Do you negatively compare yourself to others?

KarenYvonne

Hello sexy people!

I have gone through a wonderful transformation when I finally stopped comparing myself to others! I did so by taking the follow steps:

Show my rivals some love: instead of hating on them, I congratulated them on their success! This was hard at first but after a while I started to mean it!

Look to them for inspiration: I took a hard look at their lives and learned so much from it. Now I am a much stronger person.

Loved my UNIQUENESS: I took a hard look at myself and realized that I had a lot to offer the world too!

What have you done to stop comparing yourself to others?
@karenyvonne

R. Paradon

Hello sexy people!

I have gone through a wonderful transformation when I finally stopped comparing myself to others! I did so by taking the follow steps:

Show my rivals some love: instead of hating on them, I congratulated them on their success! This was hard at first but after a while I started to mean it!

Look to them for inspiration: I took a hard look at their lives and learned so much from it. Now I am a much stronger person.

Loved my UNIQUENESS: I took a hard look at myself and realized that I had a lot to offer the world too!

What have you done to stop comparing yourself to others?
@karenyvonne
Nice post Karenyyonne!

There is not much more that I can offer. I just stopped comparing myself with others years ago. It is a silly habit...no matter who or what you are you can do anything you want if you have the patience and fortitude! I compete with myself and not others!

And thanks for realizing that I am sexy ~ not everybody does anymore! :rolleyes:

KarenYvonne

Nice post Karenyyonne!

There is not much more that I can offer. I just stopped comparing myself with others years ago. It is a silly habit...no matter who or what you are you can do anything you want if you have the patience and fortitude! I compete with myself and not others!

And thanks for realizing that I am sexy ~ not everybody does anymore! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your response! lol

and you are welcome!

Jessi

I think we all have at some point or another. It might be about looks or career/financial differences or even their happiness levels. It could be anything. I think some of it, we grow out of, but much of it takes a conscious effort to get rid of. It's too easy to fall into the negativity if you're not careful.

KarenYvonne

I think we all have at some point or another. It might be about looks or career/financial differences or even their happiness levels. It could be anything. I think some of it, we grow out of, but much of it takes a conscious effort to get rid of. It's too easy to fall into the negativity if you're not careful.
I agree! what has helped you to not fall into the trap of negatively comparing yourself to others?

Rea

I went through this stage of 'negatively' comparing myself to others especially in terms of skills and abilities. I can't say I was jealous, but it was more of an I-can't-be-that-great-no-matter-how-I-try attitude... I ran myself down... kind of demotivated most of the time..

What helped me though was a self-realization that hey, if they can do it then I sure can. They're my living proof that it's possible for me to achieve what they have achieved.

It also helped me overcome my comparing by giving myself feedback at the end of the day whether I did good at the task or what else could I do to make it better the following day.So I compared myself with myself (I hope that makes sense)... Doing this increased my motivation to move forward and aim for a higher level of success.. :)

KarenYvonne

I went through this stage of 'negatively' comparing myself to others especially in terms of skills and abilities. I can't say I was jealous, but it was more of an I-can't-be-that-great-no-matter-how-I-try attitude... I ran myself down... kind of demotivated most of the time..

What helped me though was a self-realization that hey, if they can do it then I sure can. They're my living proof that it's possible for me to achieve what they have achieved.

It also helped me overcome my comparing by giving myself feedback at the end of the day whether I did good at the task or what else could I do to make it better the following day.So I compared myself with myself (I hope that makes sense)... Doing this increased my motivation to move forward and aim for a higher level of success.. :)

That makes perfect sense! Looking to "them" as sources of inspiration instead of jealousy is, to me, the best way to grow from the situation! thanks Rea

Thomas

Hi Karen,
Nice post, I feel that it is vitally important to first and foremost 'accept what is'. What I mean is, don't fight the current situation so hard that you spend all your energy on doing that. Instead I found that accepting the situation and then making a plan to change and taking action is the key.
If you keep on fighting 'what is' you will give it more 'power'.

cheers

pafjlh

This discussion inspired me so I wrote an article about it on my website... i hope you like it
http://karenyvonne.net/2012/11/19/honey-there-is-no-comparison-2/
That was quite a good article that you wrote there, being a writer I was a bit envious. No, just kidding LOL, thought I would just tease about that given the subject. However, it was good none the less.

As for myself have I even been jealous of someone else and their achievement? I would be lying if I said I wasn't. Its rather difficult not to be jealous of other, however, I have learned that even if there is still a hint of envy its more important to be genuinely happy for that person. No matter how hard that maybe at the time. Try to remember that their achievement is just that their achievement. If they can achieve something wonderful in their lives why can't I do the same. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it won't some day.

As for being jealous of someones looks. I will admit that I also did this when I was younger. Hey I was an awkward kid its hard not to envy the prettier girls. But the older I got the more I was grateful for who I was and how I look. Many tell me I look just like my late mother, and for me there was no one more beautiful then her. So, I am happy with how I look now.

marlinealcott

I compare myself to others all the time. It's difficult not to when you have a skin condition that makes you ugly.

Lana James

Hi all, Hi Karen..
Wow, that's pretty good. Sometimes we can't really help but compare ourselves to others, but I guess that's a thing that we can make as an inspiration to change for the better.

Forrester080

Hi all,

I totally agree with you all that we should not compare ourselves to the others. Because the action of comparing starts at a negative state of mind that all we want to compare mostly are our own weak points, we may not find our advantages and strengths from that. On the other hand, being independent and confident is the strongest and most positive way of thinking. It will differentiate us from the others, not isolated from them. And looking at your avatar I can see that positive energy inside of you. Thanks a lot for your sharing.

SweetSerendipity

I do compare myself to others, especially my sister. She is about 12 years younger than me, has a perfect body, skin, job, artistic ability, and has been dating a really sweet guy for about a year. I feel like I inherited the garbage genes sometimes: I have a hard time losing weight, I still break out as a adult, I've already been divorced and have kids, and I am having a hard time finding a job even though I just graduated with my bachelors degree. It is really hard for me to not look at my sister and be envious, and this is something that I hope to figure out as I can see how it affects my happiness and makes my tough times feel even harder.

ClutterMind

I used to be really insecure about myself, especially in regards to relationships with women.

What got me out of it was a close friend of mine who suggested a pick up book (yes, it's pathetic I know, a book on how to pick up women), and while it was an interesting read, what really helped me the most was the idea that the life that you have right now not something that you're just born into, and there's nothing you can do to change it. Your life really for the most part is a result of the choices and decisions you make, and how you choose to view the world.

It seems like a simple concept, but at the time, all of a sudden, I felt like I had the ability to really work on myself, and build a life that I am proud of. Since then, I have been more confident then I ever would have imagined 5 years ago. I'm constantly working to better myself.

If anyone is interested, I'm starting up a self-improvement blog (in my sig), because I feel that I should pay it forward, and help others (as my friend has helped me). Thank you.

Wilson Lau

Comparison is inevitable but there are good and bad comparison. bad comparison will make you feel inferior and you will always lagging behind. Good comparisons will make you to push yourself more for better progress and you can even do better than the person you are comparing in the long run:)