Do You Meditate?

beingwell

I've read somewhere that it is good for our soul and our minds to meditate everyday. It energizes us. It refreshes our minds as well as our bodies. It allows us to connect to the universe and everything else around us. For starters, 30 minutes would be enough. This means shutting out everything. Thinking of absolutely nothing for the entire 30 minutes.

I tried it and it is hard. A lot of things will come to mind once you wanted to think of nothing else. Anyway, do you meditate or have tried to do so?

speedy

Advisor Member
I tried it but not much. Yes, it is good. The quietness and just listening to your heartbeat heals our inner feelings. I will try it again one of this day. It is very helpful to have a sound mind. God bless

beingwell

I tried it but not much. Yes, it is good. The quietness and just listening to your heartbeat heals our inner feelings. I will try it again one of this day. It is very helpful to have a sound mind. God bless
That's true. Actually, our mind is more productive later on when we let it rest and connect with nature itself. Quite similar to a battery, our minds need to recharge. Sleeping is a different kind of rest, of course. Meditation heals our soul, as well.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
That's true. Actually, our mind is more productive later on when we let it rest and connect with nature itself. Quite similar to a battery, our minds need to recharge. Sleeping is a different kind of rest, of course. Meditation heals our soul, as well.
Taking a few minutes every day to reflect inwardly in quiet thought and meditation is a good way to energize and sync up our mind, body and spirit for perfect harmony and union.

Cecil Estrera

Well, I haven't tried doing so but I believe that it has great benefits in our brain.
I have read in an article the advantages of meditation and it says:

Over 2,000 studies conducted in 500 universities over the last 40 years have consistently demonstrated many powerful positive benefits of meditation.

Some of the physical effects include:
  • Stabilizing blood pressure
  • Lowering heart rate and respiratory rate
  • Reducing stress hormones
  • Slowing the aging process
  • Improving mental functioning
  • Improving brain wave coherence
  • Improving the strength of the immune system

Some of the psychological effects include:
  • Decreasing stress, anxiety, and depression
  • Decreasing the fear of death
  • Increasing joy of living
  • Increasing positive emotions attitude toward life
  • Increasing self-confidence
  • Increasing spiritual awareness
I think I'll try it out one of these days :)

zararina

Coaching Member
Yes i had tried it too but my mind is having a very hard time emptying or calming itself. I guess i have not really experienced yet to be in a state of meditation. Although will till hope someday i could really make it. I guess i need a more peaceful place and a relaxing ambiance to make it happen to me.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Meditation is one way to make the mind get rejuvenated and refreshed and this is quite proven with so many studies detailing the many benefits this practice can endow unto us. I think anybody who is really serious getting into meditation must attend a class for this topic so that correct techniques can be learned. Otherwise, there are now so many sites dealing with meditation even for free.

yurithebest1

I usually meditate when i am in a place where there is no one or just some few people around like in the beach, forest...And yes, it is true that it really helps me to recharge my batteries after a very long and stressful week, it also calms me down and makes me feel so peaceful.

DeeNeely

I guess it depends on what you call meditating. Do I do what the great mystics say to do for meditation? No. I know I am strange, but I use science and mathematics as a form of meditation. In contemplating the nature of the universe I find solace in its deeper meanings. When I am angry and need to calm down I tend to count to sixteen in binary because counting to ten doesn't take long enough. LOL.

Daniel paul

Once I tried to meditate seriously and collected materials from net like meditation video clips, article etc. Meditation is a great things. Meditation keep mind stable and controlled. It refreshes mind and soul which keeps your body healthy.

MariaM

I meditate daily and I've gone on a 5-day and 7-day meditation retreat. I used to think the goal of the practice was to quiet my mind. But through the teachings I received from one meditation instructor, in particular, I came to understand that sitting with myself means to observe and to investigate what goes on inside. When I sit on the cushion, I no longer get frustrated that my mind wonders. I watch where it goes and study why it takes me there. I describe my meditation experience as going through a meat tenderizer -- it is a painful experience, but each time, it softens my heart a little more.

fancyfingers

I've read somewhere that it is good for our soul and our minds to meditate everyday. It energizes us. It refreshes our minds as well as our bodies. It allows us to connect to the universe and everything else around us. For starters, 30 minutes would be enough. This means shutting out everything. Thinking of absolutely nothing for the entire 30 minutes.

I tried it and it is hard. A lot of things will come to mind once you wanted to think of nothing else. Anyway, do you meditate or have tried to do so?
I do not meditate, but when I do yoga, my mind is cleared of everything, so I can focus on proper breathing and making sure I am in the pose correctly. When I am done, I do feel so refreshed and like I can tackle anything that is placed in front of me. I think doing yoga is as close to meditation I will get.

attentionshift

Yeah, its too tough.... I used to keep my mind free of everything whenever the religious prayers are said... Otherwise there is hardly a minute when the mind gets free of thoughts.

SifuPhil

There are many, many forms of meditation; not all of them require one to "empty their mind".

Meditation can be used in a problem-solving mode, a relaxation mode, a reflective mode, a future-planning mode and more. There are static and dynamic meditations. There is a mistaken perception that every meditation requires one to already be a Zen master, but the truth is that there are meditation exercises for everyone at all levels of ability.

Karim Jessa

I guess it depends on what you call meditating. Do I do what the great mystics say to do for meditation? No. I know I am strange, but I use science and mathematics as a form of meditation. In contemplating the nature of the universe I find solace in its deeper meanings. When I am angry and need to calm down I tend to count to sixteen in binary because counting to ten doesn't take long enough. LOL.
I think I'm similar to DeeNeely in this respect. Somehow the methods and reasons for meditation as taught by the great mystics just doesn't make sense to me. Yet, I'd say I do meditate.

It is in this sense that I agree with DeeNeely, except that for me the subject is philosophy. I'm not a science oriented person, so science and mathematics wouldn't be something to take my mind to a higher plane.

But with philosophy I do feel that I'm meditating. But for me meditation does not mean shutting off my mind. I don't think an intention to stop the flow of thought really works at all. The mind will do what it's been created to do, which is to think. I believe the reason for the tension in the minds of most people is that they are forcing the mind to think about things which do not match their natural inclinations.

If people simply did what they love doing, as DeeNeely does, the mind will be peaceful. It will actually feel more rested than it does through sleep.

So, in answer to the question: Do you meditate? My answer is no, if it's the way of the mystics; and yes if it's DeeNeely's way.

A

artistry

...I used to meditate, but I've gotten away from it. As I remember, it was a great way to calm your nervous system and to relax yourself. There are different types of meditation, but my meditation was a very elementary form. I have done a bit of reading on meditation. Stress can also be relieved by meditating.

SifuPhil

I think I'm similar to DeeNeely in this respect. Somehow the methods and reasons for meditation as taught by the great mystics just doesn't make sense to me. Yet, I'd say I do meditate.
I had one student that constantly tried the usual methods of meditation and repeatedly failed. I finally asked her what she spent 15 minutes or so a day doing. She said "washing dishes after breakfast".

Voila.

Success in meditation, like in most other things, is often disguised in the everyday act of living.

summerRain

I only tried that once but it was really hard. I am not able to focus for 15 minutes time. I can only focus and not think of anything for about 5 minutes I guess.

armony

I've actually been meditating since I was about 15 or 16 years old. To be totally honest, I don't feel like it really helped in any area in my life. I noticed what would happen is that I would just sit still but i would begin to think things to the point where it was like I was just thinking and not meditating.

The only real meditation that would calm my mind was in some yoga classes when we would focus upon our breathing or holding a pose for a certain amount of time.