Do you live in the past?

Sometimes, when I think back over my life I can see missed opportunities and roads not taken.

And, I find myself speculating over whether I should have made other decisions.

Does this happen to you?

Do you live in the past, thinking how things were before and wishing you could go back and make changes?

Is this a healthy state for the mind?
Sometimes, I find myself doing that. We cannot avoid doing so, specially when you have experienced failure.
But just the same, I manage to move on and continue. As they say, "past is past, forget it".

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Sometimes, I find myself doing that. We cannot avoid doing so, specially when you have experienced failure.
But just the same, I manage to move on and continue. As they say, "past is past, forget it".
Most days, I don't even give the past a second thought. But, there are times when nothing goes right during the day and I run my own pity party and start looking backward. It's a very selfish thing to do. I try not to live in the past or look back at my mistakes cause I have so many precious people depending on me to go forward.

zararina

Coaching Member
There are also things in my past that i regret not doing. Those are some opportunities that i just let it passed and wondering what i would have been if i grabbed that. But past is past. It was just part of our own history. I used it as reference for my future decisions in life. And i could say that it makes me more aware of what i should be considering first before doing an action or decision in life.

Most days, I don't even give the past a second thought. But, there are times when nothing goes right during the day and I run my own pity party and start looking backward. It's a very selfish thing to do. I try not to live in the past or look back at my mistakes cause I have so many precious people depending on me to go forward.
I do that too, sometimes. I think all of us cannot avoid doing so. Because every thing we are now is because of our past.

Past is a part of memories. We do not live in the past, we just usually have it taken over ourselves. This state of mind is a part of corruption which is called obbsession. I usually think about my past and take those memories as great lessons to step forward. Just remember that you can never turn back time to fix the mistakes, you can only fix it NOW, in the present.

delboy491

Advisor Member
I personally believe that sometimes reflecting on past memories can be an inspiration,things we all could have done differently.:(
I think it makes you a better person when you have made mistakes and you can draw strength from these mistakes and move on.
Anyone who tells you they haven't made mistakes haven't done ANYTHING!!..after all we all human.:)

Yes agree with you mistakes makes us perfect but still i see that many people are repeating the same mistake? so what exactly you will say about it?

delboy491

Advisor Member
It is up to the individual to make sure that they try not to repeat the same mistakes,I know this is not easy,I didn't say is was easy but like I said people can draw strength from past mistakes.
I have and will try to continue to do so and encourage other people to try and do the same.;)

I think a lot of people are guilty of this, looking back with regret, and wondering `what the hell was I thinking?!` I was more prone to this when I was younger; constantly questioning my decisions, and beating myself up for the choices I made. With hindsight I can understand why I did what I did at certain times, and why I thought I didn`t have a choice except for the one I made. But now I`m more at peace with myself, and philosophical about the decisions I made; they`ve made me the person I am today, so for now my advice is: avoid introspection, keep busy, and try to like yourself!

I have done this, I am not ashamed to admit it. After all there are times in our lives when we made choices we might regretted later. I know that when it came to my mother's illness and ultimate death I wondered for awhile if there was something I could done differently. But I had to accept that things happened the way they did, and I couldn't live my life wondering what if. I could only move forward with my life as best I could.

TheBrit

Like you I have made many mistakes and wrong decisions through my life. It's the reason that I don't live in the past. Don't mis-understand, like most people I look back and think about what could have been but I won't dwell on it. What's the point? What's done is done, for better or for worse. There's nothing that can be done about it. The future is forward, the mistakes made in the past should stand you in good stead should the same type of decision have to be made in the future but thats all, you can't live in the past.

delboy491

Advisor Member
I think the best way anybody can look at the past or past mistakes or we take the wrong road when an opportunity presents it's self is to learn from this.
Why would anybody want to make the same mistake twice especially if it's life changing.
But having said that you still need the will and desire to make any changes happen,this with a lot of people is the sticking point.
I have thought many times in my past there must be a better life for me and realizing this has made me stronger and more positive as I have grown older.
I now have a much better life....CASE IN POINT !!;)

I think failure is an important part of everyone's lives (I wrote a blog post on failure in here: http://thathungrymind.blogspot.ca/2014/01/youre-supposed-to-fail.html I hope this isn't spam).

Basically, overcoming failure in your life will make you a stronger person. Its hard, but the point is to accept it. Instead of dwelling on your past, look at your past as a lesson to learn from to better improve your life in the future. Even if you think it is too late, there are always small changes that you can make to your life right now, that will all add up. You didn't mention any specific situation so I can't really provide personal advice, unfortunately.

I don't think it's a healthy state of mind to always dwell in the past, because doing so uses up so much of your mental energy doing almost nothing. You can't change the past. You can only learn from it, and use it as motivation to move on.

I hope that helped.

Yes you're right that's exactly the same thing I realize when I found my self thinking of my past. I guess its really part of human lives to recall the past in certain ways. :(

The past is where you learn the lessons, the future is where you apply what you learnt. However the past does not equal the future. We can change our life the way we want it to be. ;)

Sometimes, when I think back over my life I can see missed opportunities and roads not taken.

And, I find myself speculating over whether I should have made other decisions.

Does this happen to you?

Do you live in the past, thinking how things were before and wishing you could go back and make changes?

Is this a healthy state for the mind?

@moneymakingmom

I have found myself living in the past many times throughout my life. I allowed this to infiltrate my life to the point where I wouldn't embark on a new goal or adventure because of similar past situations that didn't turn out the way I wanted them to. I eventually came to realize that what is in the past is exactly that... past. I made the personal decision that I was not going to be held back by the chains of fear or the thoughts of inadequacy. I committed to myself that I would continue to pursue goals, dreams, and new adventures with energy and zest and not let past experiences dictate my actions or lack thereof going forward. In my particular case, my freedom from fear allowed me the courage to write a book and begin creating my blog Just my two cents!

Have a wonderful day!

Adam J.M. Mason

narmeen

Not all past events are terrible. I can live in the past sometimes, just thinking of my childhood and how stress free it was. Living with parents was nice and having that security.

Now I have two kids and I tell myself that now it's time to give my kids the chance and experience that I got. We can't be selfish.

I wrote an article about what your past, your present, and your future say about you. You can read it below:

http://my-personaldevelopment.com/your-past-your-present-your-future-yourself/

Narmeen