Do You Enjoy Walking?

ClutterMind

I enjoy walking as well. When I do, I always leave my phone and my iPod behind, and leave with nothing but the clothes on my back. It's a good time to just relax, and let your mind wander and do a little bit of "housekeeping". We are always so connected to electronics, constantly feeding our minds information that we never really let it rest, and allow it to do other, equally important things.

I've also noticed that walking in itself is a good form of exercise. I know people who were obese, who made the commitment to walk everyday for an hour, and have made huge progress in their weight loss (this is on top of dietary changes, by the way). I think it's a habit that everyone should at least try, even just walking for 10 minutes at first can be of great benefit. I have a blog post that offers some advice for starting habits if anyone is interested.

Priya32325

Walking is such a boon to human. Great way to distress whether you walk alone ,with your friends or with your partner. Walking in woods and nature is so so relaxing with some music when you are walking alone . I love it and always take out time to walk in good weather with pedometer I can even count my calories I burnt while walking :) I think walking always gives you multiple benefits stress reliever , burning calories and some quality time spent with your loved ones.

Charles Franklin

Advisor Member
I enjoy walking, when I do it without a purpose. Walking for relaxation or as a meditation is refreshing and allows me to recharge my batteries. Beyond that, I am fast walking so that I don't really get to take the time to take in the scenery unless I slow down. (The endorphins are nice, though! :cool: )

Atehequa

Hiking trails mostly. Here we are fortunate enough to have much national forest and many state parks. When camping we day hike stretches of the Appalachian Trail and other mountain paths. Nothing more humbling than to hike a good several miles up in those densely wooded mountains, have a good look around at the wilderness and realize just how much of a small part of it all I really am.

I love walking and taking hikes up mountains. It's one of my favorite hobbies to get grounded and appreciate nature.

Phil Moufarrege

Advisor Member
I enjoy walking for stress relief, weight loss, and just the sheer joy of being in nature. I don't get to walk as often as I would like in the summertime, but in the cooler months I make it a point to walk at least once a day.
To me the biggest benefit of walking is not the exercise, but the meditative experience I recieve from it! I call these activities MOMENTS OF STILLNESS. When you are not distracted by anything, your brain has time to solve problems in your life and recieve downloads of pure creative genius!

Whenever I want to learn something new, rather than pulling out books and memorizing information, I turn to the moments of stillness and download new ideas straight from the "ether" as Nikola Tesla called it.

To get the full effect though, I believe walking outside is crucial rather than on a treadmill in a stuffy gym. You get the fresh air, the sunshine and the taking in of information from the eyes looking around at your surroundings which spark new ideas.

Thank you for bringing this topic up!

GalwayGirl88

To me the biggest benefit of walking is not the exercise, but the meditative experience I recieve from it! I call these activities MOMENTS OF STILLNESS. When you are not distracted by anything, your brain has time to solve problems in your life and recieve downloads of pure creative genius!

Whenever I want to learn something new, rather than pulling out books and memorizing information, I turn to the moments of stillness and download new ideas straight from the "ether" as Nikola Tesla called it.

To get the full effect though, I believe walking outside is crucial rather than on a treadmill in a stuffy gym. You get the fresh air, the sunshine and the taking in of information from the eyes looking around at your surroundings which spark new ideas.

Thank you for bringing this topic up!
Definitely agree with you on this. I love walking for the exercise, and the feeling of my mind being free to tap into new things. There's nothing like being able to stride out and knock the cobwebs off both physically and mentally, to set you up for the day. I often have some of my best ideas when I'm taking my morning walk, whereas my evening walk provides me with the time and space to reflect on the day's happenings, or to simply help me solve a problem that's preying on my mind.

I believe it was the father of medicine, Hippocrates, who said "Walking is man's best medicine" - amen to that!

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
I love walking. I don't do nearly enough of it, though. I would love to be able to take a walk daily, but time is an issue and it just never seems to happen much any more.
You don't have to talk your walks all at once. Instead, you can break them up into short segments throughout the day.

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
I love walking especially as a break during the workday. It is a great way to get out of the cube, recalibrate and prepare myself for the rest of my day. Luckily I have a nice park to walk near my office. While home, it is running time!!

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I have a nice park near work also, makes it a little more enjoyable. At home I enjoy taking the dog along with me, alternating running and walking based upon my stamina. I find a lot higher motivation though when the weather is nice (like it is today for me).

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member

Thora

Advisor Member
I agree on walking being one of the best ways of exercise it is also one of the best social form of exercise. It is a great way to spend time with your friends or loved ones because you can catch up and burn fat at the same time. You completely forget about the health benefit because you're busy talking and enjoying the company. You can't really do that with any other form of exercise.

Live easy!
Thora MJ

Erica Faith

Coaching Member
I use to walk after school. It takes about 30 minutes and it's one of the things I look forward to every day.

I still do it when I can. It soothes me and helps me think.

Kelly Baxter

Advisor Member
I love walking, I walk for so many reasons. Of course there is the exercise, but then you also get to have some time to sort out your thoughts, meditate, or just listen to music. I usually do my walking at the local high school track field so I don't have to worry about traffic and I have a wonderful cushioned surface to walk on so it's easier on my feet and legs.

Gabriel

It's nice to see that so many people enjoy walking. I am too laisy to walk by myself and my wife doesn't really like to walk, so I never walk as much as I'd like. :))))