Do you believe that everybody should follow their Passion in Life?

Do you believe that everybody should follow their Passion in Life?

• yes

Votes: 34 91.9%
  • no

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
Reasonably new here so I'll enter with caution....! My thoughts on the matter though:

I think it really depends what you mean by 'passion'. A few people here have defined it as 'doing something with intense emotion', while others have defined it as 'doing what you love'. Some take this to mean trying to make a life and income from a hobby.

I think of it slightly differently. I don't think you should take one of your hobbies and try to make an income by doing it all day, everyday - because I think that leads to dislike of the hobby (as it is no longer a hobby, it's a job). Example: I love playing football (soccer!) but I would find it enormously draining to try and teach football to kids all day, every day. It would soon become a chore.

I believe you should do something you are passionate about for a living - but that the passion should come from the purpose, not the activity. Meaning you are passionate because the end result (vision) you are pursuing is so incredibly important to you, not because you 'love' every moment of the process.

For example: for me, building a business around fitness might by my passion because one day it will lead to financial freedom and time freedom. Not because I want to spend all day watching clients lift weights or run on the treadmill - even though weightlifting is a 'passion' of mine.

So to summarise my opinion: passion should come from pursuing a purpose and vision, not from simply doing your hobby all day everyday.

Hopefully this makes sense!!

Andy

Nas

It's the better way to be happy: and that's damage that most of people have not understood that but it's always possible ;-)

brokenblade

Coaching Member
I believe it is better to follow your passions wisely. Of course you have to take care of other responsibilities until your passion becomes profitable enough.

MartinaK

Advisor Member
I definitely agree. When you follow your true passion everything is in flow.

jmlane

The bigger question is How do you Determine what you Passion is?
I agree with this statement, one of the difficulties with following a passion is that you will soon workout how really passionate you are about it if it becomes your day job. Through life I have got through many phases and at some point I have even thought I was passionate about it, but they have never lasted. Passion is so hard to decide.

I am an avid gym goer (15+ years) I read about fitness, watch videos on Youtube, participate in discussion about it and of course do a lot of training. I came to a a cross roads in my life where my job wasn't working, so I considered following my passion by becoming a personal trainer, as I did more and more research I found the downside of being a personal trainer. It wasn't a dream life style with a constant stream of clients where I could live in a gym for 10 hours a day - it was a painful process of constantly struggling with gyms charging extortionate fees for the 'honour' of trying to convince their customers to part with a lot of money, while coping with pressures of clients expecting instant results.

Looking at that harsh reality made me realise that I would soon grow to dislike my passion!

Chrissy

Absolutely! Obviously it should not be at the expense of our priorities not being in the right place but I believe our dreams and passions are placed in us for a reason and they are in us to go out there and do great things!

ang.necole11

Coaching Member
Just because you are following your passion does not mean you will automatically neglect other areas. And you may need to work a "regular" job to support yourself while you work on your passion. I believe that when you are living your life purpose you will be blessed with abundance and thus have the time to spend with family, etc.