Do you believe in the story of Adam & Eve?

AmazingP

Advisor Member
In the very first chapters of the Bible, we could find the story of Adam and Eve who were appointed in-charge of the Garden of Eden but must unconditionally obey all the commands from the Creator or they and the race that would soon be raised through them would be alienated.

Unfortunately, the first couple were not up to the first trial as they easily succumbed to the simple temptation posed by the Adversary. The entrance of sin eventaully molded the history of the humankind ever since and even resonate heavily on our modern world.

What do you think will happen if Adam and Even withstand the first temptation?

cindymae

The Bible is God's word, so of course I believe the story of Adam and Eve.

Since we are all born sinners, I think that even if they would have not taken that forbidden fruit, they eventually would have made the wrong choice. No one is perfect except Jesus Christ. God has given us free will so that we will choose to love Him and not feel forced into loving Him so we all fall short of His Glory.

francrislee

In the very first chapters of the Bible, we could find the story of Adam and Eve who were appointed in-charge of the Garden of Eden but must unconditionally obey all the commands from the Creator or they and the race that would soon be raised through them would be alienated.

Unfortunately, the first couple were not up to the first trial as they easily succumbed to the simple temptation posed by the Adversary. The entrance of sin eventaully molded the history of the humankind ever since and even resonate heavily on our modern world.

Very nice thought and a very nice imagination to come up with such a question. :)

My crazy answer would be: since God created us in His "likeness", then maybe if Adam and Eve were able to pass God's "evaluation", I think God would be impressed and He will make His creations in total likeness with Him, like being immortal and God may also give us some sort of powers like we're super heroes or something.

Despite all these sort of imaginations, I know God has plans for all of us, and I strongly believe that He'll always be there for us.

Have a nice day AmazingP. =)

Cecil Estrera

Honestly, I don't know if the story is true or not. That's why I don't where to believe in as well.
But I do believe in God and that He is the one who created us. He gave all things in life that we need.
And I believe we should be thankful enough for those blessings.

zararina

Coaching Member
I do believe that God created the first couple to be able to start the history of mankind. If they had obeyed the rules before, i think there would be lesser pains and diseases in this world right now.
God has given us the gift of intelligence and free will so that we could decide for ourselves. And God would want that we decide according to his will.

vest007

I am not an atheist. But I don't believe in the story of Adam and Eve. I believe in the theory of evolution by Charles Darwin rather than believing in creationism. I don't think it is unusual for religious people to believe in evolution rather than creationism.

speedy

Advisor Member
I believed about the story of Adam and Eve. But I am not sure what will happen if they resist against the first temptation. Maybe, there are only two of them in the Garden of Eden and enjoy the creation of God and His presence. Or maybe will still be able to produce children but free from sin. And maybe God will unite them and have His blessings upon them to be husband and wife.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Very nice thought and a very nice imagination to come up with such a question. :)

My crazy answer would be: since God created us in His "likeness", then maybe if Adam and Eve were able to pass God's "evaluation", I think God would be impressed and He will make His creations in total likeness with Him, like being immortal and God may also give us some sort of powers like we're super heroes or something.

Despite all these sort of imaginations, I know God has plans for all of us, and I strongly believe that He'll always be there for us.

Have a nice day AmazingP. =)
Francrislee, you also impressed me with that answer. Though you are using a very layman understanding kind of terms, the idea is something we both share. Remember that there were two trees in the garden of Eden -- and why this is not really openly discussed in connection with Adam & Even is beyond my grasp -- the tree of eternal life which symbolizes immortality and union with the Creator (of course, superpowers will certainly be given to them then) and the other tree was the tree of knowledge of good and evil which was tantamount to rejecting revealed knowledge from the Creator and instead choosing their own way of life -- a mix of good and evil ever since. Unfortunately, our first parent chose to have things on their own way. Since then, we were left according to our devising where things we thought might be good can sometimes turned out to be evil.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I am not an atheist. But I don't believe in the story of Adam and Eve. I believe in the theory of evolution by Charles Darwin rather than believing in creationism. I don't think it is unusual for religious people to believe in evolution rather than creationism.
The evolution theory changed the education of humanity ever since it was introduced by Darwin and later on picked up by his followers. It is on this foundation that modern educational system is hinged on. Modern education virtually rejected the idea that there could be a Designer of all the beautiful design we see on the universe and that there is a possibility that someone of a higher plane could have set up the harmonious arrangements of all matters in the universe. I won't argue with Darwinism -- all I can say is that life has no meaning and certainly no higher purpose with Evolution Theory.

vest007

I won't argue with Darwinism -- all I can say is that life has no meaning and certainly no higher purpose with Evolution Theory.
That is simply blindly rejecting the science and showing religious extremism. Evolution theory has nothing to do with spirituality. Darwin just says that human beings evolved out of primates. Does he gives an explanation for the evolution of primates? Theory of evolution doesn't say that all the living creatures evolved out of primates or life began with primates.

sepia_majesty

I do believe what the Bible says about Adam and Eve.

To wonder what would happen if Adam and Eve withstood temptation is an interesting point to ponder. Here's what I think: Satan was trying to come in between God and mankind. He wanted to drive a chasm between them and for God to have to curse them for their disobedience (as Satan himself was cursed). Fortunately for him, he found easy victims in Adam and Eve and was successfully able to tempt them in what appears to be his first try.

Now, if they succeeded in not sinning, I'm convinced that Satan would have kept trying to get them to sin against God. Satan is very clever and tenacious. I don't think he would have given up easily. He was committed to bringing down humankind and striking a blow at God, and he could have spent the rest of history trying to get them to sin. I think it was important for him to bring sin into the lives of the first two humans' lives specifically, before they had children, in order to curse the whole race. The Bible says sin is passed down as a generational curse. Satan would have kept trying for the rest of Adam and Eve's lives, certainly.

The good news is that God is omniscient and knew exactly when and why the sin would occur, and He had a means of overcoming Satan and forgiving sinners in either case. So even if Satan was able to get them to sin later, he would ultimately still be defeated.

zuulspaceman

I do not believe in that literally. I do believe in the metaphors present in the Bible but have a lot of trouble believing that it's a literal translation of events when there was no one there to witness them unfold.

DeeNeely

That is simply blindly rejecting the science and showing religious extremism. Evolution theory has nothing to do with spirituality. Darwin just says that human beings evolved out of primates. Does he gives an explanation for the evolution of primates? Theory of evolution doesn't say that all the living creatures evolved out of primates or life began with primates.
Actually, evolution does give an explanation of the development of primates. They, like all life, evolved from less complex forms based upon environmental forces. Primates are simply another adaptation to the environment.
Evolution does not concern itself with the origin of life. Only what happens after life started and how it progressed from simpler to more complex forms.

Just for the record. Evolutionary theory at no point says that humans evolved from monkeys. Evolution says that, some time in the past, the other primates and humanity shared a common ancestral species.

DeeNeely

If I believed the standard biblical account then I have to say the whole thing was a setup by god. If god is omnipotent and omniscient he already knew what the result would be. If he knew what the result would be, and then did it any way, then the result was what he wanted. In other words, he would have wanted humanity to know the difference between good and evil.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Precisely, I got your point. However, the point I present is that if I live a life based only on the teaching of evolution which plainly rejects the possibility of revelation, then my life would then be meaningless because no matter how we discredit religion and no matter how confusing religion is it is the only which can present to me a clearer and greater purpose in life. Of course, evolution would not try to explain the meaning of life because it does not know in the first place and I have to credit it because it never attempted in the first place. Evolution believes in a great and harmonious universe without a designer. It is just like being told that you are buying a dress which no one made..simplistic as it might be. Unfortunately, humans are equipped with that innate longing for meaning beyond what we see and feel.

Empangop

Yes, the story is true except it was told as a fable. I guess that Adam and Eve were the first humans who came from the evolution of the earlier primate, apes. There might be some instants when an ape realized that it could talk like human and learn to communicate with God. And that was time the first male ape resemble a human and claimed itself to be a human, Adam. Then, another female ape evolved into a woman whom Adam named as Eve. So, both were descendants of an ape.

iebo

The story of Adam and Eve is no more or less ridiculous than any other story of origin. The scary part for me is that there are people who believe that because its in the Bible that its absolutely true, despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Empangop

Adam and Eve were the first recorded human beings who were more civilized than any creatures that resembled them. There were other creature that were similar to Adam but there were more like monkey, ape, gorilla, chimp etc. The Bibles did tell us that Adam and Eve were naked when they were sinless and they were not shy being naked. As soon as they committed sin, they knew how to be shy and and covered their private parts. This is the proof that Adam and Eve were getting more civilized. If we see any human who is naked at the naked beach, that means he is going back to the era when Adam and Eve were not shy being naked. Those chimp, gorillas, monkeys arestill uncivilized for they are still naked to these days. Humans are only uncivilized when they make love hehehehe.....

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Adam and Eve were the first recorded human beings who were more civilized than any creatures that resembled them. There were other creature that were similar to Adam but there were more like monkey, ape, gorilla, chimp etc. The Bibles did tell us that Adam and Eve were naked when they were sinless and they were not shy being naked. As soon as they committed sin, they knew how to be shy and and covered their private parts. This is the proof that Adam and Eve were getting more civilized. If we see any human who is naked at the naked beach, that means he is going back to the era when Adam and Eve were not shy being naked. Those chimp, gorillas, monkeys arestill uncivilized for they are still naked to these days. Humans are only uncivilized when they make love hehehehe.....
Thanks for your very funny explanation. Fast track to our modern world, it seems that nudity is everywhere and we call it as art and part of freedom of expression...so far now on I will call this as uncivilized though that would not be the politically correct term and I could be facing a big protest from people who are not afraid to show what they got beneath their clothes.

A

artistry

Since I need a guide for my life, I do believe in the Bible, but it has to be interpreted by someone who is helped by the Lord. My thought would be, that if Adam and Eve had not given in to temptation, they would not have had the knowledge of good and evil. We could have been enjoying the Garden of Eden as free spirits. From there, who knows? "o) Cheers.