Do You Believe In Karma?

AmazingP

Advisor Member

We might be hearing some people talking about karma especially when somebody is doing something not good against another person.

What is karma? Actually, karma is a Sanskrit word that literally means "action." As commonly understood, karma is considered to be a punishment for past bad actions. However, karma is neither judge nor jury.

A lot of experts on this matter view karma as simply the universal law of cause and effect – or as some might out it: you reap what you sow. Embedded in the belief of karma is the idea that all of our thoughts, words and acts have corresponding energy and this can positively or negatively affect our current reality.

Do you believe in karma and how would it relate to you at present? :D

Mon-Jes

Mine's a mixed view. I know the basic Hindu types of karma, but whenever I see something described in great detail and explained and there's nothing left to question, I begin to wonder how accurate it is. That goes for any religion, not just Hinduism. I do think there's cause and effect that can stretch through various lives, and it's not always due to a simple "I did this, so now this is happening to me" process. I think events and habits we had in one life can linger and transfer to the next.

zararina

Coaching Member
We should be responsible for the consequences of our doings. It was like saying that in everything we do, there would be result whether good and bad. And that could be connected to what be are calling karma. If we do good, we could effect good results. And on the other hand, if we do bad, we should or could expect bad things in return too.

Mon-Jes

It's interesting how the definition changes. I'm not saying anyone's wrong, by the way, just that it's interesting to see the different definitions. My mantra books, for example, note the point is to have *no* karma left, that there's no good or bad karma, just karma, and we must make it disperse somehow. Others think we should aim for good karma and ensure we don't have bad karma....

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Mine's a mixed view. I know the basic Hindu types of karma, but whenever I see something described in great detail and explained and there's nothing left to question, I begin to wonder how accurate it is. That goes for any religion, not just Hinduism. I do think there's cause and effect that can stretch through various lives, and it's not always due to a simple "I did this, so now this is happening to me" process. I think events and habits we had in one life can linger and transfer to the next.
We almost the same view on karma. I think the concept of karma can almost have the same impact with the principle of "you reap what you sow" or that in "every action there is an equivalent reaction" but in my estimation this applies to us individually and can somehow affect people around us but stretching it into the concept of reincarnation that is already something I don't want to think about. In the first place, I don't believe in reincarnation since we are individually unique and we are very much responsible for our own actions. Karma to me will happen to each one of us so we have to be careful. :D :D

mhikylah fox

I don’t believe in karma but I do believe that in every thing we did there is always an equivalent reward. If you do good things then there will be a prize for that, same thing on your bad actions.;)

A

artistry

Whether it be karma or otherwise, sometimes people will do good things and it will return to them. Other times people will do what would appears to be negative things and negative things will find them. I had someone do something not so nice to my car, on a private parking lot for the house, which is occupied by two families. The police who investigated, said that no one walked on to the lot and did it, though you could not prove it. I had purchased a second car, before getting rid of my old car, and the person who sold it to me, parked it in the wrong space instead of where I had instructed, as I was not at home. So I believe the other family got angry, and scratched my newer car. Funny, because a month or so later, both older people in the house lost their jobs at the same time. Too strange. So co-incidence or not, karma or not, I thought, well people, be nice the next time. "o) Cheers.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I don’t believe in karma but I do believe that in every thing we did there is always an equivalent reward. If you do good things then there will be a prize for that, same thing on your bad actions.;)
I think you are just using another term. The concept of punishment and reward is an integral part of the teaching of karma and I think this is its part which is more popular though I believe that karma is far more than that and we may have some misconceptions on it. The idea of sowing and reaping has a similarity with karma. :D :D

I believe firmly that you will eventually reap what you sow unless you change what you sow. We see may people in the world who thought they could nullify this rule by just wishing it away but how has that worked for them? It hasn't really, in my opinion.

Dr.MDPhD

Advisor Member
To some degree yes I believe in Karma, but sometimes bad things just happen to you. You don't know why but you have to keep on because you don't know how to quit. so you hope that Karma will kick in & progress occurs.

Socrates II

The concept of karma is valid only if you recognize the causes and effects of your actions.

If something bad happens to you, you have to be able to recall something you did for which you're now paying the price. If nothing comes to mind that could be a direct cause of your misfortune, and you simply tell yourself that there must have been something that you've forgotten, or aren't aware of, then it's not really karma -- it's merely a belief.

On the other hand, if you do something which is not right, you have to then reap the effect of it. If you never suffer the consequences, it can't be karma. If you say that the effect might be felt in a future life, that again becomes a belief, because there is no confirmation.

Karma, then, is a way of explaining things which otherwise have no explanation. A typical expression is "Why do bad things happen to good people?" When there's no other explanation, we fall back on karma. So, it is a belief, as was the belief of Ralph Waldo Emerson, in his essay "Compensation."

DeeNeely

In a way. I think that your actions draw a certain kind of person to you. If you attract positive people they will support you. If you attract negative people they will destroy you. Eventually, you will be surrounded by what you breed. I know which ones I would prefer to be around.