Do we use entertainment to avoid difficult situations?

iebo

I know that sometimes when I am facing a difficult situation, instead of facing it head on and working through it I might turn to watching some television or playing a game. I do this so I can avoid the problem altogether, and I don't think its a very helpful habit. Oftentimes when we avoid our situations, they become much worse than if we had handled them in the first place.

Do you find that you ever use entertainment to avoid dealing with difficult situations?

Caroline

Gosh yes, I think everyone does sometimes. Problems involve pain and our natural reaction is to avoid pain whenever possible. It takes self-discipline and courage to face something unpleasant but the feeling after we do is wonderful. We fool ourselves into thinking if we avoid a problem long enough it will go away but we know it won't and will often get worse if we don't deal with it. Work used to be my avoidance tactic so I didn't have to face the mess of my personal life.

beingwell

I know that sometimes when I am facing a difficult situation, instead of facing it head on and working through it I might turn to watching some television or playing a game. I do this so I can avoid the problem altogether, and I don't think its a very helpful habit. Oftentimes when we avoid our situations, they become much worse than if we had handled them in the first place.

Do you find that you ever use entertainment to avoid dealing with difficult situations?
Actually, this is not an odd response to a difficult situation. You may actually be doing the right thing here.:rolleyes: But only if you are doing it right.

Well, let's see if you are what you think, then you must think and feel good in order to attract good things to your life, right? But if you are watching TV or playing a game while still thinking of your problem, well what message are you sending then? That you like to have more problems?

I think the solution here would be too think and convince yourself that everything is indeed going to be alright. Believe it. Then go and watch your TV or whatever it is that pleases you.:D

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Absolutely! And, how natural to seek out the 'warm safe place' where we can hide until the storm passes.

When I was a teen, my home life was very turbulent and so I hid in my music. It was my safe harbor against
the raging angry storm outside my door. Still sometimes, I find myself putting on my headphones and listening
to music if only to escape the inner doubts that still plague me about the path ahead.

speedy

Advisor Member

Honestly, I can't concentrate doing anything if I am in trouble without fixing the problem or looking for an alternative solution. Besides, looking for a solution if nothing can find, I went to sleep instead but still disturbed. Maybe, I go eat a lot if I am in a difficult situation and it made me fat before. I admit that I am afraid of problems and such thing,as much as possible I don't want to stay at that point longer.

XoxChrissyxoX

I use entertainment to avoid difficult situations all of the time. I don't think it's such a bad thing though. I guess it depends on the situation. If you got into an argument with someone or someone said something to upset you then it helps you keep your mind off of that person and relax. By calming down you can then look at the situation more objectively and ask yourself if it is worth getting upset over, or you can better decide how to deal with the situation when not in the heat of the moment.

Of course everything has it's good side and bad side. If you do this to avoid something important that you need to do but don't want to then it can be harmful as well. It depends on the situation.

I find that it helps me a lot though when I'm upset. Sometimes when you relax and give yourself time to gain perspective, you see that things aren't as bad as you think.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I'll use entertainment to let things cool down, whether it's me that's upset, another person or both. Men usually like to go to their "man cave" while sometimes women want to talk about it right then. Anything that can get your mind off the issue will work. It's a healthy thing, I have to remind myself to keep my mouth shut when I'm headed towards a pointless argument because I'll usually just make things worse. Too often we argue just to prove ourselves right to the other person, which isn't really the state of mind we should be in.

mslianne

I think using entertainment as a form of escapism is very normal. :)

It is sort of like a defense mechanism such as fantasy wherein we escape the reality of our troubles. I usually use them to let the heat off for a moment, and sometimes to collect my thoughts first. We use entertainment to distract ourselves sometimes, to delay confrontation. Lots of people do that all the time.

Of course this should be used in moderation, though. Too much entertainment and never facing the problem - now that's a bad thing.

Cecil Estrera

Yes I think it's one of the easiest way of escaping away from dilemmas that I experience.
Listening to music, watching TV and playing online games are just examples of it.
I think it's just right to get away from those sometimes, but resolving a difficult situation would be the best thing to do.

zararina

Coaching Member
There are really times that i do entertain myself to avoid difficult situations and problems. But i think also have positive effect. When we entertain ourselves, we become more relaxed and at peace. And therefore we could have a clearer mind and be able o think for a solution for a problem. And becoming happy could also help us see things on the brighter side of it.

clauemi

I always act like I am using my cell phone when I don't want to talk to someone annoying LOL.

vest007

Watching movies and listening to music alleviate a lot of stress sometimes. However the best will be to be in the company of your friends or your family. If that is not possible, listening to some inspirational music or watching some good movies will do good.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
The use of entertainment to temporarily lighten up your mood or to practically forget a problem is a common way of escape. And sometimes we need this to be able to rejuvenate our senses. I do use this and I think almost people do. I usually go for good movies to entertain myself or just listen to music at home whenever I felt burdened.