Disciplining your child -- What works for you?

hatteubanal

I have a 5 year-old son and I'm running out of ideas on how to discipline him without resulting to spanking. I tried giving him rewards. I also tried giving him time outs. Heck, I even tried to use reverse psychology on him. :D But he really is a toughie. I know its natural for kids to be a bit naughty at times but I am worried that if I just leave him be, he might not learn what's right from wrong. :)

As a parent, I know I have to be innovative and think of other ways. It won't hurt to ask for other parents' suggestions though. Having said that, I am seeking the help of my fellow parents here. What works for you when it comes to disciplining your child? :)

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I usually just took something away for awhile as punishment, like a toy he wanted to play with along with some scolding. If was really bad we'd do the timeout thing in his room. I think the important thing is to not make threats you don't follow through on, as they will quickly learn to ignore the treat. My wife sometimes did that, in anger she would say something she didn't really mean. They have to learn there are consequences to their actions as that is the way of life. You also want to reward good behavior so they associate positive consequences as well. Our son was overall pretty well behaved in his younger years, I think you have to tailor things to your child to some degree.

fancyfingers

Being a parent is hard. When my children make bad choices, I take away something. It could be playing a game on the Wii, or access to the Wii for a day or more, a TV program they want to watch, etc.. Taking away something that is important to them, something they value, will help them realize there is consequences for their actions. Letting them know what to expect if they choose to disobey, does help a lot. The key is being consistent.

zararina

Coaching Member
I do not have a child yet but I do have some nephews that seems to be close to me. When they do bad things, I give them lecture and making them realize their mistakes. It was in an authoritative manner/voice so that they could feel I do not like what they had done or said. I also do not give them favors they would ask me as punishments like going out to play or money for chocolates/sweets.

Cecil Estrera

I am quite strict when it comes to disciplining my kids. I would not ever tolerate a bad behavior the moment I see that they showed one. I let them do the things that they enjoy though 'cause I understand that there is only one childhood and it cannot be reversed once it had passed.

Whenever they commit mistakes, I would always tell them that it is not the right thing to do. At this early, somehow they are responding to whatever I say. They are still too young to understand all things but I hope that talking to them properly would be effective in making them grow as nice and righteous individuals.