Did having kids improve your life?

Jessi

This picture made me wonder. It seems like for a lot of people, even though a baby means things like shorter days, longer nights, and less money, that overall, they're still happier having a family than they were not having one.

What do you think?

fancyfingers

Without a doubt, for me, my children improved my life. I think depending on what you want for your life, whether or not children will or will not improve your life. I do know before I had children, time was an abstract concept to me. I know one day I will die, but when childless, it felt like that day would not ever come. Now, time is everlooming, and I think I have 30 -40 more years (Christmases, Easters, etc) with my children, if I keep myself healthy.

ayedsena

I had my first son when I was 23 and I am kinda glad because it made me grow up and continue on the right path. I am 35 years old and I have a son who is 12 and a son that is 2. They are my life and so is my hubby :)

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Good parents would always look back through the years to find that having children can be the best thing that ever happened to them. I would consider children to the single biggest source of joy and inspiration. All the success in this world and all financial triumphs would be nothing compared to seeing our children grow to be happy and wise. :D

clauemi

My kids are a good and bad thing. Good because before I had them I really had no motivation to do the thing I wanted in life. They bring a lot of happiness and good memories. Bad because now I have to see my ex husband all the time when he comes and visits them lol.

UmiNoor

I have always wanted to have children of my own. It's like having someone to keep you company all day. When I had my first child, my husband had a promotion and when I had my second child, he was again promoted. I think having children really did improve our lives financially. It's not true that children will make you have less money. Somehow or another, there will be enough for every one in the family. You just need to have faith.

amy005

Having my son has definitely brought a lot of happiness in my life as well as really put my life into perspective. I realized things I needed to do to improve my life and my sons life. It has motivated me a lot to have better goals as well.

Melody

Hello everyone, being that I had my first daughter when I was 17 years old im not sure if at that point in time it improved my life I think that it made it more complicated being that I was so young and really did not have the support of anyone besides the same man that I am still with to this day. What I can say is that I think having my daughter at the young age that I did saved me from living a bad life style because although I was young at the time I was doing drugs/drinking and invloved in some pretty questionable things that I could have ended up dead or in jail. When I found out that I was pregnant I completely cut everythink out and when she was born it did change my life forever I was no longer living for me but for her.

dors

I did not really know what happiness children can bring until I had my first born son. It is the wonders of all wonders I must say. I have realized that womanhood means motherhood. It had changed my perspective and I have discovered a lot about myself. No wonder I have spent sleepless nights, sleepy days, less savings, more happiness and more LOVE from my husband who is away.

criticalthinking

Well, I guess my answer is yes and no. I mean, my kid is great, and he improved my life in many ways. However, I didn't have any support at all, and we struggled with poverty. Obviously having kids is very expensive. So that part didn't improve my life at all. But of course, none of that was because of him, just because of the situation.

Daisiesndots

I feel that having my son really did improve my life. Before I had my son I had always heard about the love that you feel for them but I could never really imagine it. After I had my son, I finally realized how strong my love is for him. I would take a bullet for him without even thinking about it. I could not even imagine a world without my son. Before my son I spent my paychecks on clothes, shoes, vacations, etc. Now I get excited when I find him a really cute outfit, cute shoes or an awesome toy that keeps him fully occupied for 20 mins! haha. Everything I do is for him and he is everything that I think about. I truly think that children greatly improve your life. I think that you can be happy without children as well though. Especially since it is hard to really know and understand the love and joy you have as a parent. I have a different kind of happy now I think. :)

BonnyC

Without a doubt! They sure as heck didn't make it easier, but they definitely made it better when you look at the big picture. In fact, they've probably saved my life. I deal with bipolar disorder and who knows what might have happened to me if I didn't have my children. When things were at their worst, I knew that I wouldn't do anything to hurt myself because of how badly it would hurt them. Sounds, morbid, but it's true. I'm managing my condition, now. But their existence was my thread of hope when times were really, really bad.

Having children did improve my life so much. I always wanted to be a mother and do not think I would feel "complete" if I had not. My kids bring me such joy and so many happy and amazing moments.

MysteriousMommy

I have only been a mom for 16 weeks, but my babies have absolutely changed my life for the better. I struggle with depression, but since I found out I was expecting I haven't had any trouble in that area at all. As a matter of fact, I was able to come off of my antidepressants while pregnant, and haven't had to go back on them at all! I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, but when I look at my children it's like I suddenly know why I went down all of those roads. If I had changed just one thing or done one thing differently then I may not have the two beautiful children that I have today. I live my life with an overwhelming sense of joy and gratitude. It's an amazing amount of work and it's mentally and physically exhausting (especially with twins), but I wouldn't trade that for anything. No matter what I may have done in my past and no matter what I may do in my future, I know I did at least one thing (well, 2 things) right. I just hope that I can always be the kind of mother they deserve.

hollyholidaze

I definitely think having kids has improved my life! We moved out of the city to a small town to raise them, and now we have chickens and a garden and they make me laugh and remember my own childhood!

marlinealcott

I don't have any kids, and when I read threads like this, I'm not sure I want any. I see a lot of parents talking about how they used to live for themselves, and now they live for their kids, and to be honest, that doesn't sound very good to me. I want to live for myself. I want all the freedom in the world. I also can't stand having people around me all the time (I LOVE being alone) and I feel if I had a kid, I'd always have to have them there unless I got a babysitter or something.

I'm a writer and would rather spend my time making up characters and writing them versus raising characters of my own. But who knows, I'm only 30, I could still change my mind I guess.

Jessi

I don't have any kids, and when I read threads like this, I'm not sure I want any. I see a lot of parents talking about how they used to live for themselves, and now they live for their kids, and to be honest, that doesn't sound very good to me. I want to live for myself. I want all the freedom in the world. I also can't stand having people around me all the time (I LOVE being alone) and I feel if I had a kid, I'd always have to have them there unless I got a babysitter or something.

I'm a writer and would rather spend my time making up characters and writing them versus raising characters of my own. But who knows, I'm only 30, I could still change my mind I guess.
You certainly could! Or maybe living for yourself holds a different value to you than it does to other people. For some people, one of the most fulfilling things they can do is to bring another life into the world and put that in front of themselves. Everything they thought they wanted before, is somehow minor compared to this new being that means their world, ya know?

marlinealcott

It's definitely something I can understand. I would want kids if I could somehow clone myself and do both that and write books. But unfortunately I can't, and writing books takes a LOT of time and energy. I already have enough material that I want to write to the point where I'd have to live 200 years to have time for it all. I just don't see how I could have the time for children and to accomplish my dreams, at least not without slacking on my responsibility and letting someone else put most of the energy into raising them.

John Beck.

Having children did improve my life so much. I always wanted to be a mother and do not think I would feel "complete" if I had not. My kids bring me such joy and so many happy and amazing moments.
Having our son ( now aged 16 ) with out a doubt has enriched and improved our lives immensely. As an IVF baby he was hard fought for and I am thankful that we were one of the fortunate few couples to succeed. Without modern medical technology we would be without him and that to us is unthinkable. When I first held him it was love at first site ( an instant bond ).One of the feelings I had at that moment
was that we were now complete. Watching all those early childhood milestones come and go is unforgettable & priceless. My heart goes out to those couples who can't have children.

Sharon

Absolutely!!
I know for a fact I am a better person now than the young one, new in Aus heading down a path of bad choices and people.
Getting out of that situation, meeting the man of my dreams and having 3 kids, all now teenagers has definitely shaped me
into a better person by far! So grateful for them that is for sure!