Coffee can kill you! And, other food dangers

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
On a recent article at CNN Blogs, they mentioned how coffee has now been reclassified as a carcinogen similar to cell phones, making it a possible cancer causing food. Same for pickles. Have you heard of this?

Please read this article and come back here and let's talk about dangerous foods and the effect they have on our bodies.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Whoa really? Oh my God, I am addicted to coffee and I drink 2 cups a day! Is that really a fact? I think I'll check it out myself.
If CNN says it, then it's probably true, cause they were only quoting the World Health Organization and they are plugged into the health scene more so than most.

I think too much of anything can kill you. Its possible to overdose on Vitamin C. Drinking in moderation is probably fine, so I wouldn't go throwing all your coffee supplies out.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
If someone said to me, there was a good risk that any food or drink could cause cancer of the bowel, I would think twice about consuming it.
Even a little bit of a cancer causing agent can give you a LOT of cancer

And, heres a quote.
In fact, coffee is in the same 2B category ( "group 2B carcinogens" ) as cell phones because of evidence that drinking coffee could be associated with cancer of the large bowel.
Then again, there are benefits to coffee too since it was also recently linked to a lowered risk of fatal prostate cancer. So you have to weigh out the risks and decide what's best for yourself.

Thankfully, I ditched coffee years ago, in favor of tea. Many Asian societies drink only tea and have very long life expectancy.

In America and other Western countries, coffee drinking is rampant, so is road rage. Could there be a link? I think so. Any excess is unhealthy, maybe even a little is unhealthy in this situation.

If CNN says it, then it's probably true, cause they were only quoting the World Health Organization and they are plugged into the health scene more so than most.
Oh if it's not World Health Organization then I won't believe it. Hmm... I guess I have to replace coffee with some other hot drinks in the morning to warm up my stomach. Too bad I'm allergic to cow's milk.

fsxss

Always read the articles well! It says it has been classified as a POSSIBLE carcinogen, i.e. it's in the category 2B because scientists aren't sure yet, whereas tobacco for example is in category 1 because there are no doubts about it being carcinogenic.

From the article:
"In fact, coffee is in the same 2B category as cell phones because of evidence that drinking coffee could be associated with cancer of the large bowel. On the other hand, coffee was also recently linked to a lowered risk of fatal prostate cancer, so go figure."
Read this too, it's also from CNN.

So, actually there are other reports that say coffee can help against other kinds of cancer. As always, a good rule of thumb is to consume things in sensible quantities. When you exaggerate, even water is poisonous for you.

speedy

Advisor Member
Thank you for sharing. I love pickles and I didn't know that it will possibly kill us. I will do more research about coffee because previously I read that coffee is good thing to fight against cancer and tehy even made a survey that women that drink coffee is high cancer risk-free. Once, I am addicted to coffee but I forcefully stop it because it triggered my goiter problem in connection with my heart palpitation. Nothing change, life is normal with or without coffee. But it was a terrible fight dealing with headache because of the absence of coffee.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Thanks for sharing that article. I do love coffee although I only have one very big cup each morning. It seems like nearly every food except organic produce has some sort of possible risk with it, it's very frustrating. I don't really trust the reports that much either, as the press wants to sensationalize every new finding, and they typically don't really point out the facts from a scientific standpoint. I think moderation is key, so that if some food does have too much of some bad thing, you're minimizing it.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Coffee is one of the most intriguing food/beverage ever. It is considered to be one of the world's top commodities traded everyday in various markets all over the world. Unfortunately, there is a confusing array of studies and opinions regarding coffee. Some are praising its antioxidant content while others are linking it to health risks.

So what is the truth? The truth is that coffee can be of big benefits to some people while at the same time it can magnify risks for some. In other words, it all depends on your body if it can process coffee to its advantage or otherwise. As to the way to determine which category your body might be, that is what I could not answer yet.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Thank you for sharing. I love pickles and I didn't know that it will possibly kill us. I will do more research about coffee because previously I read that coffee is good thing to fight against cancer and tehy even made a survey that women that drink coffee is high cancer risk-free. Once, I am addicted to coffee but I forcefully stop it because it triggered my goiter problem in connection with my heart palpitation. Nothing change, life is normal with or without coffee. But it was a terrible fight dealing with headache because of the absence of coffee.
And, before then, I'd read that women who drink coffee daily (at least a cup) have lower risk of suicide cause they don't slump into depression so easily. That's one of the main reasons I drink caffeinated tea cause I'm concerned about depression and listlessness.

As for the headaches, are you getting enough water? Coffee and caffeinated teas and drinks provide a substantial portion of daily water intake and when you cut it out, you have to replace it with fresh plain water. The headaches most often associated with caffeine withdrawal are usually related to dehydration.

And, I get those too, another reason I drink tea. If you warm the water and then set a tea bag in, you can get a very light dose of caffeine that might not be harmful. That will take the edge off your headaches and caffeine withdrawal when you stop again.

fsxss

For those of you that get headaches from coffee withdrawal, how much coffee are you drinking everyday? I ask this because in my own experience, headaches related to coffee usually come from taking too much of it. Usually I drink two espressos a day because I think that's the perfect balance for me in terms of energy gained and side effects. When I happen to drink four or more espressos in one day, that's when the headaches start.

So, in my case the headaches are associated with excess coffee and not from withdrawal, but for those of you that experience withdrawal, have you dried cutting back a little? If you cut back your coffee intake from, say, five cups a day to only one overnight, you're bound to feel the effects of withdrawal more, but I think if you tried cutting back only one cup a week (for example), the side effects wouldn't be that bad.

Has any of you tried a gradual cutback in coffee consumption? Did it work for you?

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Drinking too much of any caffeinated beverage is not good for the body. There is always a drawback to every good thing. If you take too much Vitamin A, you could get liver damage. Do you see what I mean? Vitamin A is good for you, but not too much. Same for coffee or tea or caffeinated beverage.

As for the headaches, are you getting enough water? Coffee and caffeinated teas and drinks provide a substantial portion of daily water intake and when you cut it out, you have to replace it with fresh plain water. The headaches most often associated with caffeine withdrawal are usually related to dehydration.

And, I get those too, another reason I drink tea. If you warm the water and then set a tea bag in, you can get a very light dose of caffeine that might not be harmful. That will take the edge off your headaches and caffeine withdrawal when you stop again.[/quote]

This is a very interesting post, as I've always heard that both tea, coffee and alcohol dehydrate our bodies and that we should drink a glass of water for every cup of coffee, tea or glass of alcohol we consume. I'm not saying your not right, but I would love to see where you got this information. Because clearly there are different views on this and I find it interesting to see which views are out there :)

S

Syarina

http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer/nine-quick-food-facts/does-coffee-have-health-benefits
I love coffee but have done without it before. 2 years was my longest stint. It was because I wanted to go natural and get on a fitness program for long term health. I did without processed foods and anything that was meant to toxify my body; coffee was one of the items on the list. Since then, I have been reading a lot of contradicting information on the matter. Anything in moderation is suppose to be fine for our bodies. The key is moderation. I suppose a cup of coffee a day leads up to more toxic build up because we are diligently drinking it. Long term effects maybe? I have included a link on organic coffee.

Apparently organic coffee hasn't gone through all the processing that makes the coffee bean the toxic thing it becomes. I have my organic coffee with a little coconut milk. It does the trick :)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Apparently organic coffee hasn't gone through all the processing that makes the coffee bean the toxic thing it becomes. I have my organic coffee with a little coconut milk. It does the trick :)
It's true that coffee does go through a 'wash' once the coffee bean is harvested. This chemical used to wash the bean might be harmful to the human body, as opposed to the actual coffee bean being dangerous. As you say, there are other factors at work. Maybe coffee companies are adding ingredients to the ground coffee as preservative or for other reason and that is what is dangerous to the human body. Organic coffee sounds like a very nice alternative. Thanks for the suggestion.

tired

I've heard good and bad about coffee over the last 20 years. As someone said - everything in moderation - my husband on the other hand drinks way too much coffee but no other caffeine like tea or soda, chocolate in moderation so I am hoping it is okay.

If the chemicals used for washing coffee is carcinogenic, then avoid normal coffee and take organic coffee. Drinking coffee does have benefits as well as disadvantages. But labeling it as a carcinogen is going too far!

zararina

Coaching Member
It is a bad news for coffee addicts and pickle lovers out there.
There are lots of researches and findings about coffee, and this new thing about it is so confusing cause it contradicts to the previous one. We just have to drink or eat in moderation to be safe. As i also believe that anything in excess is not good.

Mark

I quit drinking coffee because of the acidity. I have switched to green tea, I did not really like the taste at first but it has grown on me and it is supposed to be very healthy.