Changing My Self Image

Hey everyone,

I have been noticing an obstacle in my path which some others may be experiencing themselves, so I figured it might be a good idea to create a thread about it. I'm an only child and since I was a kid I mostly spent time alone and in my comfort zone. Because of this, I subconsciously developed the self image that I am meant to be lonely and I also instilled a fear of rejection deep within.

It is my understanding that our self image is what guides our daily behaviours and actions, and recently I have been longing for companionship and friendship. However, despite my desire to meet new people I find myself hiding beneath my armour and protecting my ego from rejection. I have been following Teal Swan's strategies for changing beliefs on YouTube but am still finding myself resisting taking actions towards making friends.

So my question for you all today is, how can we work on our self image? How did you go from being shy and inhibited to being open and expressive? What did the journey look like?

Thank you.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
That's no easy thing to solve, I'm still on that path myself. It helps some to refine "shy" as "an introvert" and learning to understand that is not negative thing. It can help to read one of the books out there on how introverts work. You can be "quiet" but not "shy" meaning, you're not afraid to speak up, but you just don't like to talk just for the sake of talking or impressing someone.

The best skill as an introvert for making friends is know how to ask questions and do active listening. It's easy to do, you just have to maintain awareness of when and how to do it.

That's no easy thing to solve, I'm still on that path myself. It helps some to refine "shy" as "an introvert" and learning to understand that is not negative thing. It can help to read one of the books out there on how introverts work. You can be "quiet" but not "shy" meaning, you're not afraid to speak up, but you just don't like to talk just for the sake of talking or impressing someone.

The best skill as an introvert for making friends is know how to ask questions and do active listening. It's easy to do, you just have to maintain awareness of when and how to do it.
Yeah it definitely helps to understand where the roots lie, do you have any personal recommendations for reads regarding that topic?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member