Can a website really make money?

pwcross

Hi, folks,

For a year or so now, I've been toying with an idea in my mind for a website that I think would be useful to people. I wouldn't be selling a product, just providing an online space for people to connect with each other. Before I launch into the time and financial investment it would take to build a site, though, can anyone tell me if it's realistic to expect to make any real income off of a website, particularly one that doesn't sell a product or service?

Thanks in advance for your input!

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Realistic yes, easy no. Do you have a niche or unusual concept to do? There are so many sites for connecting to each other (social networking) that it would be hard to attract interest unless you do something unique and/or have the ability to reach out to a particular type of group. And the smaller the niche, the harder it will be to have the volume of traffic such that you can make money off ads vs. selling something.

Making money on the internet is like starting a small business; if you are really serious about it, it takes a lot of time, knowledge, and money to make larger amounts of money. Shortcuts usually fail and waste money. The other approach is to to build a website that's on a topic you're passionate about, and just do it for the fun and challenge of making it popular, sort of like a hobby. If you remove the sense of urgency to make a profit, you can take the necessary time to learn and grow the website. And if people don't feel the websites's main purpose is to sell things to them, they may be more likely to return.

Getting traffic to a website is the single hardest thing really, no easy answers there, just different methods, some cost money, some just take of work and knowing what you're doing. My most successful websites took a couple years before they made much money, and even then not even close enough to earn a living with.

pwcross

Hi,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. This is a difficult decision to make. On the one hand, I'm a full-time mom who does a little part-time work, so my time and finances are stretched quite thin. So, it's difficult to justify cutting into that time unless it'll be worthwhile financially. On the other hand, I do think I have a unique idea with niche audience (a sizable niche). Also, I do feel passionate about the idea. I have decent coding skills, although I'm by no means a professional. Perhaps what I should do is not hold myself to any timeline, and just build the site slowly as a hobby -- like you suggest -- and accept that it may take a long time!

Thanks again!

zararina

Coaching Member
I agree that it was possible since they are lots of online workers already earning from different sites. Although it could not be that big earning for some but at least there are really legit sites out there. It requires hard work and patience since it was not that easy specially for those who are still new on online earning. If you have lots of online skills such as programming and writing, the better possibility to earn more and more online.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Building a site with the purpose of making some money is very much possible and a lot of bloggers and webmasters are into this thing right now. However, we should be aware that building a successful site requires a lot of time and effort. You must produce regular content for your site -- uniquer and quality content. SEO practices should be followed and then you got to build backlinks for the site in order to increase its pagerank in the eyes of Google. Lastly, you must entice traffic to the site because a very good site can be worthless if there is no traffic. Traffic is the source of revenues.

In terms of monetization, you can sell your won product, sell products of other people or affiliate marketing or you can display advertisements on your site where you are paid for every click generated. I think most successful sites are using all the available monetization techniques so as to broaden coverage and mileage.

All these things should never daunt a motivated and hardworking person to explore and find ways to establish breakthrough sites doing good money in the cyberspace.

Good luck! :D :D