Buy a Punching Bag

digitalbrew

I know it sounds awkward to encourage someone to buy a punching bag but I have found this quite effective in so many ways to keep one healthy physically and mentally.

If you're the destructive type, a punching bag can help in letting those pent up energy out. Punching the bag rigorously can also help in burning those excess calories away.

If you're the depressed type without something unknown bothering your head, a punching bag is a great way to release it. Just punch mindlessly and hopefully the happy hormones will start kicking in along with the physical exercise.

The punching bag also works great for frustration and anxiety.

Any other suggestions?;)

Jessi

Oh I agree. Punching bags can be great. For me personally, I don't really have the room for it and I don't think I would use it that often. Even just punching the air can be therapeutic, though, and is still very healthy. I used to take tae-bo, which is essentially punching and kicking the air, and it's definitely a workout.

pafjlh

You know you could actually have something there. I find that when ever I am frustrated I want something to hit at times. I have a tendency to hit my pillow in my bedroom, so I guess having a punching bag to hit would be a good way to work out frustration and get it out of your system.

A

artistry

This is a very good idea. It does all those things. It would definitely relieve stress. Playing tennis can help you get rid of the tension as well.

bneil

If you do not have a punching bag, you could just do some shadow boxing to relieve some stress and anger if you have it is effective and also improves fitness and make us sweat.

buroo

This is a great idea particularly for people who tends to use real people as punching bags, particularly some abusive men who use their wives as punching bags. Also those who can't punch their irate and verbally abusive bosses will have this bag to vent their anger imagining the face of that deplorable fellow! Lastly this must be provided to the bullies in school that scar other kids for life by using them as punching bags at will. In a nutshell, it will solve a lot of problems in life. Thanks for your novel suggestion.

R. Paradon

I have mixed feelings on punching out your stress. When I was in college we used Bataka sticks in advanced psychology and although it was pleasant to "bat" somebody you were at odds with over the head, it was only a quick remedy. Later on they were dismissed as having no effect on stress.

I suppose that a punching bag should be ok for instant gratification, but if the feeling lingers on after the workout other methods are needed to eliminate the problem.

Dorothy

Bataka sticks, punching bags either one is good to release stress or anger etc.. good suggestions!!

Sophia G

This is a great idea not only for relieving stress, but also for exercise! A bit impractical if you need to punch out your boss though :)

Jessi

I have mixed feelings on punching out your stress. When I was in college we used Bataka sticks in advanced psychology and although it was pleasant to "bat" somebody you were at odds with over the head, it was only a quick remedy. Later on they were dismissed as having no effect on stress.

I suppose that a punching bag should be ok for instant gratification, but if the feeling lingers on after the workout other methods are needed to eliminate the problem.
I suppose that's true.

Sometimes the instant gratification is enough to clear your mind, though. If you can get all the frustration out, then sometimes you can go ahead and think your situation overly more clearly. If it's something you can control and alter, then that may be all that's necessary to finally move forward instead of being upset.

marlinealcott

I've had multiple boyfriends with violent anger issues and have tried giving more than one of them a punching bag. I've found that most times, when men are angry, they don't go out and punch the bag. They still break things in the house. People who are aggressive like that aren't able to control themselves in the moment--that's the problem. I wish this would work because my current partner can be violent. :(