Breaking out of an Introverted Lifestyle

Patrick Frank

Advisor Member
Largely an introvert, I have recently been reaching out more, to both family and to members of my community, and a broader network of friends/axuqaintances online. It has been a slow process, but I have made a number of steps forward:

*Reconnecting with extended family members on my father's side, after many years.
*Joining a poetry discussion group/open mic.
*Started to attend worshop services at Unity Church.
*Renewed my application to vounteer in the fall in the Asheville school system.

This is an important development, though I am well aware that jumping in too fast and going too far with socializing is not a good idea, and in fact could lead me back into relative isolation.

I know that as a writer, I need an adequate amount of input with the outside world, or my writing will simply dry up. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a total introvert. I see introversion/extroversion as a sliding dscale, rather than an either-or personality trait. I am more introverted than extroverted, but not by a great deal.

Still, isolation can become a habitual lifestyle, even leading one into agoraphobia. (Let me say, at this point, that I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but rather a second master's teacher and counselor). Nevertheless, I am quite familiar with the diagnostic criteria, but counseling was the major focus of my work as a helper.)

Stepping out into new areas of socialization is, of course, anxiety provoking, but working through that anxiety is worth the pain of it. I simply lose perspective on self and others when I isolate myself too much. And I lose my edge as a poet and essay writer.

*Joining a Buddhist meditation group.

saliksaly

Advisor Member
Hello

I recognize myself to be introvert too.
I've realized that spending time with other people rather consumes my energy as opposed to extroverts.
It is an obstacle in some aspects of my life. I cannot take jobs which I would like, I cannot get friends easily...
I have been practicing a buddhist meditation for a few years. As I recognized, it does not make me more extrovert but it slowly makes that I am more satisfied with myself.

The contemporary society appreciates extroverts - being funnier.

Do you know Susan Cain? She writes and talks about introversion.
http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts

Patrick Frank

Advisor Member
Thanks for the comment. I have read some of her writing. I think it is important for us to gain self-acceptance and not allow ourselves to be shoehorned into a lifestyle that just does not fit.

Patrick Frank

Advisor Member
Life plan? I plan short- and long-term all the time through the journaling process. It can be complicated, figuring all of the parameters out though. Setting priorities short- and long-term can be challenging, at least for me...

Ethanbridges

Advisor Member
Patrick, this may not help, but I just wanna say I can relate with you and that post you made is just wonderful. Good luck, mate. Would love to see some of your writings. :)