Beyond Comfort Zones

Innersky23

Who wants to be uncomfortable? NOBODY!

But being uncomfortable in a constructive sense, means that you’re developing and growing!

It’s true.

Let’s illustrate this.

Here’s an example of two people. One by the name of Jerry, and the other by the name of Bill.

Example 1: BILL

Bill dreams of a great social life. Bill also has social anxiety and is scared stiff in approaching other people. He can’t do this when grocery shopping, when taking his kids to a soccer game, or even when wanting to ask a girl out on a date. Bill also avoids picking up phone calls, and goes out his way to not make friends. He’s had a gym membership for 3 years and has only gone 10 times! He hates doing anything social and would rather be comfortable and safe at home.

Example 2: JERRY

Jerry also has social anxiety, and has the same fears as Bill.

BUT…

Jerry has been doing research on his anxieties, and is determined to change his life. He knows that he can’t achieve his life goals or dreams without other people. So, he makes it a goal to see as many people as possible. He purposely works out at the gym every day in the afternoon during rush hour. He makes it a goal to say hi to 5 people a day, and start conversations with 2 of them. He signed up for classes at his gym; Yoga and Weight Training. Jerry’s even made a facebook page. He’s doing all he can to improve his chances of success in creating his dream social life.

Now, who do you think will achieve SUCCESS faster?

Of course, Jerry! He’s modified his environment with desire boosters, and made a commitment to change his mind set in regards to people and socializing. Whereas Bill is hung up in his old ways and is resistant to change.

Getting out of your comfort zone may be uncomfortable now, but the more uncomfortable you get now the more comfortable you’ll be later!

AmazingP

Advisor Member
This is absolutely true. Not unless we are willing to break the ceiling of our comfort zone, we maybe limiting our personal and professional growth. I have witnessed thing with myself and some of my friends and at the end we ended up with almost nothing because we were not that brave to face things which can bring inconvenience and discomfort to us. Never made the same mistake. :)

It is necessary for eeryone to go out of their comfort zones at times. It is the best way to achieve the highest level of success. It can also be very rewarding when you accomplish something that you never thought you would.

digitalbrew

You'll never now what you are capable of unless you try it. It's definitely Jerry.

I have to admit though, having anxiety, depression and any other psychological issues can be quite hard for a person so one small step can be a mile for him/her.

Getting out of your comfort zone can be difficult. It's most certainly a challenge. But one thing's for sure, if you've done it once, it becomes a lot easier the second time around.

IsabelleChan

You are right. Getting past our comfort zones is vital when it comes to reaching further success. Obstacles, personal deficiencies included are ever-present on the road towards the final goal but accepting challenges and tackling problems can make things easier. It's not always easy to feel uncomfortable, but the pain will be worth it.

OhioTom76

I switched from a career in web development to search engine marketing several years ago and it was probably one of the most rewarding things I've done in years since I learned so much and gained a whole new skill set in a relatively new field - it's only been around for about 10 years now. The most important factor in it all was that I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with a very talented boss who mentored me extensively all along the way and had a lot of faith in me.

A

artistry

Very good article. If you can push yourself to do it, it could certainly be beneficial. Also a ecellent means of growth. Thanks for sharing.