Best Ways to Ignite Sustainable Motivation

Is staying or getting motivated an issue for you?

• No, I'm a machine!

• Yes!

• From time to time

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have always found motivation to be an interesting topic.
Here are some of he best practices and methods that I have come across. Hope you enjoy!

Pain and Pleasure
Our lives are governed greatly by two forces: pain and pleasure. We get out of bed at some ungodly hour because we fear the pain of what could happen if we do not go to work, school, etc… Likewise, we may stay in bed a little longer because of the pleasure that staying in bed brings us.

Pleasure

The downsides of Pleasure
Many of the distractions that we face give us immense pleasure. Social networking sites allow us to live vicariously through the highlight reels of famous people, stay far too up to date on the lives of other people ( I don’t really need to know what you ate for brunch, Carol) and follow other people instead of our dreams. Now don’t get me wrong social media is a fantastic tool. Never before have we been able to do so much with so little. We can connect with relatives across the world, consume meaningful content, and enhance our experience and connectivity with the world at the tap of a button. But at what point does it become to much?
These forms of pleasure are constantly rewiring our brains for instant gratification and quick highs. So can pleasure be a good thing?
Social media and many other things like television, drinking, and smoking give us great pleasure, and way to escape out problems. But, these things can often decrease the quality of ones life in the process.

The Upsides of Pleasure
Now pleasure is not always a terrible thing. Pleasure can be used to propel our lives forward in multiple ways. The feeling you have after working out, a job well done, or some type of feel good reward after you accomplish something can be a form of pleasure that pulls you towards your goal.
The longing and desire for pleasure after the accomplishment of something is often a great way to use pleasure to your advantage. For example, think of the pleasure you would experience after putting in the hard work to get accepted to your dream school.

Pain

The Downsides of Pain
Pain can be a very strong motivator, but also greatly disempowering.
We can think of pain like the fight or flight of motivation. If you had set out to accomplish something and did not succeed, you could either wallow in the pain of the situation and be defeated (flight), or stand up and keep going no matter how painful the failure was (fight).

Often times, we let our ego get the best of us and make the decision to be defeated.
Pain can become unmotivating when there is more pleasure derived from blocking out the pain than the reward of facing the pain head on. For example, if a relationship you were in ended abruptly, it may be easier to block the pain by never dating again than facing the pain of dealing with your insecurities and faults that led to the failure of the relationship.
There is a great quote that I think summarizes this well:
“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”​
– MAYA ANGELOU​
The Upside of Pain
Pain is often the strongest motivator of them all.
We get to work on time because we don’t want the pain of being fired, and everything that goes along with that. We turn in that school assignment because we fear the pain of failing the class. We work hard to support our families because we do not want to deal with the pain of letting a loved one down.
Although pain could be perceived as a negative way to create motivation, it has good intentions.
When you are motivated by pain, it deeply connects to your ego, sense of self, and all sorts of aspects of the human experience that will make it more effective than other means of motivation.

The Secret Sauce
While pain and pleasure are great sources of motivation, there is another source that is equally, or more powerful.

Gratitude

Gratitude can be immensely powerful in creating limitless motivation. By having gratitude for all that we are and all that we have, we are able to get our perspective on life. When we get our perspective on life, things begin to click, and tasks that were once difficult and daunting are now accomplished with ease.
When you realize that you are so unbelievably fortunate to have access to a college education, you burn the midnight oil and study for your exam. When you realize that you live in a country with abundant financial opportunity and other people would die for 1/10th of that, starting that business becomes your duty. When you realize that your employer gives you the means to support and provide for your family, your job becomes a breeze.
Thank you for taking the time to read my little post. I hope that in some capacity this has helped you create the motivation that you are looking for, and make your life 1% better.

I would love to hear from and know what has worked for you!

Last edited by a moderator: