Being the best you can

amy005

I am trying to be the best mother I can but sometimes feel like I should be doing more. I devote all of my time to my son. But, right now he is a little over 7 months old and still not crawling. I try to help him get there by doing a few different things but none seem to help. Is there something else I should be doing or is it something he needs to just figure out on his own?

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I think you are already doing very good as a mother so don't worry that much on this concern. Just continue on helping him and in no time at all he is on his way to development. It is quite normal for mothers to be truly concerned with almost all the details of their babies and kids...:D

Daisiesndots

Babies develop at different rates, he may start crawling in a month, crawl for a week and then take off walking. Some babies skip crawling completely! I wouldn't worry about it until your doctor expresses concern. I do know what you mean about being the best you can be. Its stressful being a parent. There are days where my almost 3 year old son whines non-stop and is in a bad mood. This stresses me out and can also put me in a bad mood. Lately it seems as though this happens everyday. And I feel a lot of quilt after he is down for the night because I did not make the most of my day with him. We did not have a day full of smile, laughs and hugs. I always feel so bad about that. :(

You have done already your part but if you think this is not enough try to ask some help on your more experienced friends you can't do that alone you need to have a partner a councilor or even a coach.

IsabelleChan

I guess every mother is concerned with their children's development, but over-anxiety won't help. You are already doing a very good job and I believe that your son is on his way. Just keep on helping him and don't worry too much unless your doctor said you should. Always seek professional advice if you are worried or down about your son's late development, maybe they could give you some practical help on how to speed up the process a bit.

I am trying to be the best mother I can but sometimes feel like I should be doing more. I devote all of my time to my son. But, right now he is a little over 7 months old and still not crawling. I try to help him get there by doing a few different things but none seem to help. Is there something else I should be doing or is it something he needs to just figure out on his own?
I think you are doing a good job. Have you talked to his doctor about your concerns? It can take some kids longer than others to crawl and then to walk. Your doctor can help you decide if there is an underlying concern or if he is just taking a bit longer than some other kids.

daisyhongjuly

Kids advance at their own time. My kids did not start walking until 13 months, when everyone else had kids walking sooner! That said, I don' think you should worry. But my doctor told me that my son was physically behind at his what? 8-month checkup, so we got a free physical therapist recommendation - a lot of states offer these services under early-intervention. She helped him with the crawling - he was doing "army crael" where his belly was on the floor, and she helped teach me some motor-skills exercises on the stairs and stuff to help make him stronger. Now he is 3 and no physical problems. You could ask your doctor if they think there is a delay and then see if you qualify for the free early-intervention services to help you and him work on stuff. We use them now for speech therapy too (he is a little delayed there as well), and now when he is 3 we will go through the school system. Hope that helps, but do NOT think you are a bad parent, just the fact that you are worried and want to do something should clue you in!