Be The Change you Want to See

Gina33

I can not remember where I first encountered this philosophy. However, I know it is a correct and true philosophy. You can talk until you are blue in the face and think until you are blue in the brain. However, real change comes from the actions which manifest from the thought and words. Real actions that begin a change within yourself.

It is senseless to try to change things you can not control. However, there is a lot more we control that we know. It is important to recognize choice. Sometimes we do not take responsibility for out choices and we do not become the change we want to be. All we can do is get back on the horse and keep trying to match our actions to our thought process.

pipps

I can not remember where I first encountered this philosophy. However, I know it is a correct and true philosophy. You can talk until you are blue in the face and think until you are blue in the brain. However, real change comes from the actions which manifest from the thought and words. Real actions that begin a change within yourself.

It is senseless to try to change things you can not control. However, there is a lot more we control that we know. It is important to recognize choice. Sometimes we do not take responsibility for out choices and we do not become the change we want to be. All we can do is get back on the horse and keep trying to match our actions to our thought process.

Yes, one of my big pet peeves is people who try and tell me how I should live my life when they are less than happy with theirs. I also hate it when people just talk and talk about making changes and then never do. If I get inspired by something and want to have that habit myself, I make sure I at least am progressing in this habit (such as working out) before I even begin to tell people they should be doing it too.

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
I believe what you are referring to is “at a certain point to get there you have to realize you are already there”. I heard it from Eckhart Tolle in The Power of Now. It is also quite prevalent in Buddhism.
Inner change is part of the “thinking until you are blue in the brain” that you referred too. It's inner, involves thinking and feeling. Then it is the talking and action the reinforce it and keep it going. But what I hope you were referring to was over thinking to become ineffective or shooting beyond the mark.

Change is one of the greatest mysteries in the universe. Nobody credible is even coming close to figuring it out let alone claiming to know what it takes. I'm talking about deep, emotional, gut level, instinctual, knee-jerk reaction change not superficial change like changing the route you drive home from work of course. Everyone in the personal development arena does but they don't consistently deliver, let alone be able to spell it out. Although after twenty-five years of research I seem to have done this incredible feat myself. Finished it in 2010.

It always amazes me too how incredible doers think they know how to teach. How we determine great teachers in our society is mind boggling. Teaching is a very different skill from doing. Getting someone to change the tire on their own car is very different from just doing it yourself. If you really want to know the difference get a five year old to change your tire and see how long that takes. But we kinda keep choosing our coaches in our society based on their own individual performance instead of how well they help people.

Access Your Brain

"Be the change you want to see." It is true. You can't change some apparent things in life of course like sunset or sunrise, but you can change yourself. If you for some reason cannot change things around you (e.g. temporary difficulties, lack of money, economic downturn, etc.) at least change the way you think about them. This will give you some power and ability to look at things in life from a different angle. And, this is where the miracles start happening. You begin to see opportunities and solutions you did not in the past. Any kind of change is development; you can't avoid it.

shawnlim

Now, this reminds me of this quote:

"I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination."

When you look at it, it is really how you think that will define who you are.
The same event can happened to two persons, but both can end up with totally different perspective of thoughts about it.

AJWalton

I believe while we can't force other people to change, we can help put them in a position to make better choices. Empowerment is the best thing we can offer - and we can do this through accepting, understanding, and then gently redirecting thoughts and emotions to come to different conclusions and take different actions.

But this must come from a place of personal security, non-judgment, and compassion lest we create barriers between ourselves and the people we care about.

Joshua McNeil

I love that saying. Its pretty much saying put your action where your mouth is. And it is so true in many aspects. When you begin the change people see the improvement in you and they get inspired to change as well. Actions create a movement of inspiration.

I love this quote too and like Joshua see 'being the change' about living life from the inside out and being the true reflection of who you are. Everyone's on a different journey and by creating life on your own terms and following your calling/desires you are paving the way for others to be uplifted by you and live their own life in alignment with who they truly are.

Jason Surmillon

Coaching Member

Great post Gina!

You are absolutely right that it is senseless to try to change things you can not control. It is such a waste of time trying to change things.

This reminds me of a teaching from the great late JIM ROHN :D

If you ask why the Sun rises from the east and sets in the West, I would not take that class if I were you.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Great post Gina!

You are absolutely right that it is senseless to try to change things you can not control. It is such a waste of time trying to change things.

This reminds me of a teaching from the great late JIM ROHN :D

If you ask why the Sun rises from the east and sets in the West, I would not take that class if I were you.

Nice quote, anyone who hasn't been exposed to Jim Rohn is really missing out. I have listened to so many of his great audios. Some of his articles are at http://www.personal-development.com/jim-rohn/