Atheism

Girl'vivalist Meg

My fiance is Atheist while I am a Gnostic Catholic. It has actually never been a problem or issue. Mainly because I see the person he is and how he lives his life. He may not be a "believer" of any religion but he does live his life like a believer. He cares about others, he tries very hard to do the right thing, and he defends what he believes in regardless of what that is. He is military and he never has a fit or causes a scene when prayers are stated or moments of silence or asked for. What I'm saying is that I don't think it really matters what you believe in faith wise. It matters how you live.

DeeNeely

I am an atheist and proud to be one. I don't have a problem with believers until they start trying to dictate their beliefs as anything other than a belief and a belief without any rational basis. When religious believers start trying to use their religion to justify oppression and unreality then I have to speak up. Religion is a purely subjective mental system without any outside support for its statements, but religious believers keep trying. Eventually they want to dictate what science can say and redefine life according to their self perceptions. When a believer wants to insist that the universe is only 6, 000 years old or that being homosexual is a reason for suppression I must speak up.

One thing we must set to rest is the idea that atheist equals amoral. In accordance with history it is more often for the believer to do immoral things and then justify their immorality with the religion of their choice.

Matt

I am not an atheist. I do think there is an actual god that looks over all of us.
I am an atheist and proud to be one. I don't have a problem with believers until they start trying to dictate their beliefs as anything other than a belief and a belief without any rational basis. When religious believers start trying to use their religion to justify oppression and unreality then I have to speak up. Religion is a purely subjective mental system without any outside support for its statements, but religious believers keep trying. Eventually they want to dictate what science can say and redefine life according to their self perceptions. When a believer wants to insist that the universe is only 6, 000 years old or that being homosexual is a reason for suppression I must speak up.

One thing we must set to rest is the idea that atheist equals amoral. In accordance with history it is more often for the believer to do immoral things and then justify their immorality with the religion of their choice.
I do think that science and religion should be kept separate. I don't think they mix at all. There is proof that the universe is over 6,000 years old just on the Earth.

Cecil Estrera

I strongly agree with you, AmazingP. How can be we possibly find a meaning in life and our existence without having a religion and a God? For me, God and knowing that he exists makes me feel strong and confident that would be able to go through hardships in life.

I, myself, would never be an atheist. But I respect their beliefs if that is what they choose to follow.

Girl'vivalist Meg

This maybe because of my own personal belief system but I don't know how to keep religion and science separate. My belief system puts them hand in hand. I know that seems odd to some but keeping the separate is just...odd to me.

I totally understand what you are saying about not having a problem until someone dictates their beliefs on you. My beliefs are not considered main stream so I tend to get the whole "repent" and "heathen" speeches from "Jesus freaks." It is incredibly off putting.

Empangop

Some people don't believe that there is God because they are scare. The Old Testament God is the God who punished so they are afraid of that God. The stories about God in the Old Testament have scared them to believe in such deity. For them, it's better to live and believe in no God. So, No God is their deity. I think they have no spirituality. If they have and claimed to have, they are accepting and allowing other spirit to control their life.

sepia_majesty

I don't know if I know any atheists personally. If I do, I'm not aware of their lack of belief in God. Most people at least believe in the existence of God, or say they believe in a "higher power" of some sort. I honestly think many atheists choose not to believe in God because of a response to something, not necessarily because they don't believe in Him. A lot of atheists have vitriol towards a Figure they don't believe in, which to me signals they have a problem with God and would rather deny His existence than actually accept Him and whatever problems they have. It's easier to deny Him than reconcile their problems with His existence, I suppose. I just don't think it's all about "well, there is no evidence for God" because of course there is. The universe's existence and the complexity of nature is one of the strongest evidences of a Creator. I think, for most of them, it's about some philosophical or religious issue they have.

Of course, many people are practical atheists. They believe in God but live their lives by ignoring Him and pretending He doesn't exist.

hatteubanal

First, I am an atheist. I do not believe in any deities. I respect other people and their beliefs as long as they leave me be.

You stated a good point there DeeNeely. One of the misconceptions about atheists is that we have no moral basis. Just because religion is the most common basis of morality, it does not follow that atheists are amoral because of our lack of religion. Atheists are like an average human being who are gifted with the power to think. It does not take a god for you to know not to steal or kill other people.

Arguments regarding atheism are always futile that's why I always steer away from them.

clauemi

I really think that most people who say they are atheist are just using it as an excuse to do whatever they want to. They don't know who God is because they have never cared enough to take the time to learn about him. Or they just don't want to quit cheating, lying, smoking, drinking or whatever it is they are doing. There's also those who just don't believe in God because that's what their family thought them but just because it's your family that doesn't mean they are right.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
First, I am an atheist. I do not believe in any deities. I respect other people and their beliefs as long as they leave me be. You stated a good point there DeeNeely. One of the misconceptions about atheists is that we have no moral basis. Just because religion is the most common basis of morality, it does not follow that atheists are amoral because of our lack of religion. Atheists are like an average human being who are gifted with the power to think. It does not take a god for you to know not to steal or kill other people. Arguments regarding atheism are always futile that's why I always steer away from them.
I think the label atheist refers to not following a certain God or deity but when it comes to doing right or morality they could be following some precepts and guidelines which are clearly explained and expounded in the Bible. Great example would be not killing anyone, not stealing or not committing adultery which can be considered really as universal in many aspects. And along that line there is I think an understanding whether you are an atheist or not. :D

SifuPhil

I think the label atheist refers to not following a certain God or deity but when it comes to doing right or morality they could be following some precepts and guidelines which are clearly explained and expounded in the Bible. Great example would be not killing anyone, not stealing or not committing adultery which can be considered really as universal in many aspects. And along that line there is I think an understanding whether you are an atheist or not. :D
And what of the warrior cultures that believe you get your reward in heaven after slaying as many of the infidels as possible? Aren't they following their own version of Biblical morality?

The Crusaders evidently lost their Bibles when they went out to spread the word of God and slay anyone - men, women or children - who wouldn't listen.

Hundreds of thousands of lives have been sacrificed upon the altar of theism. Admittedly the same can be said of atheists. So where does that leave us? Certainly not with the theists being superior; neither side is. But they want to believe that they are.

Morality is a Man-made societal invention. It is up to individual Men to decide what path to follow, whatever their metaphysical beliefs.

I agree with Hatteubanal that debates between atheists and theists usually never lead anywhere. Each has their beliefs, each has their own code of living ("morals") and neither will be convinced of the other's belief system.

DeeNeely

I really think that most people who say they are atheist are just using it as an excuse to do whatever they want to. They don't know who God is because they have never cared enough to take the time to learn about him. Or they just don't want to quit cheating, lying, smoking, drinking or whatever it is they are doing. There's also those who just don't believe in God because that's what their family thought them but just because it's your family that doesn't mean they are right.
On the contrary. A great many people who are atheist started out as believers or were raised in believing families. I was one of those. I was raised Southern Baptist, but when I noticed the hypocrisy of those around me I changed my religion. I spent a great deal of time during the next 20 years studying different religions before I exhausted my search and decided the reason I could not find god was because god didn't exist. I developed my atheism through a reversed god-of-the-gaps process.
The people are atheist because they don't want to stop lying, cheating, smoking and drinking idea is a piece of crap. I have found that far more religious people perform those actions than I find atheist practicing them. I don't drink and the alcohol I have drank would fit in a small cooler. I don't smoke and never have. I don't do drugs and never have. I don't engage in violence of any kind. I don't use god as an excuse to hate people like many religious followers do.

In all honesty, it sounds like you have listened to one too many preachers making up things about atheists.

clauemi

On the contrary. A great many people who are atheist started out as believers or were raised in believing families. I was one of those. I was raised Southern Baptist, but when I noticed the hypocrisy of those around me I changed my religion. I spent a great deal of time during the next 20 years studying different religions before I exhausted my search and decided the reason I could not find god was because god didn't exist. I developed my atheism through a reversed god-of-the-gaps process.
The people are atheist because they don't want to stop lying, cheating, smoking and drinking idea is a piece of crap. I have found that far more religious people perform those actions than I find atheist practicing them. I don't drink and the alcohol I have drank would fit in a small cooler. I don't smoke and never have. I don't do drugs and never have. I don't engage in violence of any kind. I don't use god as an excuse to hate people like many religious followers do.

In all honesty, it sounds like you have listened to one too many preachers making up things about atheists.
My opinion was based on what I notice when I talk about God to other people. The ones who I have met who say they are Atheist don't seem to know anything about him or have beliefs that don't make sense. So I am assuming they just use it as an excuse to live their life the way they want to. Like when people say 'nobody is perfect', it's true but just because it's true does not mean you can keep using it as an excuse to keep doing things that are wrong.

Jonathan Gentry

It is certainly alright to believe what you wish as long as it doesn't hurt others.

Religion is such a touchy subject with so many people, I am truly not offended by others values or beliefs about anything. I know that everyone is different and I think we should act in accordance with that truth.

Atheism is a very touchy subject too.

I believe that compassion is cultivated by viewing the world through the eyes of others. If we are absolutely convinced that we are correct in all of our assumptions it becomes so difficult to see things from others perspectives.

Consider the viewpoints of others more often, truly consider them, and we can learn to know and respect others better than we ever thought possible.

rose banks

What do we call on those blasphemous? Are they considered atheist too? There's no denying that there are famous who are showy on their practice of the other side. Are they atheist too?

Dr. Damon Sprock

Greetings,

In my quest for truth, it was necessary to apply the formats of science and religion to manifest a solution. The enclosed attachment is an alternative for Hawking's Big Bang theory, for those seeking a spiritual alternative. Because scientists do not believe that a spiritual entity is responsible for all physical world phenomena, they will not discover the origin of the universe. Even the discovery of the so-called "God particle" must have an origin. It is not irreducible.

For those who do not believe in God's existence due to the sinful actions by humans on this planet, you must realize that God does not participate in our lives. We have free will to choose. At the time of creation, God established all laws into the equation of life, and you either abide by those laws or not. The laws of retribution (karma) are on 'automatic pilot.' No action goes unnoticed. Everything that happens must happen, as a part of our ongoing evolution of consciousness. Humankind will eventually shift from its primitive behavior due to archaic brain conditioning. Change is constantly taking place, even though slowly with small steps; however, this is how evolution occurs. After all, it took 4.5 billion years for humans to appear on the planet.

Attachments

pafjlh

I am more or a spiritual person then a religious one. I was raised Catholic but I drifted away from the church because of some of the beliefs they had that I couldn't support. As for Atheist and what they believe, I have no issue with them. We all have our own belief system, don't make us any worse then anyone else, and what they chose to believe. Good people come from all ways of life, and so can evil ones. As I said I'm Catholic do I really need to go into the evil of some of the priest of this faith, I don't think so.