Atheism

AmazingP

Advisor Member
What is atheism? According to Wikipedia: "Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists."

I don't consider myself really religious but would never allow myself to be considered as an atheist. I don't think it is still possible to find the meaning of life if we block that spiritual yearning within ourselves.

radascars

Advisor Member
There are a lot of people who are atheist, they don't believe God exists. I had a friend before who doesn't have any religion at all. I am quite curious about it and befriend with him. His family is atheist they don't believe that God really exist. They are not bad people, they are rich and helped a lot of charities as well, they migrated in other countries so I don't know what they are doing now.

speedy

Advisor Member
I believed that there people who don't believed in the existence of God. There are many reasons behind of why they don't believe in God. At this point I want to share you a story about an atheist - I heard this story on one of the sermon in the church.

- There was an atheist who really love nature. One day, he went to the mountain alone camping. For a while, he left his tent and went to the woods to hunt some animal . Because of too much fun in hunting he didn't notice that it is getting dark. The atheist hurriedly go back to his tent but he caught by the darkness in the middle of the woods. He keep on walking but suddenly he fell to the cliff. Luckily, he grabbed a bunch of grass and keep himself hanging on that cliff. He tried to go back up but he couldn't and he was afraid to move more thinking that the grass will lost its grip from the ground. After how many hours, hanging on the cliff he get tired, complaining, blaming himself and about to cry. So, he test himself if God really exist. The Atheist said, " God, I don't believe that you exist but at this point if you are real please help me". Suddenly, he heard a voice saying " Let go from the grass"...The atheist was little bit scared and said " Who are you? then the voice answered " I am the God that you didn't believe, let go from the grass, the voice added. The atheist was very upset "What? if you are God why you want to kill me? You want me to let go from this grass so I will fall into this cliff and died? No way, he said. The voice gone and atheist still holding on the grass until the sunrise. He was very happy when the sunrise come and look down. Surprisingly, his eyes turned open wide after finding out that the ground is only a feet deep from himself. :) - Starting that day, the atheist started to belief that God really exist......

iebo

Its pretty easy to not believe in a god when you see how people treat each other and treat the world. There's plenty of hypocrysay (sorry I can't spell) from people who claim to be pious. Hitler was apparently a religious man. So was Bin Laden.

beingwell

Some people worship God. Some worship the Water. Some the Sun. Some animals like cows and elephants. We are all with different beliefs. As long as we hold on something to believe in, we can find our center and inner peace.

An atheist doesn't believe in gods or in supernatural beings. One may not believe in a god, but he may respect nature as a true living creature. This makes him an atheist but doesn't make him different from any one of us. As long as we believe in something more powerful than us; or some sort of energy or power higher than our own, then I think that is enough.

Let's take the Avatar movie, for example. (I know, forgive me for the example.) They do not have gods. They do believe in a higher energy, which comes from basically, a tree. They are atheist and yet, they respect life. They have values just like Christians or Buddhists and so on. So really, it's one's belief that defines a person's action or personality. Not so much as to whom s/he believes in.

radascars

Advisor Member
Life isn't just about beliefs about highest power of being we called God. What can you do with those beliefs if you can't live your life with things you want?

Life is too complicated and we must work hard for us to attain our long term goals regardless of what we believe in and what we are into. Beliefs are there to somehow guide us but nevertheless it is still our own decision to get a life.

beingwell

Life isn't just about beliefs about highest power of being we called God. What can you do with those beliefs if you can't live your life with things you want?

Life is too complicated and we must work hard for us to attain our long term goals regardless of what we believe in and what we are into. Beliefs are there to somehow guide us but nevertheless it is still our own decision to get a life.
I wonder, aren't the things we want usually in line with our beliefs?
Doesn't a robber robs because he believes it's ok to rob. In the same manner, a student would cheat in class or not whether he believes it to be right or otherwise.
In essence, we live our lives according to what we believe in. And more often that not, don't we get what we want in life by simply following our beliefs?:rolleyes:

radascars

Advisor Member
You have a point there beingwell but your example doesn't actually means that they believe its right or wrong it is more matter of they need to live or they need to pass so they tend to steal/rob or cheat, I'd say believing is a matter of choice whether you like it or not.

JessicaHasArrived

I used to be an atheist because of all the terrible things I'd seen go on around me. I felt that if there was a God, her wouldn't let so many terrible things happen. Now, I'm an Agnostic. I feel that anything is possible and I would hate to say "there is no God" when I have no evidence either way. I think being an Atheist is kind of a cop-out or a way to not deal with the situation. Usually (from my personal experience) Atheists are angry people who have had tough lives and they feel that they needed help but it was never given to them.

Now that I've changed my mind about things, I find myself being more spiritual. I think everything happens for a reason and I hope there is such thing as an afterlife and a creator of all things.

tired

I know this is going to sound kind of weird and it's kind of hard to explain. I believe as some of the Native Americans did that nature takes it's course and everything natural around us is what makes things happen. I don't believe in a God so to speak as far as creation. I believe more of a scientific thing put us here. I don't pray - but I sure as heck do wish the world well!!!

apple

I border between atheist and agnostic. One thing I'm sure of is that if there is a god, it's not God.
The god that overlooks us (if it exists) is a apathetic being that allows anything to happen.
It is not the protective, fatherly lord that is portrayed in the Bible.

Rhygez

Me, I don't believe God or Devil. I have to many people around me that believe it and it doesn't affect me at all. I simply don't care, but I respect them.
My opinion is I think people need to believe something to ran away from the problems or how hard is life, they need something powerfull, like kids believe super heros (Not good example). I myself, when I was a kid and as probly other kids, used to believe in super heros. They were real, and in such bad situations or when I had nightmares I called for them.
Life is very complex, and for us adults things are harder since we have more responsabilities and alot of problems.

vest007

I was born to atheist parents. And if not for the breakup of the USSR, then me too would have become an atheist. My take on atheism is like this - Atheism is self-contradictory, as they think god does not exists. Well, if the god does not exists, then why they need to talk BS about people who believe in it? By attacking the believers and their beliefs, atheists themselves are stating that the god exists.

apple

I was born to atheist parents. And if not for the breakup of the USSR, then me too would have become an atheist. My take on atheism is like this - Atheism is self-contradictory, as they think god does not exists. Well, if the god does not exists, then why they need to talk BS about people who believe in it? By attacking the believers and their beliefs, atheists themselves are stating that the god exists.
With your logic, aren't religious people contradicting themselves as well? By asserting God exists, they are stating he doesn't. Especially with the mass amount of church resources that go into converting the non-believers.

vest007

With your logic, aren't religious people contradicting themselves as well? By asserting God exists, they are stating he doesn't. Especially with the mass amount of church resources that go into converting the non-believers.
How they are stating he doesn't exist? And I don't agree with outreach efforts. Religion should be a personal choice. There should be no coercion or persuasion. Rather than spending the money on outreach efforts, churches can set up orphanages and de-addiction centers with that kind of money.

apple

How they are stating he doesn't exist? And I don't agree with outreach efforts. Religion should be a personal choice. There should be no coercion or persuasion. Rather than spending the money on outreach efforts, churches can set up orphanages and de-addiction centers with that kind of money.
It's just I find the logic in your last comment a bit flawed. Sorry to nitpick :) You said atheists are self contradictory since by talking smack about believers, they are saying they believe in God. Because if they truly don't believe in God, they wouldn't feel the need to talk smack. Using the same logic, religious people don't believe in God since they devote a lot of resources to converting non-believers by refuting their atheist beliefs.

I agree with you about religion being a personal choice. I wince at all the money and lives wasted by differences in religions. I think it doesn't matter who or what you believe in as long as you share the same ethics. The churches should really cut down on the funds for missionary quests.

mslianne

I know a lot of people who are atheists. At first I could not bring myself to believe why they choose to believe that no God exists. I felt weirded out and confused. They're still law-abiding citizens and they're not bad people. But now, I've come to the conclusion. I think religion is such a sensitive topic for me, personally, but let people believe what they want to believe in, as long as they are not doing anything bad, in moral standards.

canadien

I'm Atheist and the rest of my family is. I've never been pushed or persuaded towards religion, and I doubt I will ever follow Christianity. I have no problem with religious people. I only get annoyed when they come to my door trying to recruit me. Some of them seriously need to understand that not everyone follows their religion, and is not doing so because they don't want to.

zararina

Coaching Member
I am also not that religious but i do believe in my religion and God. I like to have a religion rather than nothing to believe in. It is a matter of beliefs and faith that makes us different in some ways or another matter.