[Article]How meditation turned my life around + the benefits of it

Do you meditate?

• Yes, every day at least once.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I have tried it at least once.

• No, not at all.

• Total voters

Erik913

Advisor Member
The mind needs meditation much in the same way as a car needs regular service
When I started out, I vividly remember my first ever meditation. It was about 3 years ago, when I have accidentally cut my arm – and it was deep enough that I had to wear a cast and keep it for about 3 weeks. It did hurt like hell and at some point, no medication could help me, not even weed or alcohol and out of desperation, I started browsing through the webs to find a way of easing the pain. Meditation seemed like the last solution for me and surely, it did help tremendously. Somehow, while meditating, the pain just went away, the itching was completely out of the equation and I even was able to finally fall asleep. I kept up the habit and even though I dropped it in some 2 months back then, the results werefascinating – for the time being, I literally felt like high on meth. I could do anything. I was the king of my own world. I could almost feel my IQ increasing. My mind was sharp, my reflexes were much better, memory was increased. I used to get angry all the time but suddenly, I was calm, relaxed, peaceful and happy. Life seemed easier. That’s how powerful meditation is.

You cannot possibly take self-development seriously if you don’t meditate. It probably sounds silly or not worth the time & effort, but once you implement this into your life it becomes one of the most, if not THE most valuable routine/habit of all. The brain is not a muscle, but it behaves like it and so yes, much in the same way as a muscle improves, strenghtens and grows by constant exercise, so does the brain by constant training. Meditation to your brain is literally like exercise to your body. Here’s why:

1. Physical brain function
It is now actually proven that if the people with actual physical brain deformations, people that suffer from a disease, retarded or demented people, etc. – meditate – their brain functions improve greatly over time. It makes the neurological pathways & overall entire brain much more complex, interconnected, synchronized. Now imagine what it can do to your healthy brain.

2. Memory & motor functions, coordination
Short-term memory loss can be reduced astonishingly by a constant, regular meditation. It is just as powerful as sleep itself – it helps the brain to arange your memories, assosiate them with senses & feelings, sort and filter them. Motor functions along with coordination are also increasingly improved the more you meditate. Moreover, in practical means, it simply becomes much easier to remember concrete things in lesser time – so even long-term memory is improved, enhanced.

3. Creativity & relaxation
The mind or the brain is most creative during its most relaxed state. You can observe this for example when you’re extremely tired –perhaps after sporting, exercising or a long day at work when you finally sit & relax. Meditation enhances your overall creativity, relaxation in general – not only when you’re physically or mentally tired, but at all times during the day and the longer you meditate regularly, the bigger the effect is.

4. Cleansing the mind
The mind works on a concept of store everything in case you need it. It’s called memory and it works – you remember where you live, how to get there, your name and the name of your boss. The downside of this is that the mind stores everything that is put inside – including every snippet of overheard conversation, every emotion or a feeling, every picture that’s flashed in front of your eyes. Understandable, this means there’s a lot of thrash and garbage in your mind – just try to imagine all the negative or useless crap you accidentally heard, seen, smelled, touched, tasted or even felt. When meditating, you go through the process of sorting all of the memories, experiences, feelings & beliefs that you hold inside and if doing properly & regularly, you slowly take out all the thrash. It’s like cleaning your computer off of malwares and viruses, or taking a shower to clean your body. And it’s also very important – look at all these intimidating, negative, frustrated asshole-people that are constantly angry & spread their negativity – do you think they meditate? Probably not.

5. Happiness
If none of the above really concerns you, surely this will. This has a lot to do with enlightenment as well, for those familiar. When the mind is in the state of meditation, a state of pure calmness, consciousness, awareness, stillness, nothingness – that’s the default state of happiness. When meditation, you are simply happy – and the deeper you go, the happier you get – and of course this works long-term, but what’s interesting, after every single meditation session, you will feel amazingly refreshed, as if you just woke up from an amazing night sleep, or took a long, hot bath/shower, or after having amazing sex.

Final thoughts
Should you meditate? Yes. Can you live a complete, happy, abundant life without it? Theoretically, yes. Practically, I wouldn’t say so, no. After each and every session you will gain a new insight – like reading a book for the second time, you will see something that you haven’t seen before. After each and every session, you will realize something new, you will feel much better, relaxed, refreshed.

Needless to say that while you will feel effects of your first session to some degree, the bigger results will only come after a week, then a month, then 6 months, then a year and so on. Meditation is a long-term cure for even physiological problems that you might have, as well as mental ones.

I recommend two sessions per day ranging from 10 to 30 minutes if you’re a beginner – but you can set this to anything that suits you. The longer you can sit still and focus on something simple – like your own breathing – the better. Don’t concern yourself with techniques for now, if you’re a beginner - but if you want to, by all means, google them. There’s a LOT of techniques out there.

Thank you for reading this, have a nice day, stay positive and most of all – never give up!

This article was also published here.

kathyjoyce

I totally agree. I started meditating a couple of years ago, and while admttidly not doing it every day, it really does calm the mind and help get rid of all the useless clutter. Our brains are a bit like computers and just need defragmenting regularly to file information and clear out the junk. Meditation does this very well. It also helps to focus the mind so your concentration improves.