Are you an apple polisher?

smile4u

I am not good at apple-polishing but i find one of my coworkers is. He is such an apple polisher and it seems our boss likes him a lot. But at the same time i can see he is very tricky which is not known by my boss. To be honest, i dislike this kind of persons, but they can be popular in the company? Are you the one?

I do think you mean bootlicker - which means he curries favour with his superior.
I don't really like these sort of people who climb high based only by bootlicking, but having a good relationship with your superior is undoubtedly crucial for a promotion, or probably even for keeping your job!

iebo

I am definitely not an apple polisher. I will not suck up to a boss. I'd rather tell them what I think, whether they like it or not. I feel its in the best interest of the company to be honest, instead of just being a yes-man.

I'm not an apple polisher, but I know someone who is. :(
She is such an apple polisher! She doesn't do anything but when our boss is around, she works like crazy. As if. :p Most of us don't like her because she's so obvious at what she does.

I am not. I "kiss up" to no one. I much prefer to keep my dignity. I'd rather not have work my way up that way.

Well let's face it - if you want to succeed in your job, simply being capable is not enough. Networking is extremely important as well and that also means building a good relationship with your boss.
While many of you are right to say that this way of "working upwards" isn't exactly ethical, it is absolutely necessary, at least I think so.

Yeah good point. Sometimes it is the only way. If I was a boss, I wouldn't like those kinds of people. I can't stand them.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Well let's face it - if you want to succeed in your job, simply being capable is not enough. Networking is extremely important as well and that also means building a good relationship with your boss.
While many of you are right to say that this way of "working upwards" isn't exactly ethical, it is absolutely necessary, at least I think so.
I'm in wholehearted agreement with you on that. It might turn most people's stomachs to force themselves to agree with an overbearing boss or act as a 'bootlicker' or whatever they want to call it. But, in my book, it's just being smart. Unless you are independently wealthy, you can't afford to turn away any job opportunities or chances at promotion. Doing a good job and being nice to the boss is far different than being backstabbing or conniving as some employees are. You can still gain a boss' favor without selling your soul (so to speak). Also, I think it depends on how old or young a person is.

The very young person thinks they have the world on a string and many options in front of them when it comes to career but the older employee knows that time and age are not on their side, so they must use every advantage possible, even if that means sucking up to the boss.

I am not good at apple-polishing but i find one of my coworkers is. He is such an apple polisher and it seems our boss likes him a lot. But at the same time i can see he is very tricky which is not known by my boss. To be honest, i dislike this kind of persons, but they can be popular in the company? Are you the one?
I don't like the person who sucks up to the boss but then doesn't do what they are supposed to. I do agree with moneymakingmom, but only when this is an honest person who is willing to do a good job and work even when the boss isn't around. I dislike people who pretend to be the best employee in front of the boss, but will slack off right when the boss leaves.

I am definitely not one of these people. At my last (and only) job I worked myself so hard that my aunt would yell at me and tell me to take it easy because they aren't going to pay me any more even if I work so hard. Maybe I behaved this way because it was my first job, and even though I knew it was temporary I still wanted to make a good impression. I would go so far as taking short lunch breaks and minimizing bathroom breaks as much as possible. I didn't use the bathroom at all the first few days and we would have 7 hour days. When I realized that I wasn't getting the appreciation I deserved I started getting less strict with myself though. I would work faster than other people and the woman in charge would still yell at me to go faster. I realized I was killing myself for no reason. It was a minimum wage job where it was easy to become invisible.

I see nothing wrong with having a positive relationship with your boss though. I think if you are personable it can get you really far in your career.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
You're right, it's important to have the right attitude in your heart about your work ethic. If an employee is merely sucking up to the boss to get special privileges and rights on the job, then that's wrong. If they are showing proper respect for the boss that comes with the role, then that's more appropriate. It's always best to distinguish the difference. Though there is nothing wrong with doing your very best on every job no matter how much or little you are paid. When you try to out-do yourself everytime with your best performance, you are always the winner.