Are we slaves of electronic gadgets?

When I go out with my friends, they usually keep punching away at their cell phones even when the conversation is going on. With instant messaging, Whatsapp, and wifi, I wonder if we have become slaves of electronic gadgets and no longer know how to properly interact with humans face-to-face. Thoughts on this scary phenomenon?

MoreSuccess

Administrator
Staff member
It's so rude in the middle of a conversation. My boss did that to me once in a meeting and I wasn't sure whether to stop or keeping talking. If I absolutely need to get on the phone in a conversation (which is rare), I'll tell the person to give me a moment. What is a bigger problem in the office place sometimes is people looking at their phone rather than paying attention to what is going on. I've done it myself a few times when the speaker is droning on about something I have no interest in, I can be more productive or at least not be so bored.

It's so rude in the middle of a conversation. My boss did that to me once in a meeting and I wasn't sure whether to stop or keeping talking. If I absolutely need to get on the phone in a conversation (which is rare), I'll tell the person to give me a moment. What is a bigger problem in the office place sometimes is people looking at their phone rather than paying attention to what is going on. I've done it myself a few times when the speaker is droning on about something I have no interest in, I can be more productive or at least not be so bored.
I never thought about this problem in the working place. Do people really do that in the middle of a meeting? That's very rude, inappropriate and unprofessional. I mean, when I am working, I won't even take out my phone to check personal messages, go on the Internet or receive calls from anybody. I would turn on the silent mode the moment I walk in my office and stay focused on my work. Woohoo, sounds like people are really enslaved to electronic gadgets. It's ironic how we feel more comfortable 'talking' to dead objects than real human beings.

It drives me nuts. I think people still know how to interact in person, but too many of them are rude about including their electronics in with that, too. Most people won't just put their devices down and focus on real conversation any more.

A

artistry

Well the texting thing is problematic, especially when driving. You could have a terrible accident. The cell phone is also used too much, in the wrong place.

Well the texting thing is problematic, especially when driving. You could have a terrible accident. The cell phone is also used too much, in the wrong place.
Yes, I agree. But thinking about texting from another perspective, it may help bridge the gap between tech-savvy children and their estranged parents. Children may consider sending texts to their parents if they really don't want to talk to them on the phone. Parents can also avoid being annoyingly nagging by checking on the child 4 times a day, instead, they can text them. It would be great fun to do it with parents since they know basically nothing about it, so children will have to teach them.

I hate it when that happens. In my case, it's rare to experience that in a professional setting. However, with the kids (my nieces), it's as if I'm required to accept this as their norms. Imagine having to deal with children who's late at dinner time simply because they're talking to someone on Facebook. And they come down the stairs and look at me as if I'm an antagonist. What's with people nowadays? I'm the type who'd rather take a break from gadgets rather than have it as a part of my life. My eyes have already paid the price (blurry vision and all) and I won't allow my life to be offered to it as well.

sute

It seems to be the case more and more. Especially with kids. I mean why the hell would a kid need a cell phone? Who do they have to call? Kids did fine before cellphones were invented.

It seems to be the case more and more. Especially with kids. I mean why the hell would a kid need a cell phone? Who do they have to call? Kids did fine before cellphones were invented.
They certainly did. The justification now is that they need to be able to call their parents....whether it's from after-school activities or from their friends' houses, etc. I still don't see the need at all, but it's normal for other people.

I don't think when there was no cellphones around most people used to think like, 'Oh, if I could have carried my landline phone with me....'. They were quite happy with whatever means and modes of communication was available. When the cellphones are a daily reality now people just call up for the most insignificant possible reason those they care for, throughout the day and make the thing appear in such a way (if only I could have depicted it in person), as if to suggest that without the cellphone the bonding would have come to a grinding halt or be non-existent. This is where I see a bit of the slavery part to technology that quite annoys me. Regarding the other lures of technology that threatens to enslave mankind completely I think it is a huge debate that have multitude of ramifications to the peril of all!

Generally speaking, I do find it to be rude. However in the work place I'm used to it. Even before the iPhone came out coworkers would always bring their laptops to meetings and many of them would be typing away while you're trying to present something. It was just so common place you get used to it. Some of those people had to be "on call" to a certain extent, like people from IT, if there was an outage or something. But I've also had instances where, for example, my boss ended an annual personal review of me early because one of our coworkers texted him to join him for a smoke break.

I don't particularly play around with my phone unless I'm in like a waiting room or standing in line somewhere. Never when someone is talking to me or vice versa.

I do find it not only annoying but distracting to keep hearing peoples phones chirping or beeping all day with notifications, my own phone included. Some people put some really obnoxious ringtones for these, and when I'm sitting in an office full of people trying to get work done, hearing all these phones going off all day is pretty frustrating. You would think it would be common sense to turn your volume off when you're in places like this.

No I am not slaves of any gadgets, because I discipline myself to be not dependent of any gadgets.
It's good to hear that some people have enough self-control to not to become slaves of electronic gadgets. People should resort to more 'traditional' ways of communicating with the others and killing their time.

Spiral

In the business world, smartphones, tablets, laptops etc. are must, but if they are used when relaxing at home or hiking in the mountains, it is a bad sign. It's a matter of work-life balance.

Does anyone else do this even when they're alone? I find myself doing this more and more even when I'm trying to watch a movie or a TV show. I will start playing around on my laptop and just listen to the TV in the background, and not really pay close attention to it. Or I'm frequently taking breaks to check my email and other sites. I put a TV tuner into my desktop, and I'm even worse with it now because I keep wanting to pull up a browser window instead of watching whats on.

zararina

Coaching Member
I do not think that all will be too addicted on gadgets. I actually can go out without bringing my cellphone with me and I do know some who can also do that. I am more of a computer user since I do my work online.
Yes, maybe if those gadgets are not for work, a lot can still manage to enjoy a day without a gadget.

But Zararina, if you're on the computer all day, then sure, it's easy for you to go out without your phone at all. Do you think you would be the same if you weren't? You would probably be more reliant on your phone or another gadget throughout the day instead. Even though the computer is for your work currently, it still keeps you connected beyond that.

Spiral

Does anyone else do this even when they're alone? I find myself doing this more and more even when I'm trying to watch a movie or a TV show. I will start playing around on my laptop and just listen to the TV in the background, and not really pay close attention to it. Or I'm frequently taking breaks to check my email and other sites. I put a TV tuner into my desktop, and I'm even worse with it now because I keep wanting to pull up a browser window instead of watching whats on.
Actually, I try to avoid watching TV. TV distracts you from the important things in life. Also consider the subliminal messages in the bad news and ads. Not to mention the information overload.

I seem to be the only one of my friends that does not text. And I just now got an old iphone from a friend, but no data plan so I use it more as a phone. But I keep hearing stories of people getting fired via text, broken up with via text, etc. and I do not want to lose the ability to look someone in the eye and be personally responsible for my actions. I do think technology has become too ubiquitous and pervasive. I like having instant access to news and such, but I still long for the smell and wonder of the library, where you have to search something out and come across all sorts of random stuff you weren't looking for too. Ya got me thinking now! I should close my laptop and go for a walk!

I have a basic cell phone that doesn't do everything except make a phone call, or text if that's what I wanted to do(never mastered it, so don't too it too often). However, how do I feel about my cell phone, I'm going to be honest here, I don't feel safe if I walk out of my home without it. Which is kind of silly because I spent years without this technology now I don't want to be without it. The same with my computer, I feel like something is missing if something happens to it. A few years ago I dealt with my computer crashing, and this didn't sit well with me. So I will admit that I have gotten spoiled by some technology, I don't know if I'm actually a slave to it, maybe to an extent I am, but I am glad that I have it.