All This Productivity Stuff Is A Scam. The Online Material is a Trap! It Sucks You In and All You En

RGreatness

Quote came from a friend of mine today

Upon further inquiry, found out he actually felt that reading about discipline and being productive didnt make you productive. The battle is internal. No material can change that for anyone

I think he makes some very valid points but i also believe that websites such as these have helped a lot of people. Do you think its positioning? What makes one resource better than the other? A lot of the times the concepts are the same, yet they "click" sometimes and sometimes they dont.

What do you guys think? How did websites such as these help you in your personal development? Which resource was most influential and what were you going through?

flad264

He is totally right no amount of material that you read can change you. these books are just to make you aware of where the problem stems from and gives you advice on how to conquer them. He is right that no book can change you it is only when you implement the exercises or information that is in that book that you actually begin to see the change taking place in your life. You have to make the change no book or person could ever do that for you.

Charles Franklin

Advisor Member
I agree with the above comments that reading about self-help and productivity will help you very little. Especially with the advertising (which is usually focused on a sale), it is easy to get lulled into the false belief that "this book" will solve all of your productivity problems or issues. They won't. Reading "The Secret" didn't make my money problems go away. Reading "The 8 Habits of Highly Successful People" didn't either.

Having said that, I don't blame those books for where I am. They helped me get in the mindset and utilize new techniques to approach a problem. I took what I needed at that time and moved on.

I prefer reading these books because they do help. What else would I be reading?

JCrashB

I agree. Reading alone won't move you a single step further. You have to take action and apply what you have learned actively in your life. No one else, no video and no book, no matter how sophisticated they are, can do that for you. The only thing that they can do for you is to motivate you to make the first step. And the first step usually is also the last because it's always the hardest.

KaraDC2003

"All This Productivity Stuff Is A Scam"

That's like saying, "Every hammer in the world SUCKS! They all bend the nails, smash your thumbs, and dent the walls!"

Books, films, online forums, and other resources are simply tools. We can use them well, or poorly. They can help us build a home, or they can send us to the hospital with a broken hand.

The books that have resonated with me the most are: Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, Simply Successful by Evan Dorren, The Success Principles by Jack Canfield, and The 4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss.

Whatever book you're reading - or film you're watching, or whatever - never forget the concept of personal responsibility: The tools are in your hands. Use them well.

FrankieLaw

This is a very interesting question and I had the opportunity to reflect on this issue quite a bit. You are all correct in the aspect that books, audio, Dvds cannot accurately solve your productivity issues and at best provide you with some degree of insight. Without exercise of those principle, nothing will come to fruition.

The issue does not lies within the book. Allow me to say this and I know that not everyone will agree to this is that...
EVERYTHING WRITTEN IN PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT IS CORRECT. why?

Simply put, everything is based on perception. Everyone has their own unique way of solving a problem.
If I drop a Rubik's Cube in the room and expect everyone to solve it. Not everyone will have the same answer. (Unless, you were taught one way to solve it)

The fact that your friend think is a scam is because

1/ He is expecting quick result, and there is no quick fix to lifelong problem.
2/ Everyone has their own unique definition of "productivity", some people say multi-task, while some might say focus attention.
3/ He could be trying to solve a problem using another person's technique that is countering his own native abilities. Is like using a 50 pounds sledge hammer while you can only lift 25 pounds, that's not going to work.

There could be many more other things that is going on. If he really want to solve his productivity issue, he needs to understand himself a little more and come up with a strategy that compliments his management capabilities. A very hard thing to do.

Joshua McNeil

All the information that you get out of books does help, books give more knowledge then you had at the beginning of it. The problem does not lie in the information you get out of books its in the lack of putting it into operation into your life. You take what you believe to be true and act upon that information. Just because you read a book alone does not mean that your life will change automatically. Like the saying goes wisdom without works is dead. Just because you have wisdom does not mean that you can't be ignorant.