Affirmations

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by ang.necole11, Jul 25, 2017. Replies: 19 | Views: 532

1. ang.necole11

ang.necole11 Member

Do you guys use them? If so, what ones do you use and how do they help you?

Cheers,
    Ang

2. Plokoon111

Plokoon111 Member

I just use simple ones like:
    I am strong and confident.
    I can do this.
    Basically I make it a habit to look at the positives in all situations and eventually they will start to happen. They are helpful bringing my energetic state up.

Angie Necole likes this.
  3. Angie Necole

Angie Necole Advisor Member

Nice ! :)

4. AnMa

AnMa Member

I honestly don't really use them a lot.
    The problem with affirmations is, no matter how much you affirm something, if your subconscious believes otherwise, it will win.

Your conscious mind and your willpower are only about 5% of all of your thoughts. The rest of the 95% are subconscious thoughts and beliefs. And if they are the opposite of what you are trying to affirm, well, guess who wins...
    The subconscious!
    Dr. Bruce Lipton has some great information about this, his book is a must read.

If you say an affirmation like, let's say I want to affirm: "I am healthy".
    But, deep down, I do not believe I am healthy at all, I believe I am sick because I got all these symptoms. Then it creates a confusion inside... you will feel that something isn't right... And that will send mixed signals to the universe.
    It could also send messages based off of fears. The frequency won't be the one that you really want to send out to the universe because, you really HAVE to BELIEVE it.

So, I am not saying that affirmations are not good, but I think most of the time, you also have to do some work on your subconscious beliefs in order to clean up the negative opposing thoughts and beliefs in order to make it much more effective.
    Thanks to the internet, there are tons of methods now to do that!
    It could be hypnosis, EFT, NLP, and some other energy healing techniques like Theta Healing, the Healing codes... etc.

If I want something, I will tend to focus on removing the dirt so that the right beliefs and thoughts are all that's remaining so the message is clear. :)
    I think a mix of affirmations AND a method to "reprogram" the thoughts are best.

msuccess and Dennielle Lee like this.
  5. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    Hi Ang,

Yes I do use affirmations, although sometimes I forget to say them but remember them when they are needed!

I have different ones that I say at different times in my life, one commonality between them all is that they all begin with 'I am'. As Wayne Dyer says, each time you start a sentence with 'I am' you are in the creating who and what you want to be.

I read a good blog post that advises that when we say an affirmation, say them slowly and really feel each word, feel the meaning of the word, they are more powerful this way. I tried it and it works!

:)

6. Angie Necole

Simplicity is beautiful :)

7. Angie Necole

I love your perspective. And its true what you're saying. There probably isn't any point in affirming anything to yourself if you don't believe. I have heard people say that after they repeated their affirmations so many times, they began to believe it. On the other hand, there is a bit of cognitive dissonance happening as well.

But you could focus on affirmations that you do believe. Instead of saying "I am healthy" when you know you're sick, you can say "my body is healing", "my body is in the process of healing", "I am cultivating a healthy body", etc. Maybe they can be tweaked to something we do believe.

8. Angie Necole

That's awesome! I never thought of saying them slowly and really listening to each word. I feel that make it resonate within you on another level. Thanks for the tip!

9. AnMa

AnMa Member

Yeah I recently heard about doing something similar! Like you say, tweaking it so it's not too dissonant! But I also like to go to the root cause of the problem and solve it forever! Well, I like to think we can solve everything forever lol. I might be wrong... I dunno.. I don't want to be wrong lol

Dennielle Lee likes this.
  10. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    No problem ;) It does make them a lot more powerful so definitely recommend it! :)

Angie Necole likes this.
  11. AnMa

AnMa Member

The tip I remember now to make it less dissonant!

Let's say you wanna say: "I am free" but you don,t feel it at all... You could say: "I like feeling free" or "I like the feeling of being free!". Now it will sound true and it won't be like when you say "I want" and all you're saying to the universe is that you want something and then the universe will give you that state of "wanting" and you'll stay in it forever lol. If you say you "like the feeling of", you will feel it and send a positive message even if you don't feel free at the moment.
    I love that idea now :)

Angie Necole likes this.
  12. Angie Necole

Awesome idea. I'll try it :)

13. nOproblem.fm

nOproblem.fm New Member

The best way to trick your mind into believing something is to see and feel what it is that you are saying to yourself. If you use your senses, the mind won't know the difference between real and pretend, and will give you more of what you are feeling and seeing in your mind's eye. If you are telling yourself, "I am happy", notice what it will look like and feel like when you are happy. That is what really gets things going in the right direction. Important tools that we can all use.

14. Visitor

Visitor Member

Retired
    My first important affirmation I used for early recovery from dangerously low self-esteem was called 'Mind over Matter'.
    It helped me to face any further threats of bullying and shaming by others. It goes like this:
    "It's mind over matter, I don't mind and you don't matter!"

Most of the time I said it to myself, but if the threat from another person was still present I would say it to their face. I never got a comeback from it.
    I used it for the first few years in recovery. It helped me to stand up for myself.

15. Plokoon111

Plokoon111 Member

That's a great affirmation ill have to use that one!

16. delboy491

delboy491 Advisor Member

I find that a vision board is a very good way achieving what you desire.If you get a board and get lots of cuttings / pictures in magazines etc of the things you desire
    and pin them to the board...This could be a house you've dreamed of a car or money or a relationship or better health this is very effective but need to have the board where you can see it
    everyday and don't forget as you look at the pictures of what you desire you need to feel it with emotion as if you already have it.
    I have felt that emotional when using this technique that it brought a tear to my eye...
    And probably the most important thing is to stay positive...I know this can be difficult with life sometimes but every time you feel negative try and think of a positive as soon as possible.
    I'm not saying my life is the best ever but it's certainly a hell of a lot better than where I was 5 years ago....
    It can take time and a lot of questioning your own beliefs but this does work....

17. ang.necole11

ang.necole11 Member

awesome advice. Glad to hear things are going well in your life :)

18. ang.necole11

ang.necole11 Member

It looks like you're a stronger individual :) Love the affirmation

19. ang.necole11

ang.necole11 Member

Act like and believe you already have it :) awesome

20. delboy491

delboy491 Advisor Member

The trick is and a very good place to start is how you are feeling so you can attract good into your life.
    The thing is that your emotions and thoughts work together so if for example you think of something positive ( thoughts that make you happy ) there will
    be an emotion attached which in turn will make you feel good...That's when you know you are on the right track but the hardest thing to do is staying
    positive with a lot of negativity in the world...
    That is why this process to a happier life can be tough but with the right mindset and determination you can get were you want to be...
    Like I've said previously I was in a very bad place 5 years ago and there are improvements in my life but I'm still working at it every day..;)