addictions and overcoming

naga

whenever i m tense or stressful..i tend to overcome by playing games or watching tv series or cartoons..
sometimes smoking..
recently i overcome smoking..and stopped it
but overcoming game play and watching tvseries is the main problem..
i keep on doing it so much that i am unable to concentrate on exams or work...resulting in more stress and more watching and playing...

i literally need healthy addiction.. to overcome and group support for persistance..

Reactions: Nas

Nas

Hi, thanks for your sharing,
Do you try the relaxation or meditation? I invite you to try ;-)

naga

I used to meditate...but over time it kinda became boring and stopped...:((

I guess motivation and enjoyment r definitely required..
How u guys get those while doing meditation...

It's puzzling to me..

Nas

You're welcome,
So if I can suggest you something, don't forget to be happy in your life, make that you like, look your strength points and stay focus on.
With a time and repetition it will become a good habit and your meditation can be improved ;-)

naga

yeah..i do want to..

coming to think of my strength attributes..
i just realised one thing.. if i want something i ll get it not minding even by going to extremes of hardships...
probably...... thats what made me successful at the same time anxious thinking i may not go through it well...

all i have to do is wish a thing to make me go through it enough to forget these petty things..

thanks bro...:)

Reactions: Nas

Love Temeca

Advisor Member
Hey there Naga,

Love your honest post. At the end, you said you needed a healthy addiction. That kinda concerns me in that any addiction isn't good. One could argue that one addiction is better than the other and I'd agree with that, but an addiction, nevertheless.

Perhaps you don't mean addiction in the literal sense but in the sense of helping you to better cope with your stressors.

To that, I'd encourage you to think more about the things that are causing you stressors in the first place because that's where the real concern lies. Now, there's always something in life that's going to cause us stress...that's human nature. But, doing something like exercising after work since work is a stressor is definitely better than an addiction. That way you can be doing something that's healthy, that won't take up all of your time, and that can decrease your level of stress.

Also, digging deeper into your stressors really can teach you a lot about yourself. For example, maybe by digging, you find out that a main stressor are friends that keep getting you down. Well, then the real question is why are you befriending those types of people, which has more to do with you and less to do with them. Does that make sense?

I hope this is helpful and I absolutely wish you the best.

-t

Cynthia

Senior Advisor
recently i overcome smoking..and stopped it
Congratulations! Maintaining that behavior of not smoking is a big accomplishment.

Try setting a schedule. Schedule in time for study -- and also plenty of time for games/tv and allow yourself to choose between games/tv for whatever time is "enough" for now.