Achieving multiple goals

Darin

Hi,

If I have 10-15 goals, both short-term like getting Kettle-bell certification to long-term goals like getting down to 14% body fat, should I try multiple things at once by creating systems or should I focus on one thing at a time? Can anyone achieve multiple goals by working on them simultaneously?

Thanks,
Darin

Hi Darin,,

As I pathfind using FEEL4 I have to bring your attention to the FEEL4 methodology which recommends people focus on three overarching focuses. Why three? Every human's life and overall wellbeing is dependent on three core things. These are: Health + Wealth + Relationships.

Health represents your mental, physical and spiritual health.

Wealth represents what you have to produce or buy or work for, for example building a house to shelter you comes under Wealth, buying an iPhone comes under wealth etc.

Relationships represents all of the relationships you have with people, animals and things in the world. For example your interaction with your partner, a work colleague, a plant, or a pet.

Once you are aware of these three "Overarching Focus Categories" then you can think about what other focuses (objectives) you can do which will contribute to achieve your overarching focus (Note "Focuses" is the term used because FEEL4 represents four steps: FOCUS + ENERGIZE + ENGAGE + LEARN). You must have a clear Focus to know what actions you need to take to achieve it.

Let's get an example. Your main question is this: "Should I try multiple things at once by creating systems or should I focus on one thing at a time? "

With a FEEL4 mindset and knowing about Overarching Focuses I would suggest you can focus on multiple things at once but only if you are aware of your overarching goal.

Example:
Overarching Focus - Health: I want to focus on having and maintaining a healthy mind and body starting now.​
Sub Focus 1 - Health: I want to focus on losing 50lbs in weight by Christmas this year.​
Sub Focus 2 - Health: I want to focus on practising meditation every day to reduce the stress in my mind and body.​
Sub Focus 3 - Health: I want to play football every week starting this week.​

Darin can you see how these three focuses are all contributing to the overarching one. And so the answer is yes, you can try multiple things when you use a system like FEEL4.

I definitely wouldn't try for all of them at once, but not one at a time either. Maybe three or four different ones. Anything past that and there aren't enough hours in the day. I'm currently working on about four goal on a daily basis: be a better dad, work on my stock market skills, work on my side hustle, and read the old testament by the end of the year. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
I think @VEM sums it all up right there, the only thing I would personally do first is look what your goals are for this year, and then prioritize those first and work on the most important 1 year goal.

Reason being is that 5-10 year goals are important to have, but I feel its more a vision and its hard to focus on goals that are so far away. So the best possible outcome would be that your 1 year goals are simultaneously moving you towards the bigger vision you've got for your life.

But if you can keep focus and feel motivated by your long-term goals then by all means go after it (after prioritizing whats really important), but whenever Im thinking about my 10year goal its just feels so far away that it discourages me.

Thats why I use smaller goals in alignment with my bigger goals (like little steps) and then focus on these completely.

Best regards,
Mick

I think @VEM sums it all up right there, the only thing I would personally do first is look what your goals are for this year, and then prioritize those first and work on the most important 1 year goal.
I like that. I did something similar this year. Last December I looked at my life goals and decided which ones I wanted to accomplish in 2018 (one of them, be a better dad, wasn't on my list though). I picked four and decided how I was going to get them done. After that the most important thing for me might be looking at them every single day. That way I don't forget to prioritize them and I stay motivated to keep working.

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hi @Darin If you're talking about systems (building a system), then I think you can only build one system (and you only need one system, that works).

Your system then builds your routines and habits that you need to achieve your goals. If you build the right system, then technically you can go for as many goals as your resources allow.

In my experience, I find that my goals reduce over time to only a handful that are the most important and have the highest impact (create the most good) for me and everyone around me. Finding your most important goals is a task in itself, so maybe you can try finding which of your goals are the most important/highest impact? Then the other goals may no longer be a goal.