Ability to Self-Motivate

A

artistry

Are you a person who starts the ball rolling, when there is something you have decided to do? Can you push yourself to initiate and complete projects? Those of us who are able to be self-motivators will more than likely get much more done, than those of us who don't, or can't motivate ourselves. Stimuli is not always available when we need it, so it is such a good thing to have the ability, to move forward and get the things completed that you intend. What would be a few of your self-motivators, things that you do to get going?

Yolanda

I think the most important thing to keep yourself going is to make your goals small(er) so you can easily achieve them. I would feel a lot better if I reward myself for every essay or test I pass, instead of rewarding myself after 4 years of college. The same thing goes for pretty much any other big task, perhaps smaller than an education, but still something you can't finish in a wink of an eye. If you intend to clean your whole house, it would be better to make a shedule and reward yourself with 10 minute breaks after every room you clean than to clean the whole house at once without giving yourself this reward. Frequent small rewards (short breaks, a treat, etc) are better than large rewards at the end of the task. The chances of dropping a task early are higher if there aren't small rewards/breaks in it that give the person a positive perspective on the task ("I can do this!")

A

artistry

Yolanda, that sounds like a great idea. all along the way you are encouraged to do more, and you feel as though you have accomplished something, because of the reward. Great thought. Thank you.

zararina

Coaching Member
I could say that I have that ability to self motivated. It is since I work at home and I live by myself. There is no one that could motivate me and say go finish a project or work hard. I motivate myself by setting priorities and reaching goals in life. And I could say that monthly bills could also help me motivate myself to work. :p

A

artistry

zararina, sometimes the best thing that can happen to us, to make us move, is that we have to depend on ourselves. That can help motivate us and also put a little pep in our step. Cheers.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
The ability to motivate oneself and to keep on moving despite all the negative things happening around the person is a very, very important trait of people who are successful. No one among people who are famously known today lacks this self-motivation. We will never be truly successful without this characteristic. The problem is that this is something a little bit hard to develop within ourselves as it is so easy to just give up especially if people whom you are depending for support are no more at your side. Would you still be going for your vision or big dream even if all people are already against it and taunting you? I hope the answer is yes! :D :D

jessicasilverman

Advisor Member
I think support and accountability is essential to keep your spirits up. Unfortunately a lot of us tend to be the lone ranger solopreneur. That is why it may be a good idea to hire a coach or get a partner or at least an accountability buddy to talk to on the phone everyday or once a week.

Cecil Estrera

I think bills also motivate me to strive harder, LOL! Thinking alone of the installment that I have to pay, along with monthly utility bills and necessities that I have to buy makes me get up from bed and work more. That's why I don't really rest until my daily quota has been reached.

The thought of having a reward after reaping the fruits of my hard work can also be as motivating. So be sure to relax and reward yourself too, even if it's just once in a while.

Danny Oberron

I hate looking like someone who does not complete. I tell EVERYONE what I'm about to do. My pride takes care of the rest. I learned very quickly to stick to projects I knew I could finish. Also the 80:20 rule helps a lot too - I stick to the important stuff and ignore the rest as I have finite energy. Ultimately I stop thinking and start doing, even if I'm unsure of myself - I quickly work it out.

John Sharpe

I think I'm a pretty good self starter, enthuasism has never been my weakness but keeping on task and not getting distracted are more my weaknesses. I think if you have enough passion and a strong vision of where you want to get to you will achieve you goals.

If you want to hear a great speech about getting started check this:

Heart&MindofaLeader

setting goals that are realistic and achievable. It is also important to celebrate small victories every time you achieve a small goal that you've set. By doing so it will inspire you to set another goal and work hard in achieving it. Setting ambiguous goals without smaller checkpoints along the way (smaller and easier to achieve goals) would make it very challenging to reach it and have motivation to get there. Setting realistic, achievable goals and rewarding yourself for achieving them is very important.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Being motivated is something we all should want to do in order to achieve more. I motivate myself to do all my work through the need to add on to my meager earnings, help clients and educate other people.

Nik

I believe the most important thing to realize for those who want to motivate themselves, is that you actually choose to get motivated.

How do you set your goals? Do you like what you are planning to achieve? Your goals must be inspiring and it really helps to keep them realistic.
Everybody probably knows how to make their goals SMART*, I say make them SMARTY - Y stands for you. It has to be inspiring for you; make it your own.
I also remember the Rules of Happiness, by Hermes Trismegistus.
1. If you like something, enjoy it
2. If you don't like it, avoid it
3. If you can't avoid it, change it
4. If you can't change it, accept it
5. To accept it, you have to change your opinion towards it

For example: If your toilet is dirty, you probably don't like cleaning it. You can only avoid it until.. well, you can imagine.
Changing it is not really possible without a magic wand or a sledge hammer.
If you want to accept it and actually enjoy cleaning it, you have to change your opinion.
To change your perspective you have to zoom out. So make your goal NOT to clean the toilet, since you hate doing that.
Avoid saying 'I have to' since everybody is allergic to those words.
Make your goal a little broader (zoom out) and say 'I like a clean toilet', or 'I enjoy sitting on a clean toilet'.
Do you feel the difference? This is a mental process, so you probably have to become a bit more aware of your automatic thoughts first.
My mentor Burt Goldman (The American Monk) explains it really well. Visit YouTube and search 'The Rules Of Happiness'.
Of course you can always change your automatic thoughts. Then visit a hypnotherapist, or do some self-hypnosis.

* Refresh: SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Acceptable, Realistic and Time bounded.
Just Google 'smart goals' or something like that and learn more about it.

Samantha

I agree with a lot of these post - self-motivation is great, and those who are able to do it are usually those who can break things down into smaller attainable goals. Achieving something sends positive feelings to your brain, which motivates you to do more.

However, that said, we are all human, so it's always good to find someone to help hold you accountable, keep you motivated, and help encourage you or help you find clarity when it feels like things are going off the rails (as they always do at some point).

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
I believe the most important thing to realize for those who want to motivate themselves, is that you actually choose to get motivated.

How do you set your goals? Do you like what you are planning to achieve? Your goals must be inspiring and it really helps to keep them realistic.
Everybody probably knows how to make their goals SMART*, I say make them SMARTY - Y stands for you. It has to be inspiring for you; make it your own.
I also remember the Rules of Happiness, by Hermes Trismegistus.
1. If you like something, enjoy it
2. If you don't like it, avoid it
3. If you can't avoid it, change it
4. If you can't change it, accept it
5. To accept it, you have to change your opinion towards it

For example: If your toilet is dirty, you probably don't like cleaning it. You can only avoid it until.. well, you can imagine.
Changing it is not really possible without a magic wand or a sledge hammer.
If you want to accept it and actually enjoy cleaning it, you have to change your opinion.
To change your perspective you have to zoom out. So make your goal NOT to clean the toilet, since you hate doing that.
Avoid saying 'I have to' since everybody is allergic to those words.
Make your goal a little broader (zoom out) and say 'I like a clean toilet', or 'I enjoy sitting on a clean toilet'.
Do you feel the difference? This is a mental process, so you probably have to become a bit more aware of your automatic thoughts first.
My mentor Burt Goldman (The American Monk) explains it really well. Visit YouTube and search 'The Rules Of Happiness'.
Of course you can always change your automatic thoughts. Then visit a hypnotherapist, or do some self-hypnosis.

* Refresh: SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Acceptable, Realistic and Time bounded.
Just Google 'smart goals' or something like that and learn more about it.
Your post is brilliant.

ArielTUBI

Thank you for such a quality post.
I firmly believe that the ability to motivate ourselves to the point where we eliminate procrastination is one of the most important key traits we must possess in order to succeed at ANYTHING we want.
That takes (as I can see it) :
- Having a strong enough WHY (that keeps you going even when there's a setback)
- Logic thinking (when we just "don't feel" like doing something we need to do, emotion takes place. We need to talk to ourselves logically that it's just a feeling, and we need to do what needs to be done)

Cheers & Love! ;)

Developonlinesuccess

Coaching Member
Hi for self motivation, how about enjoying what you do, if you enjoy your work hobby whatever you are contemplating you will be keen to get on with it. Feel passion for your project and it won't be hard to become motivated. I have several articles on my website and EzineArticles if you fancy reading them.

antony73

Self-Motivation I believe is best achieved by motivating others. Second to that is goal reading.

Another way I use is to just go into 'Mechanic' mode. Just push myself into doing, without thinking. A little like kicking myself out of bed to go running early morning. After I've gotten over the first hump, there's a power, a flow that excites me into keeping going. Self-Motivation at time comes from having no Self-Motivation, but the act of 'doing' creates its own Motivation.

An idea from David Schwartz is to record some kind of self commercial, and listen to it daily.

To be honest, at times, no matter how hard I try, I can't achieve Self-Motivation, no matter how hard I try. But just taking one step at a time, one baby step at a time, moves me steadily towards my goal, and to be sure, Self-Motivation comes. I've just learned not to really on it.

Lastly, and to some it may really be 'out there,' but physical activity, some stretching, light jumping, cold water on my face, a shower etc. followed by some some self pep-talk gets me up and going for whatever work I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk