A positive kids club?

MissyBea

Hello,

I am a divorced mother who has recently moved to a small town. I love small town living! It is the best! However, my children are finding it difficult to make friends. So, we came up with a great idea to start a kids club!:) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start a club? I want the club to be a place where children learn positive personal development skills. I want it to be easily available to parents of any status or income level. I want it to be a place where the children interact with one another and develop meaningful relationships. My children currently participate in sports and other clubs but I noticed they do not encourage the children to communicate with one another. Because it is a small town, most of the kids my children are around, already have their own friends so it seems a bit difficult for my kids to fit in.
I think that starting a kids club that focuses on self improvement would be awesome! As the leader of this group I could help the kids to intermingle and socialize with one another I understand that it can be hard making new friends! If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear them

Thanks!
Missy Bea

selfmade

You could call your club, "The New Kids On The Block," and invite the children of new families such as your own. Make it a "welcome to the neighborhood" type club where you teach everyone about the community you live in and the sites to see, historical background, etc. You could offer it as a summer club when kids have lots of free time. Why not do outings to familiarize kids with libraries, public parks, notable businesses, historical sites, museums, even farms or fruit stands and other activities about town. While you are welcoming them you can focus on simple but key self development ideas like developing positive habits, staying healthy and interacting well with others. You would need to develop course materials like handouts, coloring pages or posters. It sounds like fun!

MissyBea

It does sound like fun!!!:):)
I love this idea. It would help the kids get acquainted with one another and familiarize the children with the town we live in! I will give this a try. I think this is exactly what children need to help them feel comfortable. Moving to a new place can be overwhelming to say the least. I can see this as a positive experience for not only, my children but myself as well. The club may be created for new kids in the area but we would definitely welcome kids who have been living here for awhile. They would be an asset and can share their favorite places to go here in town.
Thank You for sharing! I will keep you posted.
Thanks,
Missy Bea