30 Days of Productivity (Experiment)

Madman

Hi!

And First of all, sorry for my bad English. I'm unfortunately not living in an English speaking country.
I'm new here on the forum and would like to share an experiment with you.

With the occasion of the beginning of a new year and considering that my life is a total chaos at this moment from a social, emotional, spiritual and work perspective, I started a "productivity trial" to work on a couple of projects that will (hopefully) lead me out of this rather uncomfortable situation. As I thought that New Years resolutions are kind of too low level if you really need to change your life's circumstances, I'm doing a 30 day trial ( http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/04/30-days-to-success/ ) instead. I originally intended to start this trial on January 1st but by that time I was still on Christmas holidays and due to some trouble I had there, I had to delay the start until January 11th. My trial will consist of spending 6 * 30 min of work on projects related to my college degree, 3 * 30 min of work on private projects (social, spiritual, long term life perspective, fun stuff etc.) and 1 * 30 min on important paperwork I have postponed for much too long, in addition to my scarcely existing daily routine. That's 5 additional hours, which might not sound like a lot but I'm only going to count the effective working time, not pseudo-working or distractions, so it's actually more than 5 hours. I'm also going to undertake some other experiments regarding nutrition, general fitness and hopefully improving my terrible English.

I'm planning to update this thread every couple of days or if something interesting happens. Until then please don't hesitate to give me your opinion, suggestions, criticism, death threats or any other kind of feedback!

Kind regards :)

Madman

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Hi Madman, that sounds like a great plan with the 30 day trial. Even though you're not doing New Years Resolutions, some of the concepts in a new article on the main website may be of interest to you: http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/tips-keeping-new-years-resolutions.htm, they apply to any resolution to make changes, whether it's near New Years or not!

I wish you success in this and hope you report back.

Madman

Hi everyone!

Today was a very tough day... While I had no problem to focus during the time spent on Studying, college projects and paper work I experienced serious stagnation on the private projects. Namely I'm trying to figure out which way my college education should go, as I have at least three extremely interesting options which are very different from each other and (probably) mutually exclusive. I don't really know how to solve this problem, so I mostly use the time to gather more information without really knowing what to search for and getting nowhere. I wish there was a way of getting more "structure" into the problem.

@ msuccess

Many thanks for the article. I'm trying to implement some of the practical advice at the end.

MGB001

Hey Madman, don't be surprised that today was tough - the 15/16th January are the most popular days for breaking resolutions. It typically takes 21/28 days to form a habit so keep on keeping on and you'll see massive results. Maintain the focus by reviewing your clear purpose a few times a day.
Good Look
MGB001

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
In regards to your three options, in addition to the more logical analytical process in determining what best serves your interests and strengths, don't overlook your intuition and passion. If one of them excites you more, that may be the one to pursue. There are numerous advantages to following your passion which I could go into in length. I changed my own college major as a sophomore to follow something that excited me more, but where I might earn a little less money. It was a difficult decision at the time to not do something I had planned on for many years, but one of the best decisions I made in my life.