Search results

  1. Joe1776

    An Argument Against Positive Thinking

    While it is true that some people habitually see everything in a negative light, it is a mistake to tell them they need to make a habit of positive thinking to overcome their problem. Imagine three pairs of eyeglasses. One has dark brown lenses for negative viewing. Another has rose-colored...
  2. Joe1776

    Not Well-Liked? Spend More Time Being Other-Conscious

    Our minds cannot be in two places at the same time. If we spend 70% of our time being self-conscious, that leaves just 30% of our time being other-conscious. When we spend most of our time being self-conscious, we might be called self-absorbed." We are boring writers or conversationalists who...
  3. Joe1776

    Identifying the Arch Enemy Within

    Years ago, the National Geographic Magazine published an article about an encounter between anthropologists and the people of a New Guinea tribe. When a native man, otherwise naked, was asked why he wore the leather fig leaf size cover over his penis, he explained that if not for that he would...
  4. Joe1776

    Reasoning: The Most Useful Tool for Personal Development

    For me, the most useful tool for personal development has been my brain's ability to reason about cause and effect. This ability has enabled me to acquire knowledge about human nature. And since I am human, the knowledge allows me to understand myself better. It has been said that all...
  5. Joe1776

    Predicting the Role of Religion in Personal Development

    In my thread entitled Nature Has Determined Our Mission in Life, which argued that our mission is to make moral progress, to become better human beings, I had a brief discussion with msuccess that included an exchange about religion. I think that, with few exceptions over the centuries...
  6. Joe1776

    Nature Has Determined Our Mission in Life

    Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure -- Jeremy Bentham We seek pleasure and try to avoid pain. When we hear of an innocent person being seriously harmed by the intentional act of another, we get an unpleasant feeling that we might...
  7. Joe1776

    Change Behavior by Changing Attitudes

    Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom -- Viktor Frankl Adding to Frankl's observation... In that space between stimulus and response is an attitude about the stimulus. The stimulus...