What Starts And Keeps You Motivated?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Andy S, Nov 7, 2016. Replies: 13 | Views: 556

1. Andy S

Andy S Member

How do you get motivated before starting a life or large goal? How do YOU continue to motivate yourself as you're pursuing your dreams?

2. Five Big Ideas

Five Big Ideas Advisor Member

Hey, Andy, that's a great question! I'll only give you my opinion, so it's up to you whether you find it useful or not.

What I do to get started with a life or large goal, is to fire up some inspirational music, and follow the instructions in books like "Leading An Inspired Life" by Jim Rohn or "Awaken the Giant Within" by Tony Robbins. Some important things to remember is to be specific, and have a definite date for achievement.

Then, to keep myself motivated, I read the goal(s) every morning and night before I go to bed enthusiastically, and then visualize that the goal is already complete. This maintains my desire to achieve it, since I am constantly reminding myself of what's important to me. Remember, though, to have certain action steps that you do EVERY day or week to move towards your goal. Goal visualization without clear action steps is just daydreaming :)

I hope you found this helpful!

RodaTL likes this.
  3. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    What gets and keeps me motivated is the desire to succeed, finish what I start and help others.

4. Anton

Anton New Member

Respecting my goal. Treating it like it was the most important thing in my life. When there are tasks connected to my goal, I don't look at them as a part of the everyday workflow. Instead, I finish them first thing in the morning, and only then move to other business. If I can't work on them right in the morning, I make sure they will be finished during the day no matter what. They can't be postponed, edited or removed, only completed.

5. RodaTL

RodaTL Advisor Member

Confidence coach, entrepreneur, registered nurse
    What Five Big Ideas says is very much what I go by as well. I'll just add that, revisiting your goals enthusiastically every morning and every night, plus the action steps and definite timeframe, stimulates the brain to become more creative as to how to achieve the goal in question. Your brain will start finding more and more ways for achieving your final goal, as well as more and faster solutions to the obstacles that will come your way as you go about your goal. Remember to always keep the big picture of your dream in mind, as that's what keeps you on your course and prevents you from getting sidetracked by various distractions along the way.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  6. marlen90

marlen90 New Member

what motivates me is the fact that ill be able to hide in my bed when it gets dark

Tallstack likes this.
  7. Cynthia

Cynthia Senior Member

Entrepreneur
    Choosing something that matters to me!

8. thestrongprofessional

thestrongprofessional Member

I usually get motivated when I set a goal related to something I'm passionate about. When I write the goal down it gets my creativity juices flowing and I begin to think of ways to achieve that goal. Staying motivated is the biggest challenge. It requires daily advancement towards that goal. I've found that once you get a few days under your belt, momentum starts to build. This momentum will propel you to achieve the goal and subsequent goals you have set for yourself. Hope this helps.

Raphael

Cynthia likes this.
  9. The Gift of Gratis

The Gift of Gratis Member

To be honest, I don't really see "motivation" as a driving factor anymore. I have accomplished much more recently when I started to JUST DO things. I think the thought of motivation is used as a crutch quite often. My discipline now has helped me achieve much more, because I start to believe in myself more, which in turn motivates me. Not to say I'm not motivated at all, I get sparks every once and a while :p

10. Harry Japa

Harry Japa Member

Self-Employed
    I do things that really matter to me. I find it very hard to 'motivate' myself if I have zero ounces of passion for the task that I am doing.
    Fill your life with things that matter to you.

11. Ongoinggrowing

Ongoinggrowing Member

Supervisor in Customer Support and Blogger
    "Motivation keeps you started"
    "Habits keeps you doing it"

Not the exact quote but very relevant :)

Tallstack and The Gift of Gratis like this.
  12. Tallstack

Tallstack Member

Nursing Home Administrator
    Possibly one of the better answers. Why? Because your being honest. Not that others aren't. But you got the guts to say it's ok to do this once in awhile.

Which one of us hasn't wanted to do this really bad or done it.

Thanks

13. Tallstack

Tallstack Member

I was going to say something like that to. I read a ebook on developing habits and hooking them on to other already developed habits. Like, brushing my teeth is a habit or making the bed. I then tack on a 5 minute plan like learning spanish. I can do almost anything for 5 minutes. In a year I figure I'll know a lot more Spanish than I would have plus it'll be a habit.

I can hold my breath for at least two and a half minutes so it's really easy when you think about it.

Ongoinggrowing likes this.
  14. Tallstack

Tallstack Member

Since I've started writing on this forum I noticed I've been thinking more.

Not sure why but maybe because I've been reading what others were talking about. Plus, my own writing has caused me to think.

Not saying my writing is anything great, because it isn't. But it has given me cause to pause (sorry about that) and actually think.

Imagine that.