What is Personal Development?

Hi Elma,
Thank you for sharing that with me Elhama. I love to exchange ideas with like-minded people.

However, I think to say it is all about enjoying life may give the impression that it is just some kind of luxury.
Can you please tell me a little more about what you mean by this? Am I correctly understanding that you're saying that what I said gives the impression that enjoying life is some kind of luxury?

I believe it is more accurate to say that personal development is about how to effectively live life, and sometimes, in extreme cases, it is necessary to the degree that it becomes about how to just live life.
Yes I love that Elhama! You're spot on with that in my opinion. Although I believe (and this belief is shaped from my own experiences) that continious learning allows you to learn life effectively. Also, since I started learning more about myself, through the knowledge of others (books), I started to figure out how "to just live life". That's the only reason that I'm where I'm today.

If it wasn't for learning, I bet I would've been another internet troll searching for some interaction. Now I love myself completely and am on a journey to give back to world that what has transformed my life :)

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi Mick IOM,
Thanks for discussing that subject with me. I also like discussing such ideas with people who share the same interest. I agree with you regarding the importance of learning. To me, I feel learning is the only thing that makes a person feel their youth is regenerating regardless of how much old they are. I did not at all mean that enjoying life is some kind of luxury nor I meant that what you said was giving that impression.

I believe life is like a journey or a group of several journeys. When a person set a goal as going through a journey, they plan for it and prepare for it to make it be enjoyable. During that preparing phase and during the journey itself, they should do things that might not be enjoyable but necessary for making the journey be enjoyable. So, I meant that in some cases, self-development becomes one of the necessary things that a person should do to be able live life even if they do not find fun (or not interested) in doing it.

Also, sometimes, the journey itself may not be the goal but the goal is something to be achieved after finishing it and so sometimes the journey as a whole may not be enjoyable at all, but soon after finishing it and reaching the goal a person has all the joy and fun they need.

I believe also that a life journey varies between individuals regarding how much it is enjoyable. I think the trick to have an enjoyable life journey is to make balance between things you like to do and things you just should do. In my opinions, that balance can be achieved if a person have self-discipline which in turn could be achieved through sticking to one's good manners and good principles; i.e., through ethics.

If life is enjoyable and positively productive in the same time, then in my opinion, it is effectively lived.
I hope your life journey be enjoyable as much as positively productive.
Kind Regards

Last edited:
Hi Elhama,

Sorry for my late response and thanks for your discussion, I love it!

I believe life is like a journey or a group of several journeys. When a person set a goal as going through a journey, they plan for it and prepare for it to make it be enjoyable. During that preparing phase and during the journey itself, they should do things that might not be enjoyable but necessary for making the journey be enjoyable. So, I meant that in some cases, self-development becomes one of the necessary things that a person should do to be able live life even if they do not find fun (or not interested) in doing it.
I love this. I do agree that personal development is necessary to be able to live life in circumstances. The problem is that most people don't find it necessary and have a wrong stigma towards personal development. I think that personal development could be fun at any time, as long as you learn to change your mindset around it. After all, it's your own personal development. Also, you'll impact all the lives around you by developing yourself.

but soon after finishing it and reaching the goal a person has all the joy and fun they need.
I don't agree with this. I don't believe that reaching any goal in life brings you joy and fun. I very much believe that the ultimate goal is the journey towards a goal itself. I've seen many people reach their goals, and although they found joy in this, it never lasted long.

I wrote an article about how important goal setting is, not so much for reaching the goal itself, but to strive towards something and being on a journey in a certain direction. Surely, you can find joy in reaching a goal, but I've never had that long-lasting fulfillment from reaching any of my goals so far. I always set new ones and start chasing after them. That's why I started to focus on the journey and enjoying this as much as possible.

I think the trick to have an enjoyable life journey is to make balance between things you like to do and things you just should do.
I do agree with this as well. However, I think that so many people have a negative attitude towards the things they "should do" and focus too much on this part of their lives. The thing I'm trying to say is that even when you should do something, it's your choice to make it enjoyable or not. For example; when I'm cleaning the house, I put up an audiobook (I just love learning) and that makes the whole experience much more enjoyable. I also changed my perspective to; If I clean mindfully it's relaxing for the brain.

I think everyone deals with struggles of various levels throughout our lives. Of course, some people might have worse experiences than others, but we all have the ability to change how we feel about our experiences and what we focus on most of the time.

- Mick
PS. how do I get your name up the top of this message like you did with mine? I tried with the @ (like on social media) but I couldn't figure it out.

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi again, Mick IOM,
To high extent I agree with all what you mentioned in your post above especially regarding your words;
The thing I'm trying to say is that even when you should do something, it's your choice to make it enjoyable or not. For example; when I'm cleaning the house, I put up an audiobook (I just love learning) and that makes the whole experience much more enjoyable. I also changed my perspective to; If I clean mindfully it's relaxing for the brain.
You are right in implying that attitude make all the difference just as mentioned in the following nice youtube video:

Although, in my opinion, to be fair, sometimes, a person just can not like what they should do, no matter how hard they try because their heart and passion are set on something else and so they can not enjoy the other things that they should do. It is just that simple as the verbs love and like can not be used to form logical orders to be followed. Also, not all people exposure to the same kind nor the same quantity of stresses so, generalization is not fair to some people. That is why I made the following clarification regarding your following words:
I don't agree with this. I don't believe that reaching any goal in life brings you joy and fun. I very much believe that the ultimate goal is the journey towards a goal itself. I've seen many people reach their goals, and although they found joy in this, it never lasted long.
When I said that a person sometimes can not find joy in the journey itself but only after reaching the goal, I meant that in certain cases of journeys with certain goals such as great goals not relatively small goals such as buying a car or a house. When a person reaches such great goals, those goals themselves become another journey that shapes their life. For example, if a person does not have money to join a certain college to study a certain subject they like, they may work in a job that they do not like nor enjoy at all just to get to their dream college. Finally when they reach that goal they have all the joy. Soon after that, the goal of going to their dream college itself forms another journey but in this time, a journey they really enjoy. When they finish that later journey they can reach another goal which is working in a field they like that in its turn brings more joy to them and itself becomes a wonderful enjoyable journey for them that shapes their lives and lasts for ever.

If I got your question right, then in relation to your name shown in my post, I just go with the mouse to the name typed under your picture which shown on the left of your post and I copy it. Then I paste it after the greeting word "Hi".

Finally I would like to thank you for that interesting discussion.
With My Kind Regards

Last edited:
Hi Elhama,

Yes, that works! Great haha :)

I see what you're saying here and I do agree. Of course, you won't love everything you do. Sometimes you've to do certain things in life out of necessity. But even though you might not like a certain job, if it's only short-term and with a clear goal, it becomes more bearable or even fun.

If you really hate the journey you're on, you might do something wrong. There're so many alternatives to for example college or a certain job you're doing. And even if there is no other option for you to pick, you've got the option to decide your attitude towards it, as discussed in that video you linked :).

I do get your point and I agree that sometimes we've to go through short-term pain to gain long-term satisfaction. Unfortunately, most people seem to seek for short-term pleasure at the cost of long-term pain. That's one of the reasons that I enjoy learning so much because there's always something new to learn and I know that it will never end.

It's a journey for life with plenty of fruits to pick along the way :)
That successful long-term mindset, continuous curiosity and eagerness to learn, whilst enjoying the road ("the moment") is for me the definition of personal development :)

I would like to return the Thank You, Elhama, for this discussion :)

Kind regards,
Mick

personal development starts from within. my personality is just like very shy, fearful, pessimistic, negative approach towards my future and my mood completely depends upon the situation. but i am very fond of readinf or listening something positive on daily basis. and this attitude is the key to my personal development. i am on the way and much better than what i used to be earlier. if you love yourself then forget everything and make personal development your prime goal of life. i have given my brief intro on-https://journeyandgoal.blogspot.in/2018/03/Self-Development.html.

DreamLifeRules

Advisor Member
Personal Development should be part of live of every person in the world. Sadly, a lots of people thinks, they don´t have to improve, they are satisfied with what they have, and then, complain about what they don´t have. So I think, Personal Development should be duty of every person, who wants to succeed in any area of life. For me, when I try to be better today, then I was yesterday, I feel Great, and I want more people to feel as great as I did, when I learn something new.

Personal Development to me is about Self Satisfaction. You need be satisfied from the inner for it to show on the outer. It is about discovering things within yourself that needs improvement or overcoming the fear to develope what's already there in order to grow and flourish. There is always room in our lives for Personal Development. I could go on but I'll stop there.

smithelly

For my point of view Personal Development implies distinctive things to various individuals. Eventually personal development is tied in with concentrating on creating or refining your aptitudes, capacities, demeanor, and mindfulness for individual objective. As a classification Personal development covers different territories of human movement and can be connected to business and money related development. Socially Personal improvement can be connected to enhancing social relationship, with companion's family or associates, accomplices, representatives.

"Be your best self, work your whole life on it. And when you die, you leave the best version of yourself behind."

This is a quote that I have posted today on my personal profile here on this forum, and I believe that personal development is all about to get the best out of your self. We all have talents, and we need to search for who we really want to be >>> the best version of yourself!

FREE Report Reveals: "7 SECRETS TO CREATING YOUR BEST LIFE POSSIBLE"

I love to Champion Success in others all day long because I believe we all have great potential within us to achieve greatly in life. Yet so many are drifting through life like "A wandering generality and not like a meaningful specific" - Zig Ziggler. But it is my mission to Inspire, Motivate and Educate the masses in the art of Personal Transformation and one of my ebook will get you out of the blocks fast as you learn the Power of Execution! If you want this resource and much more I am here to help you.

https://inspiringachievers.clickfunnels.com/the-power-of-execution
POE_Book-1000.png

VEM

I wrote an article about how important goal setting is, not so much for reaching the goal itself, but to strive towards something and being on a journey in a certain direction. Surely, you can find joy in reaching a goal, but I've never had that long-lasting fulfillment from reaching any of my goals so far. I always set new ones and start chasing after them. That's why I started to focus on the journey and enjoying this as much as possible.
The thrill of the chase. Addictive at times.

The thrill of the chase. Addictive at times.
It sure is. I believe it's good to have goals to "chase" after, as of how I mentioned that, haha. As long as you've got some positive and impactful things to chase after, I believe it can be a good addictive thing, IF it doesn't neglect the most important area's in life, such as your relationships (family, friends, & partner) and of course your health & vitality.

What are your 2 cents on that? Have you got something you chase after yourself?

VEM

Hello Mick

At the moment......I'm chasing employment due to a bad decision at my last job. The loss of security has been and is, something good and bad. Lots of soul searching.

Beyond that making the effort of keeping myself mentally and physically fit for employment.

What do I chase after now? In the past it was putting together a huge and in depth mental representation of the universe and the life forms in it. Trying to understand the mechanics of reality, chasing women and trying to get rich. I'm 51 now and years ago I understood that to exist in this universe we're in as human beings, is something special. It's wonderful to be human, to be what we are because we have been blessed by millions of years of natural selection with a body advanced enough for us to create so much of what we see around us and have a brain complex enough to understand the building blocks of reality to the point where we have become the dominant and vastly more technologically advanced animal on the planet.

Savoring and understanding how special my existence is as well as all sentient beings was something that grew out of my quest beginning as a child to put together that grand mental picture of the universe. My quest to understand the universe beginning with the interactions of the quantum fields all the way out to the human experience and beyond......learning of stars collapsing, the fabric of space time being curved by matter
and wondering why as many of us do...... why are we here. What was here before the universe.

What do I chase after? Of course always I seek to try and control my behavior and mold it to be conducive to my struggle to live comfortably and appreciate my life as human being. The goals you struggle and strive for can change with age. Some are there until you die, others you cast to the side as your mental eye evolves.

Right now I'm trying to get that magic spark of emotion and realization that I had when I was in my early 20's when I saw human life without riches, power and objects as being a grand thing. That was enough. You can come to that moment of enlightenment but then slowly lose it if you aren't careful. You lose it through the rat race, through not having those around you that see the same thing.

Hi V,

That's an amazingly indepth summary of your journey and I loved reading this, especially this part:
It's wonderful to be human, to be what we are because we have been blessed by millions of years of natural selection with a body advanced enough for us to create so much of what we see around us and have a brain complex enough to understand the building blocks of reality to the point where we have become the dominant and vastly more technologically advanced animal on the planet.
I also do believe that's it's important to stay grateful for the fact that we are so lucky that out of everything we could've been, we turned out to be humans.

I love your journey of discovering the meaning of life and the deeper sense of the meaning of this universe. This on its own is a journey of a lifetime and I believe that this journey on its own will change depending on what life stage you're in.

If you don't mind me asking; what is the biggest take away from your past experiences and search for the deeper meaning of life? And what would be something you would tell your 20 years younger self?

I'm curious about this because I'm seeking to broaden my perspective and not only through books and YouTube.

Best regards,
Mick

VEM

If you don't mind me asking; what is the biggest take away from your past experiences and search for the deeper meaning of life? And what would be something you would tell your 20 years younger self?
What I would tell him. Don't get caught up in drugs and alcohol, be more diligent in saving and investing your money and don't lose sight of the fact that life all by its self is a special thing and there's no need to get caught up in acquiring this and that to make you happy. Hell there's a lot I would tell that younger self.
Concentrate on being financially independent instead of chasing women and daydreaming. Lol.

I haven't had a bad life but I'm like everybody else when I look back at the early years and say yes there were a lot of things I would've done differently. Hindsight is easy, foresight is what's tough to develop and use.

I tell people sometimes "I had a good run, if I die tomorrow it is what it is and I can't say I didn't have some really good times".

Oh yes and another thing. I would've been more selective about the people that I ran with back then most definitely.

Be good Mick.

@VEM

Thats some great advice right there. I feel like Im already resonating with a bunch of it. I think in this modern age of social and stuff this becomes a more important message that you said:

don't lose sight of the fact that life all by its self is a special thing and there's no need to get caught up in acquiring this and that to make you happy.
Definitely a good reminder. Im happy you were willing to share this with me and I think its a great amount of lessons. This shows me how were growing throughout our lifetime and that really inspires me.

Thanks for sharing this with me VEM.

All the best to you,
Mick