What Inspires You to Leave Your Comfort Zone?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Kevin Mahoney, Jun 26, 2017. Replies: 14 | Views: 519

1. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    “In order to do anything new in life, we must be willing to leave our comfort zone. That involves taking risks, which can be frightening. However, each time we leave our comfort zone and conquer new territory, it not only expands our comfort zone but also enlarges us.”

John C. Maxwell

I read the above quote today. It caught my attention because it highlights some important truths about personal growth and the required steps involved. First, if we are going to exceed past performance and experiences, we will have to leave our comfort zones. Athletes understand that they will not get stronger or faster by doing the same workout routine over and over. Such repetition may help maintain a certain physique but it will not result in growth.

Second, the risks we must take to grow can be intimidating. This is especially true if we are not in the habit of actively seeking growth. Nevertheless, when we do leave our comfort zones to grow, we can increase the size of our comfort zones and increase our personal and professional bandwidths.

What roles do comfort and risk play in your personal growth? Do you have any quotes that inform your perspective in this area?

Maxwell, J. (2011). The Five Levels of Leadership: Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential. New York. Center Street.

2. Tani

Tani Member

Certified Life Coach
    Having an intention for my life constantly reminds me to step outside my comfort zone. I use to show up and live with no intention, just going through the motions of life because I was comfortable in my own space, until I realized that I was letting LIFE pass me by because I wasn't actually participating in it! So whenever I'm feeling uncomfortable in any situation, I act on it. I've broken down those barriers by constantly making a conscious effort to not confine or limit myself.

3. Tendani

Tendani Member

Realizing that you are comfortable at whatever you could be comfortable at is a good indicator, that something need to be changed,
    When you are comfortable it fells good... but you're stuck.

There is no passion, no drive if you play small and feel comfortable.
    I believe everybody can be the greatest only if they are out side of their comfort zone.
    Achieving more is what inspire me to kill my comfort zone.

I always make sure whatever i do requires me to stretch a little bit more than expected.
    In that way i find myself growing.

I encourage everyone not settle for less than what they deserve,
    Just don't let yourself to get comfortable if you want to grow.

4. Kevin Mahoney

Public Service
    Tani I really like your point about focusing on intention. So often, life and my schedule feels preplanned. I think focusing on intention each day, especially at the start of it, is something I will focus on doing.
    Tendani it is ironic that when we are feeling totally comfortable we probably are not in the right place and need to push ourselves more. I guess intention is the only way to overcome it.

5. Accipiter82

Accipiter82 Member

Getting out of the comfort zone sometimes feels like stepping out of our ‘’happy place’’. Our ‘’happy place’’ is the state where we try to eliminate stress and anxiety, we minimize risks and we feel mentally secure by sticking to our routines, habits, and things we’ve already tried and worked out well for us. When we step out of our comfort zone we often feel very anxious about the present and the future, we meet new challenges ahead and push our boundaries which seem to make us feel discomfort.

6. Kevin Mahoney

Public Service
    That is a great comparison between the comfort zone and our "happy places". Do you think a metric could be used to create a balance between being in our happy places and yet leaving enough time to push ourselves beyond the comfort zone? Like a "cheat day" for dieters.

7. Angie Necole

Angie Necole Advisor Member

I love this topic! I was forced (so to speak) out of my comfort zone in university and this has changed me life. I see the beauty, the magic, and the shift within when you move out of that comfort zone. It's funny because it's initially uncomfortable, but once you get into the swing of things, you make peace with that discomfort and your comfort zone broadens.

I don't know about anyone else, but I crave moving out of my comfort zone. I can't stay in one place for too long as I don't want to continue growing.

8. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    “You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone; change begins at the end of your comfort zone.” Roy. T. Bennet

I like this quote from Roy T. Bennet because personal growth comes from change and stepping outside your comfort zone.

It is certainly true that in order to grow one has to step outside of their comfort zone but I also believe that growth can come from within your comfort zone. I have a history of suffering from severe anxiety and existed in a permanent fight-or-flight state. It was exhausting! During this time and particularly when I was developing strategies to manage it without medication, I found that I needed to stay within my comfort zone because it was too taxing on my nervous system to go outside of it. It was all about establishing a state of calm and balance and for me during this period, it could only really happen within my comfort zone. I have now moved on from this period in my life and once again enjoy stepping outside of my comfort zone but I still enjoy the comfort that comes from being within it! I guess it's all about finding a balance between stepping out and staying within our comfort zone. ;)

9. Plokoon111

Plokoon111 Member

I can feel your pain about being in a permanent fight or flight response, during a busy part if my life going to temple university, working and other things it was so bad I had to drop out, chest pain, strange anxiety symptoms. But now its turning around.

Kevin Mahoney likes this.
  10. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    I'm so happy to hear that life has turned around for you now. One thing I have learnt from my own personal experiences is not to push myself too much, stress is so harmful to our mental and physical health and best to avoid wherever possible. Thanks for sharing your experience with me. :)

Kevin Mahoney likes this.
  11. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    Seeking a better life/experience and wanting to avoid regret from not braving the unknown makes me sometimes leave my comfort zone.

12. Accipiter82

Accipiter82 Member

13. WildEu

WildEu New Member

To be quite frank.

Fear motivates me. I have always affraid that, would not get enough money, or affraid that i will loose opportunity for something.

14. Plokoon111

Plokoon111 Member

That is true; fear is a motivation that you don't realize but is something most people live by.

15. Tj Hines

Tj Hines New Member

Real Estate Investor | Blogger |Mentor
    Fear of not living the life I know that is meant for me and my family. There is no such thing as having comfort in personal growth. If you're not growing in life then you're too damn comfortable.

The only people that seek personal growth on a consistent basis are always stepping out of their comfort zone. If you are looking for comfort that's not hard to find. Simply roll out of bed every morning and turn on the T.V. from sun up to sun down with a bag doritos and a 2 liter coke. Truth.

In order to live up to your full potential and tap into your God given abilites you must have the desire to experience new things. This will allow you to learn more about yourself. This is the only way bring forth our hidden talents that are already inside of us. But you would never know if you decide to always do whats comfortable ... oh oh I'm sorry I mean easy.