What Are Your Best Systems?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Jonnydark, Jul 7, 2017. Replies: 3 | Views: 203

1. Jonnydark

Jonnydark Member

Hi! My name is Jonathan. I'm new to the forum. It's nice to know so many people are working so hard to better themselves. This seems like such a positive environment for change. Thanks for reading this thread and I hope you add to it.

Okay, so I have read a few books lately that all at once seemed to land upon the topic of "Systems". These would be processes either purposely or accidentally in place that produce a result. The idea being that a system is neutral. It will just produce what it is optimized to produce. To discover what a system is optimized to do just look at the result.

I have reviewed my life and determined I'd like to eat healthier. I always ate junk food as I listened to podcasts on Mondays and Thursdays and I wanted to change that. What I realized was that my system for having snack food was optimized for chips and ginger ale and not radishes and water. I LIKE radishes and water... so I worked backwards... I was not buying radishes at the grocery store because I didn't make it a priority while the grocery store was open. By podcast time at 9:00pm the only store nearby that was open was a convenience store. So I would go there. So I changed my system... I made a point to go to the grocery store and buy lots of vegetables that would keep that I could snack on. Lo and behold, this week when I went to listen to podcasts I had fresh radishes. It was great! :D I enjoyed the podcast and the radishes so much more than Chips. (And I felt great the next day!)

So my question to you is: What system would you like to pass on that you think will help other people here?

Some prompts to choose from:

What is your most useful system?
    What is your most value creating system?
    What is your most inventive system?
    What is your most positive system?

What is your system for food?
    What is your system for chores?
    What is your system for getting your work done?
    What is your system for bodily health?
    What is your system for relationships?
    What is your system for fun?
    What is your system for life satisfaction?

What is a handy system for (Random activity)?

ndcharles and msuccess like this.

2. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    Hi Johnathan welcome and thanks for your thought provoking post!

I interpret the suggestions you have kindly provided for us as the systems that together, define how we live our lives. I would add that these systems could be interpreted as the various habits that define who we are as a person and how we live our lives.

Upon thinking about the systems I have made a conscious effort to implement in my life the first one that came to mind is my morning yoga practice. Over time I have created the habit of doing yoga first thing in the morning and it has without a doubt improved my mental and physical wellbeing! I have found a wonderful yoga teacher on YouTube who shares her practice with the world so I don't have the stress or inconvenience of having to get up early and rush to make a class, I do whatever I have time for in the comfort of my living room. So I would say that I have created a system whereby I have simplified the process of doing yoga by doing it in my living room and choosing from a selection of classes that suit my time schedules for that day - 10mins, 15mins, 20mins etc. This is a system that fits into my lifestyle and requires little effort (apart from waking up and doing it!) to maintain.

:)

msuccess likes this.
  3. Jonnydark

Jonnydark Member

Hi Dennielle! Thank you for replying to my thread. :)

YouTube Yoga is a fantastic idea! I think I might see if I'd like it. I've never done yoga, but the health and mental benefits are well researched. Would it be okay if you shared the YouTube Channel?

Thank you!

4. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    Hi Johnathan :)

Sure, here is the link to the YouTube channel for Five Parks Yoga https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrtTMWDx4u1dVKMpXNhjwpA . There are around 188 videos to choose from including beginners classes.

I can't recommend Yoga enough, like you said the physical and mental health benefits are well established. I would definitely advice you to establish your own system of Yoga practice into your daily routine, you won't regret it!

Enjoy! ;)