The Importance of Persistence and Perseverance

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Kevin Mahoney, Oct 6, 2017. Replies: 4 | Views: 198

1. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    “Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” Calvin Coolidge

“Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” Julie Andrews

“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” Maya Angelou

I was reflecting this week on the importance of persistence and perseverance in our personal and professional lives. Many factors play a role in helping an individual achieve their goals and gain fulfillment. Growth, successfully overcoming obstacles, and helping others do the same keep us moving and motivated. These elements also validate our past efforts. On the other hand, persistence and perseverance, especially after a long period of time, can drain us of energy and can kill inspiration. Nevertheless, these traits are required to find success. So how do we cultivate persistence and perseverance?

Quotes like the ones above help remind me of the power and importance of persistence and perseverance. As Calvin Coolidge stated, nothing can replace the value of it. What are some quotes and truths that inspire you to persevere?

joy likes this.

2. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    Thanks for the quotes and their authors. Besides the one by Coolidge, I live by the one that persuades us to try, try again if at first we don't succeed. Long ago, I read a quote that says some people give up when they're one step away from success.

3. Ricardo Ortiz

Ricardo Ortiz Advisor Member

Clinical Psychotherapist
    There are many quotes from Jim Rohn that I like best but on the topic of persistence and perseverance I believe that most growth in life is when pain is the greatest. For instance, when you go to the gym most think that the 12 reps of the exercise will help you grow but in reality it’s actually the last 2 to 3 steps that you do that create growth. For instance, the 13, 14, and 15 rep where pain is high. How do i relate to this because most growth happens if we are persistent and not stop when pain occurs. We must persevere regardless of the pain. The sad part about this is many do not grow in life because they stop being persistent at rep 12 and do not push themselves more.
    Good quotes.

Ricardo
    www.newbetterliving.com

joy likes this.
  4. joy

joy New Member

blogger
    i really like how you broken this down on persistence and perseverance and how you compared it with exercise.

5. Ry!

Ry! Member

That quote from Calvin Coolidge really spoke to me. I've lately noticed that it doesn't matter how smart or clever you are if you don't put in some work, it might not be a huge amount of work, but some amount of work over the long term.