The Best Habit that you can have is?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by lifetherightway, Jul 30, 2016. Replies: 12 | Views: 574

1. lifetherightway

lifetherightway Advisor Member

There are many habits in our daily lives and I wanted to see what would people say about this..

I'm curious, but what I believe the greatest habit is to read books (especially non-fiction).

Reading books is getting knowledge (potential power) to solve problems that you have.

Think about this books are made by people to help those who had the same problems as them.

Books were made by people to record the solutions they found to the problems they had.

Life has been lived for more than hundreds of years.. so there are thousands of books made by people who had the same type of problem you are having and they found the solution.

So try adding reading to your daily lives so that you can grow smarter and better.

What do you think is the best habit you could have in your life? (if you don't think there is a "BEST" one, then what habits are essential?)

Answer below please and have a great day!

Cheers,
    Mike Kaya from LifeTheRightWay

jmlane likes this.

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Senior Member

Entrepreneur
    Reading is one of my daily habits too!

lifetherightway likes this.
  3. jmlane

jmlane Member

I find it difficult to pinpoint a particular habit that is the best, as there are a few that I think everyone should incorporate as part of the day-to-day routine.

Firstly, I agree with you on books, I prefer non-fiction books, but am sure reading fiction has a little bit of value. I used to work in a library so got instant access to a wide range of topics - things that I wouldn't even think about getting a book on. Sometimes I would just see a cover that looked interesting, take it home and start reading, where I learnt something new. Books are a great habit to adopt as they can be carried and done anywhere and can be used to fill spaces of time and provide mental stimulation.

I also think getting in the habit of continuous learning is important, along with books and the Internet I think it is a good habit to be continuously exploring new opportunities to learn new things, whether this is taking an evening class on doing on the job learning.

Then I also think that everyone should have some sort of health and fitness routine where they take into consideration their capabilities. I would personally recommend anyone to do some sort of exercise - whether it is going to the gym, going for a run or just walking down the road. Keeping active makes you feel good and is a great way of boosting confidence.

Finally I think that goal setting is a good habit to get into. I don't think it is a natural habit that people generally follow (unless they are doing a New Year's resolution). I just think having some sort of goal (or goals) is a good way of setting direction in a persons life and the process of setting goals and regularly reviewing them is a good way of setting what a person actually wants to do with their life.

- James

4. Akaki Tsivadze

Akaki Tsivadze Member

I don't think there is a best habit, but I do think that "open-mindedness" is one of the most important habits you can have. If you are not open to new information, you might end up living the same kind of life for as long as you are here. What can be worse than to live at half capacity. It's hell. Reading books is a great habit and it's tied to open-mindedness because your mind is open to consuming new knowledge and your want to read books shows to you that your Zen mind they call it. A mind of a student. And it is habitual. Everyone who has awareness can shift from being close-minded to being open-minded.

Another way I look at good habits (besides intangible habits like open-mindedness), is by their relevancy to your wishes. What would you like to create in your life? What kind of experience? Do you want adventures? relationships? money? Everything? You can have it all and for that you need to adopt habits that are related to what you wish to create. They will be your stepping stones and will move you closer to your desires day by day. So ultimately there is no best habit or worst habit - it all depends on what you want. It is all relative. Maybe you are not a good reader and a better listener. Than maybe listening to audiobooks would be a better habit for you than reading books.

lifetherightway, msuccess and jmlane like this.
  5. Quest

Quest Coaching Member

Meditation and/or journaling...both of with I don't make time for everyday... strange...

6. Akaki Tsivadze

Akaki Tsivadze Member

If you have too many responsibilities, maybe you should give yourself some break and start doing things you know you want to be doing. Just a thought.

lifetherightway and jmlane like this.
  7. lifetherightway

I agree with you on the goal setting too.

That habit is what sets people apart because it forces you to work on your goals.

Goal setting is a major key to success.

jmlane likes this.
  8. madkhaos

madkhaos Coaching Member

Yes, if you look into the habits of the most successful people you will find things in common like reading... reading a lot. Bill Gates reads 1 hour before bedtime every night as part of his bedtime routine, while others read 2-3 hours a day. Time Management is a great habit to pick up, optimizing your time is crucial to your success. The hardest habit we face is procrastination, you have to get off the couch and take action, any action. Just keep working towards your goals with clarity and focus. Like they say “ Knowledge is only potential power. For the power to be manifested, it must be applied. ” - Robin S. Sharma

9. lifetherightway

Definitely those who are stuck need to understand that you just have to do it!

You have to get started and just do that one thing, and they will get momentum on their side!

Cheers

10. Samuel Rosario

Samuel Rosario Coaching Member

Reading is powerful, actually, reading separates successful people from unsuccessful. Unsuccessful people read an average of 1 book a year, successful people have an average of as high as 60 books a year and for some is even more. Besides reading, I think that Persistence is one of the most powerful habits of successful people. Remember that success is 3% intelligence and 97% persistence.

And also thinking positive is an amazing habit. 85-90% of diseases come from the mind. The mind gets our body sick because of the stress, anxiety, preoccupation, bad thinkings and more. With a stressed mind our immune system goes down and all that attracks diseases.

jmlane likes this.
  11. enigmatik2

enigmatik2 Member

I agree that reading regularly is one of the most important habits to have. Not just reading, but also applying things you read about into your life. Read actively - take notes, highlight, etc so you can review the good stuff later. I have to go back and re-read my good books later, because once I'm on to the next book, I've pretty much forgotten the previous book (but maybe that's just me).

Another good habit is to sit down regularly and review your core beliefs. I think our beliefs determine how we interpret the people and situations in our world, and they are the basis of our actions, which produce all the results in our lives. The problem is, most people just have all these beliefs that were downloaded into them in childhood and have never examined what it is they truly believe and whether or not their beliefs are helping them or hindering them. Beliefs are like this unconscious thing that runs quietly in the background - until we make an effort to sit down, really think about them, and then decide whether we might need to "upgrade" them to something more helpful.

jmlane likes this.
  12. chris peeters

chris peeters New Member

I thnk that the best habits you can establish for yourself if you want to achieve all of your goals in my personal experience is

1-Listen to people like Earl Nightingale, Les Brown, Bob Proctor, Tony Robbins and their audio courses
    2-Read books on your specialty and personal development, Like "The Law of Success" by Napoleon Hill
    "How to win Friends and Influence people" -Dale Carengie- . "The 7 Habits of Highly effective people" Stephen Covey and more
    3- Take at least 2 hours a day to sit down and come up with ideas for increasing your services to others in the field of work that you are in, by doing this you automatically insure that you will get more results and rewards.. ."As ye sow so shall ye reap"
    4-Make sure you practice the habit of integrity and being honest with people and never engage in any transaction or behaviors that would bring up questions about the morality and truth of your character
    5-The more you do for others, the more your worth increases and that means your income increases.

jmlane likes this.
  13. Lisa Peters

Lisa Peters New Member

For me the best habit has turned out to be my habit of 'eating the frog' every morning. Whenever I go over my list of things to do for that day, I pick the one thing that seems the hardest, or the thing that I don't feel like doing the most, and I just get up and do it first. After that, I've always noticed that my day goes by easier and less stressfully when I don't have that dreaded task hanging over my head the whole morning. That has really done wonders for my productivity and stress levels.

Quest likes this.