The 4-Hour Work Week

Discussion in 'Career and Business' started by Dustin Carabello, Jun 14, 2016. Replies: 15 | Views: 1090

1. Dustin Carabello

Dustin Carabello Advisor Member

Entrepreneur
    I've just purchased The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss. I've heard outstanding reviews and the first couple chapters already having me hooked. Anybody read this book? If so, what did you think? I'm going to review it when I'm finished!

Attached Files:

Todd Hicks likes this.

2. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    It's wonderful that you review books you read. Authors need reviews, especially good ones.

3. Dustin Carabello

Entrepreneur
    I love being able to share my experience.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Todd Hicks likes this.
  4. Cynthia

Cynthia Senior Member

Entrepreneur
    Yes, I read it. There are many valuable insights.

Todd Hicks likes this.
  5. Dustin Carabello

Entrepreneur
    I'm loving it so far!

Todd Hicks likes this.
  6. brokenblade

brokenblade Coaching Member

Writer
    I haven't read this book yet, but I am interested.

Todd Hicks likes this.
  7. Dustin Carabello

Entrepreneur
    So far it's incredible. There are "comfort challenges" that take you outside of your comfort zone and force you to do things that you didn't even know that were holding you back. It really broadens your horizons.

Todd Hicks likes this.
  8. Zeke

Zeke Member

I had it on audio book and probably listened to it three times. I might have to go back through it again lol. So much info

Todd Hicks likes this.
  9. Debby Germino

Debby Germino New Member

I read this book a year ago and it has changed my life. I don't mean this in the dramatic way that most people throw around this phrase mean. I mean it has changed my life in the sense that is has altered my perspective on what living a happy and meaningful life looks like. It has opened my eyes to new opportunities and new ways of growing. An example of this is that I used to always say I wish I could be a professional student. I always just loved learning and thought it would be so great to be able to go to college and earn degrees in multiple disciplines. I never thought it was something I could actually do since it would require paying thousands of dollars in college tuition. It never occurred to me that the internet provides education and learning in any topic you can dream of. And often you can find courses for free or nominal fees. This discovery led to me taking a couple of online courses for fun that I did in my free time. This led me learning how to be more productive and effective at work which led to me having more free time and slowly pursuing other streams of income, which has led me to this forum today. I am fascinated by the human experience and am grateful every day for our ability to better ourselves. The 4 Hour Workweek is essentially a manifesto of this experience of human development and growth. It challenges our traditional ideas of the "good life" and dares us to live our happiest most fulfilled life NOW...not some indeterminate future date set by some arbitrary retirement age.

So while I am still working my "day job", my life has changed because I have gained a new sense of purpose and fulfillment with what I spend my time doing. I have new goals and new aspirations and I am putting into action these ideas that once seemed like impossible dreams. I am living mindfully and enjoying my journey without being fixated on a single distant future goal that once attained will "be my happiness". My happiness is now and I am focused and flexible in retaining it. The book is filled with action plans and ideas on how to achieve passive income, work less hours, work from home, start your own business, etc. There is an abundance of valuable resources and inspirations to get you on your way. But for me, the biggest take away from this book was the change of mind set. The suggestion that we don't have to wait until retirement to be happy and we don't have to make millions to retire early, but that we can instead build a lifestyle career to support our desires to learn and grow and live our dreams today was an absolute game changer for me. That's the true power of an idea and that's what I mean when I say this book changed my life.

I hope it does the same for you.

Dustin Carabello likes this.
  10. Dustin Carabello

Entrepreneur
    It has really opened my eyes to opportunities I never knew existed. As somebody who's already quit their day job, this book really laid the foundation for my future. You're very accurate in your statements!

Debby Germino and Todd Hicks like this.
  11. Timothy Likes

Timothy Likes Member

I think it's a good book for opening your eyes to possibilities that are definitely out there if you have some creativity and grit. HOWEVER, don't believe in some "passive" income stream. It's complete garbage. Making the kind of money that is referred to in the book takes YEARS of sweat and long hours every day. The good part? Once you put forth that initial investment of however many thousands of hours, it can be maintained for you by others. There's the win.

12. Dustin Carabello

Entrepreneur
    I've already set up a passive income stream thanks to this book. If you just do what it tells you, it's pretty easy.

13. Timothy Likes

Timothy Likes Member

The opportunities are out there. However, when I talk about success, I'm talking million dollar businesses, not a side hustle making 50k a year.

Just to clarify my position.

14. Ankit

Ankit New Member

Life is full of opportunities, but it’s so easy to miss them. Are you looking for a new career, a partner, a business idea or more fulfillment in life? Whatever you want, it may already be in front of your eyes without you noticing. Take this awareness test to learn more - http://www.geteternal.com/posts/view/Are-you-missing-opportunities

15. vsteffen

vsteffen New Member

I read the book a few months ago. It's interesting that telecommuting is depicted as some sort of distant nirvana, whereas now- it is almost expected in a lot of workplaces. Great read though! Hope you enjoy.

16. saminfinityillusion

saminfinityillusion New Member

Self-Employed
    I liked the 4 hour work week yet I found rich dad poor dad to be alot better. That booked changed my life.

In my late teens i used to be going out nearly every day getting drunk and spending a fortune, I'm 21 now and I run my own company "Inception Innovations Ltd" and website www.infinityillusion.com

I did a piece similar to the principles of both books check it out at

www.infinityillusion.com/rich-man-poor-man/