"Taking Action" Teachings Are Crap.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
First off I am not saying action is not needed, although some cases things come into our life with little action being taken or from actions taken a while in the past. So I don't have the experience of receiving much without action. Even if that action is a lotto winner buying the ticket, its needed. With that being said...

My point is if we compare side by side action with thought, I would dare to say channeling shifting and shaping our thoughts is the more technical and difficult of the two activities.

Agree? What do you do more, plan out a path or start running the path?

Also we all know action can be taken with out much results. Depending on where a person is in their journey they may need a nudge to just get into motion, for those with a more mindful approach to living this is for you.

Most importantly thought precedes action, meaning every action is the evolution of a thought it was prior. Thought can prepare the path in which you take if you are into the bible this is mentioned a few times first in Exodus 23:23.

Thinking is action and should precede any physical action, just a few minutes of preparing your action path in thought can make a huge difference in the ease you experience on your path while taking action.

Our most powerful human tools and the only true gift we have sole accountability for is the ability to always be able to get in the driving seat of our experience with our thoughts.

Don't let anyone remove your power and send you running blind into a goal. Take a few minutes and prepare your path.

Whats is your experience with the combo of thought and physical action?

Anne

Advisor Member
Whats is your experience with the combo of thought and physical action?
I have had experiences of receiving and experiencing things and desired outcomes without taking any physical action other than imagining, or if you prefer, visualizing, the desired thing, experience, or outcome, clearly and vividly. In some cases there was absolutely nothing I could have done physically. For others it would have been a very complicated affair and if I had been able to contrive to make them happen in the first place, it would never been as effortless and delightful as the way they did. This includes having a person who strongly resembled (both physically and personality wise) the ideal partner I had imagined 3 months earlier turning up on my doorstep one morning.

This doesn't mean that I never take any physical action; I take massive action when I have a clear vision of something I want to create and it involves doing things that float my boat, like writing or programming. This includes studying when my vision requires that I push the envelope on my current capabilities. There is a lot of action but there's not a lot of what could be considered as effort as this is simply me expressing, being, and accomplishing what I want to express, be, and accomplish.

New projects start with an idea. This idea grows until I have a clear vision of the goal. Then I start to "work" on the project with a very basic plan and without necessarily knowing what all the required steps are in advance. The what and the how present themselves along the way in some shape or form sooner or later. My main "job" is to keep my vision clearly in mind, especially if the going gets tough, while I do what I enjoy doing anyway.

In both cases it all starts with an idea or a desire which grows into a vision. Then comes the action. This action can be simply mental (vividly imagining the end result) or it can involve physical action too. But physical action alone without a vision is simply a waste of time and energy.

Here is an extract from the teachings of Neville Goddard on the subject of action:

We have today in our modern world a little word which confuses most of us. I know it confused me until I dug deeper. The word is "action." Action is supposed to be the most fundamental thing in the world. It is not an atom, it is more fundamental. It is not a part of an atom like an electron, it is more fundamental than that. They call it the fourth-dimensional unit. The most fundamental thing in the world is action. You ask, "What is action?" Our physicists tell us that it is energy multiplied by time. We become more confused and say, "Energy multiplied by time, what does that mean?', They answer, "There is no response to a stimulus, no matter how intense the stimulus, unless it endures for a certain length of time." There must be a minimum endurance to the stimulus or there is no response. On the other hand there is no response to time unless there is a minimum degree of intensity. Today the most fundamental thing in the world is called action, or simply energy multiplied by time.
- Neville Goddard, 1948 Lessons Series With Questions and Answers

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
@alexvic I can understand that perspective and in my opinion if someone is just thinking and not able to take action they are not thinking in the correct way. They are a dreamer not a thinker or better yet not a feelier. "Thought focus" that is directed correctly will fill one with the energy to take action.

Action before thought is an old paradigm as well as a trap to keep individuals in poverty as the believe the myth that their is a correlation between hard work and success.

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
Any action takes even the littlest bit of thought before hand. Impossible to do otherwise. What actually works though is taking immediate action on past experience or knowledge known to work. Learn just enough to get going. Then update along the way.

without enough teaching prior to action you will always just keep failing. Learning from our mistakes is the teaching that is required to be successful.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
You make great points Toby it seems like you are on the right track for the process of goal acquisition however for success similar to the teachings I speak of you are glancing over the key components and rushing into "mistakes" (action). It is okay to go out and bump our heads and make corrections but that is not the path I point to.

When correctly priming our path their are no mistakes to make. Clarifying our vision against contrast is "a" route to goals however
Learning from our mistakes is the teaching that is required to be successful.
is not a fact just an opinion.

Success is a stand alone emotion and/or manifestation from the "how it is done" not "what is being done", therefore the old paradigm thats focuses all the intentions of goals, success and even life in general on getting to action without purpose only create mindless behavior with judgment motivation and even worst humans scrambling with diminished awareness.

I invite you to live in your power, the power that transcends the limitations of "immediate action on past experience or knowledge known to work." Once we are in our power all action is good. Without power action is hit or miss in effectiveness even with consistency and adjustments.

I'm going to take it a step further and say that our thoughts WILL color our actions, whether we're aware of our thoughts or not. If we have a deep seated belief that we will fail, then we will take steps based on that assumption, even if we are not aware that we have that assumption.

Looking inwardly and examining our thoughts should always be the first priority.

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
You make great points Toby it seems like you are on the right track for the process of goal acquisition however for success similar to the teachings I speak of you are glancing over the key components and rushing into "mistakes" (action). It is okay to go out and bump our heads and make corrections but that is not the path I point to.
Neither am I. That would be such a waste of time. I said to get just enough learning down to have a reasonable chance at success. Then go. Because you can't plan and think through for every contingency. Nor can you completely learn a skill through visualization alone. I'm surprised you didn't get this.

Which brings us to this misunderstanding as well>
When correctly priming our path their are no mistakes to make. Clarifying our vision against contrast is "a" route to goals however is not a fact just an opinion.
I'm not really even sure what you are trying to say I said there.

Success is a stand alone emotion and/or manifestation from the "how it is done" not "what is being done", therefore the old paradigm thats focuses all the intentions of goals, success and even life in general on getting to action without purpose only create mindless behavior with judgment motivation and even worst humans scrambling with diminished awareness.
That is even more confusing. Success does not have to be that complicated. For example, I have no idea what you mean as a "stand alone emotion". I have never even heard of anyone achieving success alone - if that is what you meant. Nor have I ever heard of someone only having one emotion of success. Success is not an emotion. Emotion is used to achieve it though. And by achieving success we feel certain emotions. But stand alone? That doesn't even make sense. What did you mean by that?

The other part of that about intention creating mindless action is simply way off. How are you going to achieve any goal without the emotion of intention to fuel it? Of course there has to be clarification, precision, and a plan that would work - otherwise it would be mindless. But intention automatically creating mindless behavior seems a bit of stretch.

There is no way to learn so well beforehand that we don't make mistakes. Then if we don't learn from our mistakes we keep repeating them or continuing to make other mistakes.

Learning from our mistakes is the teaching that is required to be successful. Sure seems to be fact not opinion.

Last edited:

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
@Toby Jensen The emotion of success being stand alone means you can feel successful without any external stimulus. Emotions are the first realization of manifestation. We can cultivate any of Many emotions and take that feeling into action.

You mentioned your confusion a few times and you have a really strong argument for the path of making mistakes, thats cool, this teaching toward a different approach may not be for you. I'd suggest you keep doing what works for you my friend and thanks for the contribution to the conversation.

@Bethany Rosselit Thank you! Well said and really simple which was my intention, so much power in this understanding.

@Anne I really resonate with the teachings of Goddard and have seen success in its implementation as well, thank you for bringing him up.

while I do what I enjoy doing anyway.

In both cases it all starts with an idea or a desire which grows into a vision. Then comes the action. This action can be simply mental (vividly imagining the end result) or it can involve physical action too. But physical action alone without a vision is simply a waste of time and energy.
I think your words really set clear the difference between those who focus on the journey and love life versus those who focus on destinations. Nether is right nor wrong however after trying both its easy to see which is more sustainable as far as energy and happiness. Great post.

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
you can feel successful without any external stimulus.

Kind of yes, kind of no. You really can’t recreate a true, complete experience through thought alone. If you could then people would just sit around thinking about boating, sky diving, and skiing without going out and doing it. It is much easier and far less expensive. But people don’t do that. They go out and partake. Part of this is the actual interaction we have with our world around us that can’t be recreated.

On the other hand, we have quite a bit of ability to genuinely visualize activities like boating, sky diving, and skiing. If used to get us to go do them or to learn from our mistakes then this is helpful. But if used to replace the actual activity, as you seem to be suggesting, then it just creates a mental masturbation.

Feeling full, complete success on its own is simply not possible. If it were, and this is where the trouble lies, then we might even lose our desire to achieve it. Not always, but might. That is the danger.

We can cultivate any of Many emotions and take that feeling into action.

That is exactly what I said that you disagreed with before. Learn just enough to have a reasonable chance of success, then go do.

You mentioned your confusion a few times and you have a really strong argument for the path of making mistakes, thats cool

I am not arguing in favor of making mistakes. I don’t think making mistakes are cool at all. I am saying that mistakes are inevitable so if we learn from them we turn them into success. I don’t see what is confusing about that at all.

We actually are saying very similar things but just have a slightly different way of putting it. I am just filling in some of the huge gaps here to clarify things so that everyone can actually follow through on this and have success. The details are incredibly important. If people can’t do from just a positive attitude they get confused, disheartened, and quit. How about a clear path this time?

Kapsoki

Preparing and planning is very necessary. But I think sometimes you can just take actions. Because actions can influence your thoughts. For example, if I'm unhappy, I can just watch a humorous movie and don't think about the problems, then I will become happy. When I was a kid I started to play basketball. Shooting was very difficult for me at that time because I wasn't strong. But I kept shooting for many years. Then I shooted better and better. I could shot 3-point , I could shoot at a very high percentage. I could take the last shot and win the game. And I started to believe I was a very good scorer. So taking actions changed my thoughts in my mind. I have also learned a lot from the experiences.

You can just take actions without too many thoughts. And that is good and effective. Only two problems I want to point out: 1. If it's very risky, I think you should have a very good plan before taking any action. For example, you are going to invest 1 million dollars. 2. Don't take actions that are too difficult for you at the beginning. If I wanted to shoot 3-point every day when I was a kid, that would be a disaster for me.

Yes, thinking ahead is vital. As they say, "before you do something, you have to do something else". I am a great believer that planning carefully each action saves you from failure 99% of the time. However, I often find myself struggling more with actions than thinking. I want everything to be perfect from the first time and as you all know it never does. Actions without thinking at all - nonsens, but overthinking your actions can results in procrastination and never taking the first step at all.

There is even a term for this "Analysis paralysis". Here is wikipedia explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

Now, I tend to plan my actions, then act on the first step as fast as I can, fail, get feedback, modify my approach and try again.

As Albert Einstein once said: "Nothing happens until something moves."

Last edited:

Ethanbridges

Advisor Member
After all the combination of thinking and taking action I've done in the past, I tend to believe what I've heard from a few people: the 20-80 rule. 20% thinking/learning, 80% taking action.

Well, I think personal development is something that's different for everybody. What we experience everyday, or what we learn from coaches we trust, I say should only belong to the 20%. We truly learn when we apply what we've "learned" from that 20%. Mere thinking can be a bait for overthinking. I know this because I am an overthinker.

We should try to beat anxiety, or perfectionism, because I believe we can do as well as without them. There are successful people who proclaim they're perfectionists, but their being perfectionists isn't the reason for their success.

Some people have debated that "failing fast" shouldn't be encouraged. But I think this term is a double-edged sword. We shouldn't fail, much more repeatedly fail, but as someone said here, mistakes or some sorts of failure are inevitable.

I'm finding the 20-80 rule reasonable. But I'm feeling that Mr. Roberson finds it reasonable, too.

Hey guys, thanks for the great discussion.