My Journey to be a better self.

Seize the day. Make the most of it. A day well spent, over a period of time equals life well spent
I have an important exam coming soon and I have to study for it rigorously. I have to reduce number of distractions.
Logically the first step would be to identify the distractions the frequency with which they occur, the precipitating factors and effect of distractions on concentration.
Then the second step would be to target the weakest link in these chain of events and devising a strategy.
The third step would be to track the progress, scrutinize and modify according to the changing demands and scenarios.

My ultimate goals are:

A. Sit and study for long hours, pass my exams.
B. To develop self-discipline.
C. To develop self-confidence.
Breaking it into smaller objectives :
1. Keep phone, laptop away during study period.
2. Sleep early, get atleast 7-8 hours of sleep.
3. Stop watching TV Series before I sleep or while I'm lying down to sleep.
4. Wake up early, have a morning routine and follow it sincerely.
So I'm gonna come here every night, before I go to bed, looking at my day, recording significant events and analyzing them in a hope that this ultimately help me score well, be disciplined and have healthy self-esteem.

(2310 Hours IST)
Day 01
The first baby step of this journey.
I went to library to study. Soon I was bored and took out my phone to listen some songs. But I spent way too much time listening to songs and watching Youtube videos.
I had a target of chapters to finish before I returned to home but because of the songs I could study only half of them. So tomorrow when I go,

a. I'll keep the phone away from my study table.
b. If I get bored I'll change the subject and continue with my studies.
c. I have to clock at least 8 hours of study period out of which min 80% should be quality study.

-Neo

(2313 Hours IST)
Day 02
I started my day pretty well. I woke up, finished my morning rituals quickly and wrote down my targets for today.
Then went to library and studied continuously for 4 hours till 1pm. Then I came home to have lunch. I started watching FRIENDS hoping I'd see till I finish eating but I binge watched 6 episodes..
By the time I settled into library it was evening. I was not feeling like studying. So I opened my Facebook and saw posts by my Ex-Girlfriend. That brought back those nostalgic memories. God I miss her and her comforting words whenever I had doubts about myself.
Of the six targets I set this morning, I could complete only three.
To summarize,

• Don't start FRIENDS thinking you'd just watch it till you complete eating your food.
  • Don't browse News-feed in Facebook. You might run into your Ex's posts and that can distract you.
  • Until you complete set targets, do not go online. Not even to look up the doubts. Write them and look afterwards.

-Neo

DreamLifeRules

Advisor Member
(2310 Hours IST)
Day 01
The first baby step of this journey.
I went to library to study. Soon I was bored and took out my phone to listen some songs. But I spent way too much time listening to songs and watching Youtube videos.
I had a target of chapters to finish before I returned to home but because of the songs I could study only half of them. So tomorrow when I go,

a. I'll keep the phone away from my study table.
b. If I get bored I'll change the subject and continue with my studies.
c. I have to clock at least 8 hours of study period out of which min 80% should be quality study.

-Neo
Try app called, Pomodoro - it´s great because you set a timer hen you just do the work, nothing else, and when times rings, you could check Facebook, you could go to the toilet, you could eat and do anything you want in that period.
You´ll set timer on any time you want, but don´t set it too long firstly, because as your first day, you got bored, you´ll feel overwhelmed, and suddenly you´ll not get work done.
So my suggestion is make little breaks, but when timer rings and break is over, go immediately back to work.
Even Elon Musk use that type of working. He always do little breaks, where he can rest, and I think that man doing well.:)
Good luck in your exam.

Try app called, Pomodoro - it´s great because you set a timer hen you just do the work, nothing else, and when times rings, you could check Facebook, you could go to the toilet, you could eat and do anything you want in that period.
You´ll set timer on any time you want, but don´t set it too long firstly, because as your first day, you got bored, you´ll feel overwhelmed, and suddenly you´ll not get work done.
So my suggestion is make little breaks, but when timer rings and break is over, go immediately back to work.
Even Elon Musk use that type of working. He always do little breaks, where he can rest, and I think that man doing well.:)
Good luck in your exam.
Hey DreamLifeRules,
Thanks dude. I appreciate you taking time and suggesting me.
Yes I have used it once. I was originally a kitchen timer. The science behind it is real though.
I'll try it from tomorrow.
once again thanks dude. I appreciate it.
:)

(2256 Hours IST)
Day 03
My day was okay-ish. I stopped binge watching Bings haha. But "Best Chandler moments" crept-up in Youtube. I have to control that too. I got a new Feature phone today that only lets me talk on phone. There's no internet connection. So I think my efficiency will improve from tomorrow.
On study aspects, I'm doing good. Scores in the mock-test I wrote is improving.
Just hope I improve consistently and before exams I'm on positive side of performance.

-Neo

DreamLifeRules

Advisor Member
Hey DreamLifeRules,
Thanks dude. I appreciate you taking time and suggesting me.
Yes I have used it once. I was originally a kitchen timer. The science behind it is real though.
I'll try it from tomorrow.
once again thanks dude. I appreciate it.
:)
You´re welcome, keep posting, I am sure you´ll improve your studying performance.

(2300 Hours IST)
Day 04
I wrote another mock exam today. The results were predictable. I did some silly mistakes. I looked up all the questions, their explainations and identified the areas I'm lacking. From tomorrow I'm gonna concentrate on them. Though I wasted some time in evening I compensated them in morning rigorous study session. But I shouldn't be giving excuses so I will reduce these time wasting activities.

-Neo

(2320 Hours IST)
Day 05
My day went really well today. I studies well in morning as well as in evening. But in afternoon I took a nap which became full-blown sleep. Other than that the day went really well.
But the speed of studying hasn't improved. Have to increase the speed as well as the efficiency.
Instead of studying same subject whole day I'll study two or three. In that way I can maintain variety, spice things up and not get bored. I'll follow that tomorrow.

-Neo

MoreSuccess

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on the good day, I'm enjoying your posts. I have to be careful with speeding things up too much, my absorption goes down. Often I'm having to slow myself down as I have a tendency to want to skim through material. Sometimes I ask myself if I could explain to someone else what I just read, and if not then I need to slow down and lock in the understanding even if it means re-reading it. Adding variety seems like a good plan.

DreamLifeRules

Advisor Member
(2320 Hours IST)
Day 05
My day went really well today. I studies well in morning as well as in evening. But in afternoon I took a nap which became full-blown sleep. Other than that the day went really well.
But the speed of studying hasn't improved. Have to increase the speed as well as the efficiency.
Instead of studying same subject whole day I'll study two or three. In that way I can maintain variety, spice things up and not get bored. I'll follow that tomorrow.

-Neo
I am happy for your improving. I like variety of subjects you study, to avoid getting bored. I think you could speed up your learning by learning first subject in the morning, another in the afternoon, and last in the evening. Napping in the afternoon is great way to increase your energy, but it shouldn´t last more then 30 minutes, because then, you could feel sleepy, and it takes you more time to start studying.

I am happy for your improving. I like variety of subjects you study, to avoid getting bored. I think you could speed up your learning by learning first subject in the morning, another in the afternoon, and last in the evening. Napping in the afternoon is great way to increase your energy, but it shouldn´t last more then 30 minutes, because then, you could feel sleepy, and it takes you more time to start studying.
Yes. Exactly. Some time ago, in one of the tests I found out that I was weak in one particular subject. So I decided to dedicate first one to two hours of my day to that subject. I did this for quite sometime. And you know what, other subjects remained more or less at same level while this one became one of the strongest subject. I have two three difficult ones now. I should do it again.
Thanks again dude. I'm really glad you took time to reply.
I appreciate it. :):)

(0943 Hours IST)
Day 11
I had busy weekends and on Monday and Tuesday I had to go to a family gathering so I couldn't study. Wednesday and Thursday I studied well. I clocked at 7 hours on Wednesday and 8 hours on Thursday. I wrote an exam on Wednesday and result was promising (and not same as previous one). As I had thought, I'm studying one subject daily and I'm gaining confidence about it. The real benefit would show up if I wrote test and I intend to write after 10 days.
I also have to strictly follow the To-Do list and achieve them. I am studying but it's aimless right now. Only when I look at the big picture, divide it as smaller targets and achieve them consistently that I'm gonna get to that ultimate goal. So in coming days I'm gonna prepare a realistic yet challenging To-Do list and try to achieve maximum I can.
Hope I succeed.

-Neo