I Hate Canker Sores

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AmazingP, Sep 28, 2011. Replies: 14 | Views: 5444

1. AmazingP

AmazingP Advisor Member

I really, really, really hate canker sores – and that is just an understatement to say the least. When I have it, my appetite is automatically gone with the wind and I could not normally use my mouth in speaking.

Today, I have two painful mouth ulcers. And even when I am posting this thread I am really in pain…ouch! I have been afflicted with this problem since I was just a child and it got this from time to time.

Do you know of a good cure for canker sores?

2. ven13

ven13 New Member

Cankers are brutal. I would get some really bad ones but I don't get many anymore. I found some good remedies but some may work for you and some may not. You can try rinsing with salt water or making a baking soda paste with water and applying that to the sore. Other ways how to get rid of canker sores are milk of magnesia and acidophilus. Acidophilus is found in yogurt and the such and you can buy it in pill forum. It should boost the immune system and shorten the healing time. You may also want to try brushing your teeth with a new toothpaste. A lot of toothpaste contains SLS which can dry the mouth and cause canker sores. There are many SLS free toothpastes available. But, if the canker sores are really bad just see a doc and hopefully they can recommend a good medicine.

3. zararina

zararina Coaching Member

I used to have mouth ulcer when I was younger and good thing I would not have any of it recently. I must admit that I just let be cured by itself before but when it seems a worse one, I gargle with salt solution. I have not tried any other way to cure it.

4. jasserdev

jasserdev New Member

I get those evil things every month or so and they are miserable. The last one became a centimeter (half inch) long in the back of my throat making it feel like I had strep throat or a really bad cold for weeks. For me, stress seems to be a good contributor so if I am not getting enough sleep, I am setting myself up for pain. I don't use the word cure because cures are so rare, but I use a product called Zilactin to cover them when it is possible and this stuff is pretty decent at forming a protecting skin that allows some healing to occur underneath.

5. Jessi

Jessi Member

Ugh, I hate them too. The way I deal with them is by using salt. I apply salt directly to the sore, but you could just switch salt water, too. Yes, it burns like crazy and is extremely painful....for about 3 seconds. Then it numbs it and feels wonderful for quite a while. It's a natural pain killer and also sanitizes the area so it'll heal faster.

6. jasserdev

jasserdev New Member

Ouch, sounds masochistic to me. When I have a canker sore for more than a week, pouring salt on it every 30 minutes as the pain wears off would be something I wouldn't tolerate very well, that is for certain. I do agree with the salt rinses too just to reduce the infection risks.

7. Jessi

Jessi Member

Oh not every 30 minutes. That wouldn't be worth it at all. It works for me for hours and a lot better than popping advil or something does because it numbs that area specifically. I do salt water gargles when I have really swollen/painful tonsils or sore throat. It doesn't feel that great for the initial few seconds, but honestly, when I'm in that much pain anyway, it can't get much worse and the relief is so worth it.

8. Corwin

Corwin New Member

Aerospace Engineer
    I have struggled with Canker Sores for YEARS. I know exactly what you are going through. They are torture. I know they are the result of stress, just like many other sources of pain in our bodies, but there is only so much I can do to reduce stress in my life. And I found it unbelievable that there were no decent medical treatments to help cure these buggers.

Then a couple years back I was visiting a new dentist, and I was telling her about my Canker sore dilemma (I guess she asked me if I had any other problems with my mouth in general). I told her I used Zilactin B, which I still believe is the best solution for numbing and covering Canker sores. But that didn't help them heal any faster. In fact, at times it seemed to make them heal SLOWER, perhaps because they were numbed I was aggravating them even more.

But she had just gotten out of dental school and had heard about something there that would change everything. There is a medication called "Triamcinolone Acetonide" dental paste. It is essentially a topical steroidal paste that you put on right before you go to bed (and it doesn't taste super great when you wake up), and it heals your Canker Sores in 2 to 3 days instead of 10. And not only that, after I apply this stuff, it seems to keep other Canker sores from forming for a while. It's fantastic. I can't recommend it highly enough.

No other dentist since her has known about this medication, so don’t expect your dentist to. Just ask them for a prescription, and odds are they will have no problem doing so.

9. rojersequaria

rojersequaria New Member

Try cheese, sauerkraut, sour cream etc. and use black tea in daily schedule and clean the sore with, than for some time hold the tea container in your mouth.

10. Corwin

Corwin New Member

Aerospace Engineer
    Since I last posted, I have come up with by far the best solution to Canker Sores. Vitamin B-12. I found an article describing a study done in 2009 (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090210092732.htm) with B-12 as a means of reducing canker sore occurrence and intensity. So I gave it a whirl, taking 1000 Mg / day (I prefer the Nature Made softgels), and I saw TREMENDOUS improvement in my canker sores. Especially if I was disciplined and took it every day at the same time, with food (to increase absorption). I still got a few every once in a while though, so I increased to 2000 mg/day (just took two instead of one), and that pretty much eliminated them. Highly recommend!

11. Markopolo

Markopolo New Member

The best solution for me has been to gargle and keep the liquid in my mouth for at least one or two minutes and around all sores areas using disolved vitamin B12 pills. Use a high potency solution with about 10.000 micro grams ( 10 mg) in half a cup of water. After 7 months of trying almost everything, this proved to be almost magical.
    You can get sublingual cherry flavored B12 pills at Costco and most pharmacies in 1000 and 2500 microgram sizes.

12. J E Roberson

J E Roberson Senior Advisor

Spiritual/Personal Growth Advocate
    Hello @amazing P. I have not experienced this however from what I know this challenge like all physical challenges has a spiritual underlying meaning I'd like to share.

Having the manifested problem of canker sores may reflect problems with receiving, or an unspoken complaint.
    The grievances we have about the level of nurturing coming to us are actually self-judgments or judgments against others.
    We are trying to hold back from communication for fear of attacking.

If this root cause of the problem resonates with anyone the answer can be found in forgiveness and trust exercises.

I suggest using some of the above suggestions as a temporary fix being it is easier to eliminate a problem when it isn't in your face, no pun intend, then take on the root cause. Change the root change the fruit.

Blessings

13. Sweetnspiceeee

Sweetnspiceeee New Member

I have been dealing with a quite nasty one just to the left of the tip of my tongue, going just under. Salt water helped. Orajel burned it at first, but help numb it. Ibuprofen for swelling. And today, I ready honey would fight it. Reports day 73% of people lose pain after first day and it takes just a few days to heal. Crossing fingers. Will update. P.S. Yes it burns as well. But, honey, is also a natural antibiotic.

14. JeremyTheHelper

JeremyTheHelper New Member

Ok, Ive been getting canker sores since I was a small kid, I am 25years old now, Ive tried all the treatments from orajel to salt water. Now, I barely tried something new a year ago, I get canker sores on a regular basis I would have to say about every two months or so sometimes even sooner. My canker sores usually appear on the tip of my tongue and are very painful and annoying. Anyways about the treatment, ok so what Ive been doing is an overnight guranteed to get rid of it solution. This is what I do and I recommend anyone who encounters painful canker sores to try. You will only need some table salt and some Q-tips, first use a dry Q-tip to dry off the canker sore completely dry the affected area, then with the other Q-tip wet the Q-tip with a little bit of water just enough so you can pick up some salt then roll the salt over the dried canker sore area. Keep your tongue or wherever the sore is dry or at least try to keep it from getting wet I know you might look silly for a bit but trust me this works for me 100% of the time. This is going to burn, now I keep the salt on the canker sore for at least 1minute or until you cannot take the pain anymore. If you do not think you did a full minute you can try again. After you have left the salt on the canker sore for the minute just rinse the affected area with some warm water, I usually do this before bed after I brush my teeth so that I dont irritate the sore further. In the morning when I wake up its gone. This method works for me 100% of the time. I hope it helps anyone who suffers from these canker sores. Thank you for taking the time to read my home remedy. And please if this does work for anyone else out there let me know.

15. madkhaos

madkhaos Coaching Member

I heard mixing apple cider vinegar and warm water, then gargle with it daily will speed up the healing process. Apple cider vinegar works wonders in itself for many different reasons, its powerful stuff. Especially for fighting off bad bacteria and sores, good luck! (y)