Health vs Looking good

Ry!

So I'm currently doing the 5/2 diet, meaning I eat only dinner or lunch on two days of the week and eat normally otherwise. I'm personally doing this to cut out the last few kgs to drop my fat percentage, so muscles show up better, especially a sixpack. However I'm aware that lets say the 16-18% fat percentage, where I'm currently hovering, would be optimal for long term health and quite a lot easier to maintain.

I'm interested in hearing how you see this subject and what you are trying to do personally, both as a goal and as a method of reaching said goal.

I've never heard of being in the 16-18% body fat range for optimal long-term health. Can you share where you got that from? I'm curious about it.

I think the main thing you should focus on is how you feel - both physically and mentally. Do you feel great under your current diet and weight? If so, keep at it! If not, figure out if you need to tweak things a bit. The same with the mental aspect of it - you're interested in getting a six-pack, so that will play into what you do as well. It'll be a balance for both things, as you mentioned. You need to decide what you want to focus on the most at this time. It'll probably change depending on how you feel on either side of the coin.

I can't provide much more help than that, since my goals for this are different. As someone who has lost nearly 100 pounds (45 kilograms) in the past couple of years, I really focused solely on my health to get down to this weight. I didn't want to get into my 40s being morbidly obese. I was already starting to feel a lot of negative effects to being as overweight as I was (having no energy for anything during the day, low self-esteem, weird pains in different parts of my body for no reason, etc.). I didn't really care if I looked great - I just wanted to make sure I would be healthy as I aged.