Destroy Your Limiting Beliefs

Discussion in 'Positive Discussion' started by Scott Haug, May 23, 2016. Replies: 11 | Views: 733

?

What limiting beliefs so you have?

1. I lack money and it seems impossible to be financial free.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. My cirumstances are holding me back from changing.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I have no idea how to live my dream.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I have none. I am limitless!

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Scott Haug

Scott Haug Member

Author, Speaker, Personal Development Coach
    Our beliefs about what is possible often run our life. But I want to DESTROY those beliefs and change our attitude about the limitless possibilities we all have.

Our limiting beliefs are usually thrown into our sub-conscience mind when we are young in the adolescence age. Family, friends, and our environment play a key role in the beliefs we currently hold. What does that tell us? What we believe to be true right now is what everyone else told you was true...

Most times, our family and closest friends do this unintentionally, because they are only aware of what they believe to be true. I want you to think about these three topics:
    1. Everything in the world is limitless: The trees, the air we breathe, vast amounts of water... because energy is infinite. If energy is neither created nor destroyed, how would we ever run out of "stuff" on this planet? Therefore, the only "limiting factors" in the world is in our minds.
    2. How do we change our beliefs? By acting and thinking like the person we want to become. You want to be the best motivational speaker in the world? Then start acting like it. Your self-confidence will rise, and therefore SMASH your limiting beliefs within your mind. Produce results that stick, and your beliefs will change.
    3. Increase your awareness to change your beliefs. By becoming more aware, you understand your true potential. Increase your awareness through reading books, watching personal development videos, listening to audios, learning from a mentor...
    You have infinite potential within you. Destroy your beliefs and change your thinking patterns. It will change your life!

---> What limiting beliefs do you have? Write them down below!

RodaTL, Inspir8tion, Quest and 3 others like this.

2. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    I guess my limiting belief is I kind of doubt I will ever find a real steady job and move out on my own.

Quest and Scott Haug like this.
  3. Kezzielee

Kezzielee Member

Writer, Blogger
    this is such a great topic. shining the light on what holds us back is the first step in killing those little destroyers! gosh so now i sit and im trying to think of what my limiting beliefs are.....they are rather cunning arent they ! i think the one i am battling with right now is the belief that i can have my business support me and my family.

my parents worked themselves (and still are) to the bone and they taught us that is what life is. you get a job a job and work to make someone elses business a success your whole life and then retire at the age of 60 with barely any money. i hate this plan. but because it was such a way of life for us i think deep down i question if i can really make my own business work and quit my horrible day job. hmmmm tha nk you for this post it really has made me think about destroying this pattern once and for all!

Ahmed Hesham, Quest and Scott Haug like this.
  4. Nas

Nas Senior Member

Me too I have made this mistake to believe that I was condamned to work for money, get a family and get a kids who repeat the same mistakes of me, on in on...
    A day when I get out of my bed and I decided to improve my life: I got a plan and I apply everyday. Also I have realized that I believed impossible in my life, then my belief system have changed.
    If I have realized it, I can improve again.
    It's the same for you ;-)

musahasan and Scott Haug like this.
  5. musahasan

musahasan Member

Business
    It is really very bad practice to limit our belief. It is very important to keep our belief high always because without believing our self strongly we lose our value every where. So we should consciously step out that we may keep our belief stronger. Thanks for nice article.

Quest likes this.
  6. Patrick

Patrick New Member

After all this time I had never actually written down my limiting beliefs! I generally think that I am fairly open with regard to my limitations (or lack there of). Something that really hit home here is how the people closest to you can really play the devils advocate (albiet unintentionally) and lead you to believing you have limits.

7. Ahmed Hesham

Ahmed Hesham Member

Civil Engineering & Online Marketing
    Great topic Scott Haug.
    I just bought The Law Of Attraction Shortcut Secrets by Maria Mcmahon, and it's a great book talking about how to change your mindset consciously $ subconsciously.
    I really like the topics of law of attraction & NLP.

8. AchievingAwesome

AchievingAwesome New Member

VLOG and run internet business.
    I like tip number 3, increase awareness. I find it is important to look at different materials in self-development, but I also think it is important through these materials to develop a high sense of self awareness on what direction your life is going in. Everyone has blindspots, and you can increase your quality of life by removing as many of them and implementing the change needed as fast as possible. Great post Scott!

9. Inspir8tion

Inspir8tion Member

Great topic. I really think tip 2 and 3 are so important. You have to play the part you want, it all has to do with believing in yourself. Recognizing what behaviors that have hinder your growth and making a good effort to outgrow them.

10. RodaTL

RodaTL Advisor Member

Confidence coach, entrepreneur, registered nurse
    Once you realize you have limiting beliefs, it is only a matter of taking action. That's the second impediment to freedom next to limiting beliefs. Yet, being scared to take action at least puts you one step closer to your dream as you have finally realized you need to do something. It is impossible to make any progress if you are not willing to accept that your beliefs are limiting you from unleashing your potential. I think this is the biggest challenge for most coaches, even if a student has voluntarily approached the coach for guidance.

Ahmed Hesham likes this.
  11. Corey Dawson

Corey Dawson New Member

I was thinking back at some of the things I have tried in my life that I would never have considered because I told myself "I wasn't good enough".

We grow up with sets of rules in our minds about who we are, what we can do and what we can't or shouldn't do. This builds a personal structure of beliefs that is unique to you, and builds up a picture of a reality that is also unique to you.

It's all an illusion.

Reality isn't fixed, it changes consistently. And despite what some may say or believe, it's a good thing.

You've got to keep moving forward.

But here's the danger...

Taking those self-limiting beliefs with you!

These beliefs are stopping us from becoming something that we could be! We have to change our mindset.

If you can identify your limiting beliefs, you can change them for the better!

That reminds me of two quotes...

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford (Ford Motor Company)

"Never be discouraged, never hold back, give everything you got, and when you fall throughout life, remember this, fall forward" - Denzel Washington (Actor)

These quotes remind us that our attitudes determine our future. If we continue to allow our limiting beliefs determine who we are, we are doomed to see the same negative results.

So how do we grow?

Well, we say to ourselves that we can do whatever we want to do. We really CAN!

I remember when that little voice said to me "I wasn't good enough". But I simply replied, "I'm just as capable as anybody else!".

I proved it to myself that I can do whatever I want in my life, and you can do the same.

The power of the Growth mindset!

12. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Life Coach
    Many people argue change is difficult, but in reality, it's easy... if you know how.
    Here's a link to a fantastic YouTube video by Marisa Peer (a very competent & published)
    therapist on how to use your mind:

She mentions 4 little known hacks, that when practiced can produce rapid change. They are

1. Your Mind will always try to give you exactly, specifically what it thinks you want.
    2. How you feel at any time depends on the images you hold in your head and the words you use.
    3. You mind is hard-wired to move away from pain and towards pleasure.
    4. Your mind loves what's familiar and resists the unfamiliar.

This knowledge has deeply benefitted me when I practiced it. Highly recommended video.