Are we slaves of electronic gadgets?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by IsabelleChan, Aug 26, 2012. Replies: 27 | Views: 4657

1. marlinealcott

marlinealcott Member

I'm definitely not a slave to gadgets. I don't even have a phone. I am on my computer often, but I don't bring it places with me when I go out and I certainly wouldn't be on it while socializing with others. You've got to have standards with people. If someone is rude to me, sitting there on their phone when I'm trying to talk to them, I won't be hanging out with them again, period. No one really does that to me because I pick my friends carefully. The more people allow this type of behavior to go on, the more it will be thought of as acceptable in our society. You have to create the change you want to see in the world by making these rude, phone-addicted people aware that they have a problem and that it isn't okay.

2. Forrester080

Forrester080 New Member

This is a very common habit of people nowadays. Somebody just can sit with their families and friends whiling starring at the phone screen looking at the... clock or nothing at all. If you can see it, you have to protect yourself so as not to get into such a ridiculous habit.

Spend your free time doing something outdoor like playing sports, learning musics or reading books. Those are sure things that will enrich your life. Erhmmm, reading book on a cellphone in your free time is great too. I mean it's just the way you practice yourself to put those tools into good use instead of getting addicted to them for nothing.

3. Carmen Loody

Carmen Loody New Member

It is not wrong if we use electronic gadgets but we should put it in place, if we have some conversation, better to avoid using them and set them aside, it can distract not only to our attention but also to other people which they may think we are not serious.

4. kai_uk

kai_uk Member

Yes we are! And the people that are benefiting the most are our employers. They can reach us at any time of the day, and even when we are abroad we are expect to check our emails (some of us anyway). They can call us outside of office hours and text us, and they think this is ok. What happened to working 9-5? Now its like be there 9-5 and continue elsewhere when needed :(

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Advisor Member

Web Developer & Content Writer.
    Gadgets are necessary for today's living, but whether we recognize or not a degree of slavery to such devices, the true fact is that we are developing dependence to all of them.

I realize this when I suddenly was left without electricity and found that I had forgotten that news can be read on printed newspaper, reference can be found in paper books, while it's still possible listen to the radio when it comes to enjoy music.

We may not be slaves, but technology dependency is just the same.

6. arupmi

arupmi New Member

This is a topic in which I feel we can't generalize. I know extremely busy professionals who do not answer phones while talking to someone else even though they have dozens of incoming calls. Handling electronic gadgets is just an extension of your manners in the non-electronic world. In all probability, if you are a polite human being in the first place, you will automatically inculcate good phone habits as well. Such etiquette is pretty common sense. Alas, there are too many people who do not possess such sense. But if you look deeper, these people would probably be less than good-mannered even in the non-electronic realm. So let's not blame technology for this - it's how we use it that makes the difference.

Christopher likes this.
  7. stranger_47

stranger_47 Member

electronic gadgets sometimes interrupt you to relax. Media social apps are quite addiction because it is the easiest way to interact with friends and family. It could bring negligence while we are multitasking using electronic gadgets. To be honestly we are half slave to electronic gadget and not fully engage slave to electronic gadgets. Hehehe...
    only my opinion.

Slave def:
    slave
    slāv/
    noun
    historical
    1. 1.
      a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.
      synonyms: historicalserf, vassal, thrall; More

verb
    1. 1.
      work excessively hard.
      "after slaving away for fourteen years, all he gets is two thousand"
      synonyms: toil, labor, grind away, sweat, work one's fingers to the bone, work like a Trojan/dog;More

8. Christopher

Christopher Member

Personal Trainer
    I feel that majority of people who have access to phones - smart phones to be exact - are definitely slaves to electronics, games & THE INTERNET. It's that need for curiosity and just the fact that there is always something new to read, see, hear, experience, etc. I guess we are discussing the bad side of the issue as I also believe that it has such a great impact on how people communicate with other humans in person. It decreases their social skills and makes you miss more of life I guess. Having said that, it can help productivity and also connect millions worldwide.

Ending, I think it depends on how you use your electronic device that makes the difference. Use it to your advantage and in moderation or IT WILL USE YOU.