A Different Perspective on Personal Mastery?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Kevin Mahoney, Jul 5, 2017. Replies: 4 | Views: 250

1. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    “Personal mastery fosters the personal motivation to continually learn how our actions affect our world. Without personal mastery, people are so steeped in the reactive mindset (“someone/something else is creating my problems”) that they are deeply threatened by the systems perspective.” (Senge, 2006, p. 12)

This past week, I started reading another book. The book from Peter Senge is title The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. As the title alludes to, the book explores the development of systems thinking, to help groups become learning organizations. Much of the book is focused on viewing things from an organizational level. While I do not want to limit myself, the truth is that I work for a large public organization and I am not a “decision maker” regarding organizational direction. As a result, when I am reading material that is focused on organizational direction, I tend to look for material that I can immediately apply to myself and my personal growth.

The above quote is one that really got me thinking, since reading it a few days ago. What caught my attention was the idea of learning a new way to look at my definition of personal mastery. Senge (2006) states ““personal mastery fosters the personal motivation to continually learn how our actions affect our world” (p. 12). I tend to think of personal mastery as another way of saying emotional self-control. Such a view, implies that personal mastery is all about me. However, Senge’s view of personal mastery being connected to observing how our actions affect those around us, makes the importance of personal mastery seem even greater than it already is.

Is your view of personal mastery focused more on yourself or your impact on others?

Does personal mastery take on more importance when you add a community perspective?

How do you motivate yourself to keep growing in personal mastery?

Senge, P. (2006). The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. New York: Crown Business.

msuccess likes this.

2. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    I do my best and always strive to do better in life financially and improve at everything I do.

3. Tj Hines

Tj Hines New Member

Real Estate Investor | Blogger |Mentor
    Personal mastery is what is. It's mastering and conquering self. There's no way that you can contribute and offer value to communities or organizations if you don't have desire to master yourself first.

The benefit of mastering yourself first are the organizations and communities that will then be in direct receipt of all of your knowledge you have to share. By mastering yourself first and foremost will be much easier to align organizations and communities in harmony with one another.

There is a great book that touches on this called the "7 Habits of Highly Effective People." The 4th habit "seek to understand first." aligns with personal mastery affecting others. But it comes after the 1st 3 habits to be learned to master self which is #1 Be proactive. #2 Begin with the end in mind and #3 First things first.

msuccess likes this.
  4. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    TJ thanks for mentioning 7 Habits... I am constantly looking for helpful books to read. I have not read, or even thought about, 7 Habits in ..... forever. Definitely worth another read.

5. Tj Hines

Tj Hines New Member

Real Estate Investor | Blogger |Mentor
    Absolutely. No problem. Btw love your contributions